Nepalese Food In Sukhumvit 31

mauiguy90

Just a very nice meal at a Nepalese restaurant called Himalaya, which is located towards the deep in the soi, at the end of Sukhumvit 31. There is no actual sign for the restaurant, just one for the guesthouse, which is labeled "Himalaya Residence", on the left side of the soi, just before it veers right and eventually connects with Sukhumvit 39. My Nepalese friend said it was about a 5 minute walk from Sukhumvit, but it actually took close to 15 minutes to walk there.

The food is actually a combination of Nepalese and Indian food, which makes sense since they are neighboring countries. They had samosas, chicken tandoori and some familiar curries but also some uniquely Nepalese dishes. My favorite was the chicken momo, which by the description sounded Chinese(dim sum), but came served with an awesome tomato sauces mixed with spices. We also had the mutton curry, which my friend said was supposed to be goat although the menu said lamb (we didn't ask). We were served a large plate of garlic naan, had a spicy chicken dish (#24?) and a potato salad dish(bit on the sour side-not so great). (Sorry I can't remember the names of the Nepalese dishes--have to go there for yourself.)

Most of the dishes, with the exception of the mutton curry were under 100 baht a serving. They also had a set meal deal for 175 baht which included a chili chicken momo, which is a spicier version what I had. Altogether it was a very good meal at a reasonable price in a simple setting that wasn't exactly exotic but makes you feel like you are in another part of Asia. Definitely worth the price for some pretty good food that you won't find elsewhere in Sukhumvit.

I quite enjoy Mutton Momo, and Nepalese Briyani is also tasty.

Suprised the potato dish wasnt much good, my favourite Nepalese dishes are the spud based ones. Every place seems to do it differently, but they're all good. I reckon most of the "mutton" in Nepal would actually be goat, as you see loads of them about but relatively few sheep.

Mind you, there’s loads of cows and not much beef J

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give Himalaya a try.

I quite enjoy Mutton Momo, and Nepalese Briyani is also tasty.

Suprised the potato dish wasnt much good, my favourite Nepalese dishes are the spud based ones. Every place seems to do it differently, but they're all good. I reckon most of the "mutton" in Nepal would actually be goat, as you see loads of them about but relatively few sheep.

Mind you, there's loads of cows and not much beef J

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give Himalaya a try.

Hey LE,

Just keep your eyes open as the road begins to turn right. Himalaya is deep in the soi, on the left hand side of the road. If you aren't walking, you can easily pass it. There is a motorcycle stand close to it, so besides the sign for the guesthouse, that might be your best landmark.

I think the mutton at Himalaya was lamb, although my friend did say that they use goat in Nepal. The potato dish wasn't horrible, but it did have a pickled taste that my friend said was not characteristic of that Nepalese dish. He also in Nepal, the chicken dish is made with raw chicken mix with a bunch of citrus and herbs which cook the chicken, however, noted that the dish is fully cooked at Himalaya. It was a bit on the dry side but had a spicy flavor, if you like hot food (similar to thai). FYI, they are open on Sundays--Bon apetit!!!

Edited by mauiguy90

I will be in BKK next week staying off Suk 22 so I think I will try it out.

I will take my motosai though, bugger walking that far.

FYI There is a motorcycle stand at the beginning of the soi you can use. The motorcycle guys probably recognize the name Himalaya although I hate to think how the thai pronounciation of the word sounds like. Maybe "Hi-ma-ma-ma-ma...." or something like that. If they don't understand, tell them "Soot soi" or the end of the soi. Its before the end of the soi so keep your eyes out for the Himalaya sign on the left.

I will be in BKK next week staying off Suk 22 so I think I will try it out.

I will take my motosai though, bugger walking that far.

FYI There is a motorcycle stand at the beginning of the soi you can use. The motorcycle guys probably recognize the name Himalaya although I hate to think how the thai pronounciation of the word sounds like. Maybe "Hi-ma-ma-ma-ma...." or something like that. If they don't understand, tell them "Soot soi" or the end of the soi. Its before the end of the soi so keep your eyes out for the Himalaya sign on the left.

OK I am easy either way, just sort of fat and lazy I suppose

• 5 months later...

I recently returned from the states, where my Nepalese Daughter-in-Law made me some vegetable Momos and "pickle" sauce, fresh tomato and Chile cooked to a paste with added cumin.

That was great, she showed me how to make then ,very simple, Have not tried them yet.

Will try it soon !

Cheers :)