Spouse Visa

I wonder if anybody can help me? I have a Thai friend who wants to come and work in the UK. She has a Spouse Visa which runs out later this year (She was actually married in Britain and holds an UK marriage certificate). The problem is that she is separated from the husband whose name is on the marriage certificate....Will she be able to get an extension on the Spouse Visa? And can she work in the UK on a Spouse Visa? The goal is for her to work in the UK. She hs considered the Student Visa but I understand there is a limit of hours worked per week on it. What would be her best option(s)? Thanks.

Hi Hadrian,

One of the criteria for getting a spouse visa is that you intend to live together permanently and as your friend is separated from her husband this requirement would not be fulfilled. Consequently, if your friend attempted to go to the UK and this were/became known to the immigration officer then she would be refused leave to enter and returned to Thailand. If she secured entry she would then be unlawfully in the UK and would not be able to secure an extention of her leave as in order to do so she would have to prove that she is still living with her husband.

So, I'm afraid not.

Cheers,

Scouse.