What Does "farang Haeng!" Mean? Deragatory?

Portlandstone

imho a Derivation from "Haeng Ka Tua" - Selfish!

เห็น hen[R] and แห้ง haeng[F] have completely different sounds. There exists no such shortening of เห็นแก่ตัว hen[R] kae[L] tua[M].

I am not sure if it is a dialect expression. If not, then as others have said, แห้ง means 'dry' or 'dried up'.

Are you skinny and wrinkly by any chance?

เห็น hen[R] and แห้ง haeng[F] have completely different sounds. There exists no such shortening of เห็นแก่ตัว hen[R] kae[L] tua[M].

I am not sure if it is a dialect expression. If not, then as others have said, แห้ง means 'dry' or 'dried up'.

That fits, every time I have heard the term used it has always been in the context of smaller or skinnier people.

I'm in my upper 30s, slender and active so I doubt I look old. I was wearing a decent pair of shorts and a collared shirt, didn't look sloppy unless they think I should be wearing Armani. The two girls were youngish looking lezzies, you know the kind like "we don't need men, we are men" etc... But then again I could be wrong about that as I only barely glanced.. Anyhow I'm usually good at sensing peoples tone of voice and gaining their meaning but in this case it seems it could mean absolutely anything and I really can't guess their meaning - for all I know they could have been flirting or cracking a joke on me. The reason I ask on here is because of the second word "haennggg" with a bit of elongated stress on it. By the way don't take my spelling literally, it indeed could have been "hen" or "heng" or "han" etc... Oh yah, the situation they said this was as I was walking past them at a full stride pace -- it seems to me Thai people don't like being passed up on foot (losing face?), perhaps that could be included in their expression(?).

Were the girls eating fruit? Maybe they just bought some pre-sliced farang and didn't like it because it was too dry.

One of the biggest disappointments of my life was while working in Bangkok and 2 of the office babes were at the water cooler.

One said "Chawp gin farang" and the other replied "Maak maak"

Mentally canceling my plans for a quiet night in front of the TV after work I looked up from my desk to crushingly see them winding into a bag of guava with gusto. :)

Edited by mca

Thanks for the enlightenment, it's the little difference, being able to read, but still it leaves you too in the dark somewhere...

interesting where this is leading to, it paints the picture that Thai-chit-chat is not to be taken virtually!

Some have the tendency to comment and yakety-yak about everything and everyone is absolutely, most enjoyed pastime!

But being on the receiving end of such comments will derail them in a way that they might turn to "Rambo the Destroyer" no matter what!

Well, TiT!

It might have been ฝรั่งหัวแดง Could easily be mistaken for what you heard. A bit difficult to translate the actual meaning (literally - foreign head red), but you can rest assured it's not particularly complimentary.

Apparently in Isaan and Northern dialect, แฮง means strong, which would fit in with you 'striding past them'.

That seems the most likely explanation.

แฮง = แรง ("energetic," in this case)

If you don't know these people , why would you automatically assume they were making a disparaging remark about you?

If you were striding past them at farang warp speed and they were heel dragging flip flop Thai speed then this remark would make perfect sense...