Russian Tourist Falls Through Gap In Railings At The Pattaya Mountain Viewpoint.

Rimmer

Pattaya, December 7 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : Just before 6pm on Sunday, rescue services received a call to assist a Russian Tourist who had fallen through railing at the famous Pattaya Viewpoint at the top of the Pratamnuk Hill. Mrs. Natalia Galkina aged 38 had apparently fallen 5 meters as she lost her footing and fell through a gap in the metal railings. She sustained injuries to her right arm, while her Husband suffered minor injuries to his left leg. The pair were taken to Hospital while others examined the gap and noticed that similar gaps were covered with potted plants. A full report of the accident has been lodged with Pattaya City Hall who will investigate the dangerous gaps in the railings as a matter of urgency.

http://www.pattayaone.net/news

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]7 Dec 2009

post-22250-1260186368_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1260186383_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1260186395_thumb.jpg

A full report of the accident has been lodged with Pattaya City Hall who will investigate the dangerous gaps in the railings as a matter of urgency.

and are looking for somebody who can quickly deliver some more potted plants.

Just another example of how shoddy and poorly maintained the infrastructure is not only in Pattaya but in many places around the region. You cannot relax for one minute, every step is potentially your introduction to the Thai medical care system.

It’s been that way for ages.

I was there over a year ago and it took all of one second to realize it was an accident waiting to happen. I’d even put my last cent on the fact it’s happened a number of times before.

Thai’s really should consider employing farangs as advisors who have basic common sence and consider safety as a priority.

I sometimes wonder which planet these people originated from to be installing and thinking that type of rail is safe with a drop that’s so deep you’d need a parachute to break your fall.

It’s been that way for ages.

I was there over a year ago and it took all of one second to realize it was an accident waiting to happen. I’d even put my last cent on the fact it’s happened a number of times before.

Thai’s really should consider employing farangs as advisors who have basic common sence and consider safety as a priority.

I sometimes wonder which planet these people originated from to be installing and thinking that type of rail is safe with a drop that’s so deep you’d need a parachute to break your fall.

The answer you are looking for is "cheap" just like everything the city council does. It all looks nice but a combination of cheap construction, no maintenance/repair and light fingered populace means within a short time it becomes an eyesore and dangerous. Just look at the area around the lighthouse, probably looked real nice in the photos with Mr Mayor but now is a disgrace to the city and the country as a whole. Whatever was held in place by those three little anchor bolts probably took all of five minutes to remove when a simple tack weld, although no guarantee, would have made the theft ten times as difficult.

I agree with a lot of what has been said above re construction standards and HSE awareness. However I think we all need to accept a measure of responsibility in looking after ourselves. Looking at the photos in the news report, you do not need to be a genius to work out that it would be wise to stay away from the edge of that drop.

There are lots of potentially dangerous sites in most countries, a lot of them in out of the way locations, and I for one would not want to see railings and fences installed everywhere.

Londo

She was very lucky.

That is quite a drop.

Perhaps she had had quite a drop before she fell. Cannot be ruled out.

:) Ohhh dear, the old, in the absents of real facts, lets just make them up. :D

And a respectable Mr and Mrs tourist. The very type the city council now claim they want to attract.