Police Officers Caught Smuggling Migrant Workers

webfact

Police officers caught smuggling migrant workers

gallery_327_1086_32131.jpg

Attempts to get 'work visas' for the estimated 100,000 Burmese

workers living in Phuket have largely failed because most are

ethnic Mon who are not recognized as citizens by the ruling

Burmese junta. File photo.

PHUKET CITY: Two police officers in Ranong were caught using a police truck to illegally transport migrant workers between jobs on December 6.

Sen Sgt Maj Sombun Yita-amrit, 43, and Sen Sgt Maj Kasem Srisawai, 52, both squad leaders at Phato Police Station in Chumphon, were stopped at an army checkpoint in Ranong's La-un District.

In the back of the truck, soldiers found two men and one woman, all Burmese, as well as a large amount of baggage belonging to the passengers.

The soldiers notified their commanding officer, Col Thim Reuanto, as well as Deputy Inspector Chatchai Hayimama from Ranong Immigration Office.

Sen Sgt Maj Kasem admitted he and his colleague had picked up the workers in Ranong and were taking them to a rubber plantation in Chumphon.

Sen Sgt Maj Kasem said he knew it was wrong to use the police truck, but a friend had asked him to take the workers and he didn't feel he could refuse.

A police inspection of the workers' documents found all three had permission to work in Ranong, but were not allowed to leave the province.

Cpt Chatchai said the two police officers would be charged with human smuggling offenses.

The workers will be charged with leaving the province without permission, he added.

As the policemen were being arrested, many villagers came out to criticize them and complain about the police role in human smuggling.

With its growing real estate market, Phuket has been a destination for many Burmese workers, both registered and unregistered, in recent years.

The problem – and the alleged role of government officers in human smuggling rackets – reached the international spotlight when 54 unregistered Burmese on their way to construction sites in Phuket suffocated in the back of a refrigerated truck in April 2008.

One former Kathu Police officer, kicked off the force and known to have still been active in Burmese smuggling rackets, was shot dead outside his luxury home in Patong two months later.

Some have claimed he was linked to the tragedy in Ranong and that the execution-style murder was a silence killing.

The murder remains unsolved.

Efforts by the Thai government to work with their Burmese counterparts to set up a 'work visa' program for migrant laborers has been greatly hindered by the fact that the military junta there does not recognize members of ethnic groups like ethnic Mon or Rohingya as Burmese citizens, even they they live in territory claimed by Burma.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/12/8

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

You know, I'm always amused by the incredulity of some of the posters on this forum.

The Royal Thai Police have been demanding at least 7 thousand Thai Baht per 'illegal worker' aka Burman/Mon for years.

When I asked my own builder here on Phuket why there were no workers on site on a particular day, he told me he was late in paying the sinbon - bribe - Royal Thai Police fee - and that there wouldn't be a problem, he'd simply have to go into town that afternoon and divi up. And that was five years ago.

Having said that, the fact that they are now reporting it is 1. A good thing, as a longstanding practice is at least being addressed, for how long, well, who can see here? or 2. They have to be seen to be doing something about this insidious double standard from whom the Royal Thai Police are the profiteers on the backs of the poor Burman/Mon via the Thai builder unwilling or unable to procure Thai workmen.

Hate to be cynical, but I'm going for 2.

Edited by jjonz

Gee, you guys make it sound like the RTP are the only corrupt folks in Thailand. After spending a few months here I can say the entire culture is corrupt, top to bottom. The RTP is just the most obvious and easiest example of this corruption.

Hats off to the army for not turning a blind eye.

I have always found the army very courteous, professional, diligent and never looking for a shakedown backhander when I have been stopped at border area checkpoints on my travels. Only by those other thieving bunch of gits at theirs, everywhere in Thailand.

Something should really be done by the government, because without a major reform of the RTP nothing much will change in this country in terms of corruption

Hats off to the army for not turning a blind eye.

I have always found the army very courteous, professional, diligent and never looking for a shakedown backhander when I have been stopped at border area checkpoints on my travels. Only by those other thieving bunch of gits at theirs, everywhere in Thailand.

Something should really be done by the government, because without a major reform of the RTP nothing much will change in this country in terms of corruption

Not being able to leave the province sounds like slavery to me. Who are they working for and what are they being paid?

Gee, you guys make it sound like the RTP are the only corrupt folks in Thailand. After spending a few months here I can say the entire culture is corrupt, top to bottom. The RTP is just the most obvious and easiest example of this corruption.

We serve and protect - ourselves.

I see this topic has brought out the veteran TV members (4 posts, 2 posts etc...) LOL

Not exactly a "veteran" yourself, are you LG? Just a few months as a member, but already firmly in the "Thaier than Thai" camp. Pity you couldn't comment on the actual news story itself, instead of taking cheap digs at other posters.

My thoughts exactly catmac , what is it with some members constantly crying down newbies etc , do they think an occassional poster has no right to an opinion ? The only way I can think to slow these characters down is to give them a short vacation , make them realise all posters on an open forum are born equal and entitled to a decent post .

I see this topic has brought out the veteran TV members (4 posts, 2 posts etc...) LOL

Not exactly a "veteran" yourself, are you LG? Just a few months as a member, but already firmly in the "Thaier than Thai" camp. Pity you couldn't comment on the actual news story itself, instead of taking cheap digs at other posters.

And your comment - instead of taking cheap shots?

Why is anyone surprised at the Thai Police being at the centre of corruption, rather than doing the job they are (albeit poorly) paid for.

As someone suggested many months ago - cut the numbers (250k +) of the useless pricks down, pay them properly, and put them in jail if they choose not to do the job they are being paid for.

But I am not holding my breath.

Edited by jackspratt

I have to say those cops were aeither stupid or arrogant. There are 3 permanent army checkpoints that I know of. One on highway 4 near the Royal Signature stone on the Ranong Chumpon border. Another which is on a road between La-Un and Thung Tako. The other one is where they were caught is near Phato. Using the route to Thung Tako, which I suspect they did. They must have thought they would get away with it.

Edited by Mosha

I have to say those cops were aeither stupid or arrogant. There are 3 permanent army checkpoints that I know of. One on highway 4 near the Royal Signature stone on the Ranong Chumpon border. Another which is on a road between La-Un and Thung Tako. The other one is where they were caught is near Phato. Using the route to Thung Tako, which I suspect they did. They must have thought they would get away with it.

Sorry ignore the near Phato, I misread the original report. The road they were caught on is well travelled by La-Un residents going South. The route is shorter by 25km. Me I prefer the extra 25 km. :)

"Sen Sgt Maj Kasem said he knew it was wrong to use the police truck, but a friend had asked him to take the workers and he didn't feel he could refuse"

So he get his orders from his friends, and an order he feels that he cant refuse. Just that attitude alone should be enough to boot him out of the RTP.

haha I noticed that too. I'm considered a newb but I certainly wouldn't attack others with less posts than myself of course. :D Needless to say there are many negative posts regarding scams etc. on TV. Kind of kills the enthusiam I once had about moving there. I still think it was beautiful and the people very kind. Hopefully only these bad things happen to people that are looking for it. I certainly don't. I just want to get along with everyone. :)