Cold Spell Affects 34 Provinces In Thailand

george

Cold spells affect 34 provinces

BANGKOK: -- The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department reports that 34 provinces in Thailand are severely hit by cold weather.

12 of the 34 provinces are in the North, 19 in the Northeast, and two in the Central, and one in the East.

Three million people from 700,000 households have been affected by coldness. 170,00 of them are in Nakhon Ratchasima province, followed by Ubon Ratchathani with 140,600, and Udon Thani with 134,600.

Currently, the province with the lowest temperature is Chiang Mai with 3 degrees Celsius, followed by 9 degrees in Loei and 12.6 degrees in Nakhon Nayok.

Blankets and warm clothing are distributed to people in the mentioned regions.

-- prd.go.th 2009-12-12

living here in metro Ubon but really haven't experienced this 'cold spell'? infact I think latter November was cooler for Ubon than

now. the lowest i've seen it was 22'C inside the house which was just perfect and pleasant temperature.

living here in metro Ubon but really haven't experienced this 'cold spell'? infact I think latter November was cooler for Ubon than

now. the lowest i've seen it was 22'C inside the house which was just perfect and pleasant temperature.

for thai people 15 degrees its verry cold loll

Chiangmai means Chiangmai province and that up in the mountains to where the temp goes down.

But it can be very cold in the city to the most i have experienced here in the city is -6 degrees centigrades in the morning .

So dont laugh at the Temps. :)

Chiangmai means Chiangmai province and that up in the mountains to where the temp goes down.

But it can be very cold in the city to the most i have experienced here in the city is -6 degrees centigrades in the morning .

I have lived in Chiang Mai for 8 years and it has never been -6C in the city, FACT. If it was that cold there would be sheets of ice on the road.

Now that would be interesting watching a Thai trying to cope with those conditions, LOL...

sorry just do not believe -6 C in the city that would mean -10 c and below in the mountains

This article is absolute nonsense. Isaan is presently in the middle of a warm spell for the "cool" season. The temperatures are balmy here in Khon Kaen, and I suspect, every other province in Isaan. The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Dept must be living on a different planet, or more likely, desparate to take a cut of the budget created by calling a "disaster". It's one of the oldest (and most lucrative) tricks in the book, for Thai officialdom who have power over budgets at central level. Call a flood, drought, or cold spell "disaster" and it's like opening a tap of money. No one complains or disputes the "disaster", as lots get a cut of the action, right down to the villagers who get a free blanket (in this case) or goody bag (in the case of a flood). But normally, they wait til it gets a bit colder for real, before calling a "disaster". Maybe they're worried this government won't be around til the end of the cool season and are calling time early this year, to make sure the budget is (ab)used in good time. :)

That 3 degrees celcius is maybe on top of the doi inthanon.. but not in chiang mai town...

think Thai people do not know what really cold is....

we flew back yesterday CM-Phuket, first time my gf had ever been north of Bangkok, and yes she found it 'cold' I think it was 15 deg overnight temp - for me it was a pleasant break being able to sleep under a duvet.

And a little irony - I get back to Phuket and now have a 'cold'. Pass the tissues please.

this past week has been unusually hot in Pattaya, Wed temp was 34. Dec of 2008 was much cooler.

oh, few posts above.. I simply can't take seriously a statement about the city of ChiangMai having temp -6C, ever. AFTER the ice age, of course

I live in Chiang Mai aswell.... but -6C.. HAHAHA,,,,

You just made me laugh....

Maybe +16C???

Check you temperture meter..

Edited by kalbo123

Lowest and highest temperatures on record:

THAILAND

Bangkok 9.9 40.8

Pattaya 14.6 37.3

Phuket Town 16.9 37.8

Koh Chiang 15 36.9

Koh Lanta 19.1 38.5

Koh Samui 18.6 36.5

Surat Thani 12.4 39.7

Narathiwat 17.1 39

Chiang Mai 3.7 41.8

Chiang Rai 1.5 41.3

Udon Thani 2.5 43.9

Ubon Ratchathani 7.6 42.4

Sakon Nakhon -1.4 42.3

Dan Sai -1.5

Uttaradit 4.5 44.5

Doi Inthanon -8

Source

I have lived in Chiang Mai for 8 years and it has never been -6C in the city, FACT. If it was that cold there would be sheets of ice on the road.

Now that would be interesting watching a Thai trying to cope with those conditions, LOL...

me too and the lowest i can remember was 13.7 recorded at the airport.Think he means Shanghai not Chiangmai

Stayed Udon, close to Kumphawapi from 16th November till 8th of December. A house were my thai wife and I stayed was just completed for her parents. Even the house is modern, cheap and thin tiles plus 1 glass pane in every window means it's far away from the Western standards. And even I told my wife (about 20 times) that tell them to put insulation under roof, insulation doesn't exist. I must say that except the first night, it was dam_n cold early mornings. I had to put more clothes on when heading to bed than I dress here in Finland. One morning when I got up about 5:30AM, I saw my breathing air get steamed, so it was cold.

For Esarn people, living those old houses, this cold spell really affects and I understand coverment concerning about it.