New Friendship In Bangkok

Hern

Hello my name is Andy and i have just arrived in Bangkok from Scotland. I am 30 yrs old, male and i am an artist/designer and musician (electronic).

I would be really greatfull to anyone willing to meet me and see if we get along and maybe become friends. So far i am loving this city but im sure i could get a lot more out of it with some company to share the experiences with. I really have no preconcieved idea about age, gender, nationality, religion, sexuality etc im more than happy to meet just about anyone.

I like to laugh and i am very open minded, accepting, non judgemental and inquisitive in nature. I should explain that i am far from a practicing Buddhist but since i was a young man i have been very interested in all things regarding spirituality , religion and philosophy etc and throughout my seeking knowledge / wisdom in this life everything i have read from Buddha rings true with me and i am not adverse to finding out more and gaining a better understanding of his teachings and practices. I love to debate the really meaty subject matters of life with people so if you are into this im sure we can have a good conversation or two :D

I should stress that the primary function of me posting here (and also being in Bangkok) is not purely about learning more on Buddhism rather its about meeting new people and hopefully friends to share my time here with. The reason I posted in this section is because i felt i had a better chance of finding like minded people.

I do not currently own a working cellphone but it is something i plan on gaining in the next few days. I hope we can find a way of arranging to meet without one though im sure the world did work before these devices were invented :)

So thats my small cry for help in this sea of information any response is appreciated.

Regards Andy x

I should stress that the primary function of me posting here (and also being in Bangkok) is not purely about learning more on Buddhism rather its about meeting new people and hopefully friends to share my time here with.

I think you'll have more luck with this in the Bangkok forum, so I'm moving it there. The Buddhist forum will still be able to see it.

I should stress that the primary function of me posting here (and also being in Bangkok) is not purely about learning more on Buddhism rather its about meeting new people and hopefully friends to share my time here with.

I think you'll have more luck with this in the Bangkok forum, so I'm moving it there. The Buddhist forum will still be able to see it.

Thankyou 2 forums for the price of one cant argue with that sorry however if i posted in an innapropriate place initially.

I would also like to explain that i am quite happy to go for a beer or shopping or a wander in the park etc and my conversations are not all "meaty" im really just looking to enjoy myself and have fun at the end of the day.

Music is a great passion of mine and i produce my own electronica for various labels in the west and i am a self employed designer working online so art / design is ofcourse another area of interest for me. I will probably be in Bkk anything from 3 - 12 months. Anyway at the risk of sounding desperate / selling myself ill stop here please feel free to PM me on here if you are interested in a meet.

Edited by Hern

The Londoner ,Dubliner,Bulls Head,Crossbar,Offshore and Mucky Duck spring to mind and although you may not get too much conversation on the spiritual aspects of religion you should encounter some characters ..nee spirits.

Buddism is very much within and is an important part of the everyday life of the Thais but they tend to keep it to themselves and I am glad to say unlike other "nuttys" dont force it on anyone.

Did my own stint in our local Wat a couple of years ago.......Kojak haircut with the trendy orange gear and even although had to get up at 5-00 am for a chant with no booze or food after mid-day..quite enjoyed it..but I am still an Athesist :)

Now the head monk is me "old Mucker" and we have just about finished the new house/school in the Mai which will be blessed by some Big Head guy in February (special day...MKJ)

Should you finally need a refreshing accent there is a wee scottish pub up by the Queens hotel opposite Cowboys old Bar.(red hand)....nice guy frae...G.....

welcome to Bangkok Hern

a few people get together on unofficial parties every now and then, and they usually post threads in the bangkok forum

another place is to check the footie forum (mostly english footie fans) - they seem to get together once every blue moon (:) at my own understatement) and the current hangout seems to be at the Cross Bar in Suk 23

you can find them here

Thankyou Rinrada, thankyou MiG16 :)

I will try dropping into one of the spots mentioned above and i will keep an eye out for get togethers etc Hopefully i will find somone to get along with!

I already love the feel of this city but everything is more fun when you can share right? :D

Hi Andy,

Just want to wish you the best in finding like-minded people. Im sure you will! I dont have suggestions, sorry, as i live in Chiang Mai. If you havent explored the country much and been up this way, then i recommend you check Chiang Mai out. Chiang Mai is more laid back than Bangkok and its very arty and big on the music scene. Not as big as Bangkok of course! Just that if you want an arty city with less of a big city feel..this place is pretty great.

Oh and btw..im a Scot too! :)

Edited by eek

There are meetings at the Buddhist Center at Bensiri Park the first two Sundays of the month. One of the meetings is more based on meditation, and the other is more focused on Buddhism. You can meet lots of people there who have similar interests and find out about other related meetings. If you are not familiar, Bensiri Park is located on the right hand side of the Emporium. (There is a meeting today.)

Thankou eek, thankyou mauiguy90 :D

Chiang Mai sounds interesting i really have no set plan as to where i need to be etc Bangkok feels good so far and ill certainly stay here a while and get to know the place but maybe i would like a more layed back spot in the long run as im from a country spot back in Scotland and i do love nature! So i will certainly come to check the place out at some point thanks so much for the reccomendation eek. Hope you are havin a braw time up there lassy :)

mauiguy90 i made it along to the meeting today but i only caught the last 15 - 20 minutes maybe you were there and saw me lookin rather nervous and unsure of myself XD I will definately make the next meeting on the 10th of Jan and hopefully ill get a better grasp of things and also properly introduce myself. I completely forgot my manners and failed to do so when given the oppurtunity sorry! Once again thanks so much for the pointer :D

Thankou eek, thankyou mauiguy90 :)

mauiguy90 i made it along to the meeting today but i only caught the last 15 - 20 minutes maybe you were there and saw me lookin rather nervous and unsure of myself XD I will definately make the next meeting on the 10th of Jan and hopefully ill get a better grasp of things and also properly introduce myself. I completely forgot my manners and failed to do so when given the oppurtunity sorry! Once again thanks so much for the pointer :D

Hern,

Glad you made it to the meeting. Friends of mine go there regularly, altho' I don't go myself. A number of them get together regularly and also attend Dharma meetings. If I hear of any such meetings, I will PM you.