Narry Hotel Or Album Hotel

Chaimai

I've been in the hotel lobby a few times, because I made the mistake of buying pants and shirts at the Narry Tailor shop. (Cue the rant, but live & learn). You get what you pay for at the hotel and tailorshop. On one of my visits there, I saw some poor fellow getting exasperated at the desk over some problem or other with his room. Happens at the best of hotels I know, but it turned me off. It has an Indian clientele and they are not the type of Indians that would stay at an Oberoi. It's on a busy, noisy soi. If you are into Burger King and McDonalds, they are within walking distance :)

There are more calm and restful places to stay just as close to the beach. Just my opinion and biased since I was not impressed by Narry's tailoring. I'm sure there are people that like the place because of it's low cost and location.

I've been in the hotel lobby a few times, because I made the mistake of buying pants and shirts at the Narry Tailor shop. (Cue the rant, but live & learn). You get what you pay for at the hotel and tailorshop. On one of my visits there, I saw some poor fellow getting exasperated at the desk over some problem or other with his room. Happens at the best of hotels I know, but it turned me off. It has an Indian clientele and they are not the type of Indians that would stay at an Oberoi. It's on a busy, noisy soi. If you are into Burger King and McDonalds, they are within walking distance :)

There are more calm and restful places to stay just as close to the beach. Just my opinion and biased since I was not impressed by Narry's tailoring. I'm sure there are people that like the place because of it's low cost and location.

Thanks geritrickid - that is the sort of comment I was looking for. Nothing is actually 'cheap' in January and if I am going to pay over 3,000 Baht a night I would like somwhere half-decent. My problem is that I cannot find reviews for the Narry or the Album Hotel - the latter looks to be in a calmer location but I think it is quite new ?

Over 3,000 baht? Wow. Definitely not worth it for that place. I suggest you have a quick look at trip advisor, just to get an idea of some of the places available. You might want to have a look at some of those last minute booking urls and of course asia rooms just to get an idea. Sometimes you can pick up a killer deal off of the websites when some tour operator dumps excess capacity. I know the beach strip because I walk it regularly, and outside of the big hotels like the well regarded Holiday Inn and new Mariott, alot of the hotels/guesthouses look sketchy. Walk a few blocks inland and the price comes down. I am surprised some people didn't mention some of the nicer guesthouses or even the newish BarameeHip Hotel behind Jungceylon. Never stayed there, but it looked nice enough and its high season rate is between 1400 and 2000 + tax depending upon room type. It's maybe a 15 minute walk to the beach (ok 20 minutes if you are a slob like me) and isn't that far from all the exciting nightlife. You might want to check that out.

Try the Royal Phawadee, www.royal-phawadee-village.com , 5 mins from the beach and 5 mins from the madness of patong yet in a very lush tropical setting. Also you can check reviews on tripadvisor. I think the rate is around 3k THB so within the budget mentioned.

Paddy

Try the Royal Phawadee, www.royal-phawadee-village.com , 5 mins from the beach and 5 mins from the madness of patong yet in a very lush tropical setting. Also you can check reviews on tripadvisor. I think the rate is around 3k THB so within the budget mentioned.

Paddy

Paddy - looks great. Unfortunately, 5,500 Baht per night high season ! This, and Patong Pearl, FULL.

and Patong Pearl, FULL.

You didn't say when in Jan you were visiting.

There were some vacancies at that place according to Latestays.

We are just popping down for 4 days to see friends who have booked a package from the UK. They are staying at the Burasari so we shall get to sample some quality !!

We will give the Album a try. As always, once you have personal experience of an area/resort, it makes it much easier to make a decision.

I would not normally consider this time of the year.