Another Farang Murdered

sriracha john

Similiar in many ways to the Kanchanaburi Policeman murderer case...

another admitteed murderer is free on bail...

another senseless killing:

Suspect: Austrian was ‘disrespectful’

Published on April 19, 2005

A man has surrendered to police to fight charges that he stabbed an Austrian man to death after the foreigner allegedly made disparaging remarks about Thais during a party.

Phitsanu Puttim, 34, the murder suspect, claimed he attacked Andreas Latner, 40, out of anger after the Austrian slapped him on the head during a dispute.

Phitsanu turned himself into Bang Rakam district police station at 9pm on Sunday.

Latner was found dead at 8.30pm the previous evening at the entrance to Ban Raingkadok village in the district. His neck had been slit.

Phitsanu was released on bail on Sunday night after being charged with deliberate murder.

The suspect told investigators that he was drinking with relatives and friends at a house in the village when Latner spotted them and asked to join the party.

After a while, Phitsanu said, Latner started showing contempt for Thais, so he reminded the Austrian that Thais did not like to be treated that way.

Phitsanu claimed Latner became angry at that point and slapped him on the head.

The suspect said he then got upset and hit Latner on the head with a beer bottle, knocking him to the ground.

He said he continued kicking Latner after he went down and later carried the Austrian to his motorcycle, before asking him to leave the party and go home.

Phitsanu said he noticed that Latner was bleeding from the neck, but claimed he did not stab him.

He said a broken piece of glass might have cut the man’s neck when he was knocked down.

Bang Rakam police chief Colonel Phairoj Netikosol said police granted Phitsanu bail because he turned himself in.

He said police believe Latner was stabbed, because his wound was consistent with someone being slashed with a sharp object.

The Austrian’s windpipe was cut in the attack, he said.

The Nation

PHITSANULOK

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add these factors and you may see that the situation was not helped by the farang.

Village mentality

The fact that a farang has married one of 'their' women

Alcohol

The farang touching the Thai man's head

The farang getting angry

Village mentality

Alcohol

The farang getting angry

You sound like you automatically believe him ! Just because he says so, there in the cop shop - dripping with blood.

He's confessed to a killin' - i'm astonished there's bail.

Add these factors and you may see that the situation was not helped by the farang.

Village mentality

Alcohol

The farang getting angry

If that side of the story turns out to be truthful... those factors certainly do play a major role... :o

If that side of the story turns out to be truthful... those factors certainly do play a major role..

Yes, in due course, but an Investigation might be nice first.

"Oh, Police Officer. FYI, I just killed someone and am turning myself in"

"Oh good. Off home you go then. Thanks for the info".

Village mentality

Alcohol

The farang getting angry

None of the above are reasons to hurt somebody but it does show that the farang was way out of depth here due to his ignorance of Thai custom. Not sure I agree with the 'village mentality' and 'farang married one of our women' points though. Many villagers around me cannot remember the last time an assault took place there, nevermind a murder. IMHO Thai men of the jealous kind seem to resent the Thai woman for having possibly gained financially rather than the farang possessing (wrong term I know) one of their women. Can't wait for the day when these village guys direct their anger towards the culprits of their poverty. I quite fancy throwing a brick at certain windows downtown... :o

If that side of the story turns out to be truthful... those factors certainly do play a major role..

Yes, in due course, but an Investigation might be nice first.

"Oh, Police Officer. FYI, I just killed someone and am turning myself in"

"Oh good. Off home you go then. Thanks for the info".

"Wait... before you go, you'll have to post bail."

"OK, that's fair, how much?"

"Well, can you manage B1,000?"

"Sorry officer, no... I can't. I was drinking with my buddies when I killed the guy and we spent all of our money."

"Is there any whiskey left in your drinking bottle?"

"Yeah... there was a third of a bottle."

"That's good enough... Just leave it here and you're free to go."

Hitting the Thais in the head would be very disrespectful in Thai custom...but for that guy to kill Farang there must be more than just that........ who know maybe he was acting like Russel Crow..... Killing is WRONG ! and that Thai guy should be punish.......but then they are all bunch of drunks.. Drink and Drive!! Don't Drink and Kill!

Edited by Anek18

Can't wait for the day when these village guys direct their anger towards the culprits of their poverty. I quite fancy throwing a brick at certain windows downtown... :o

AIS payment center?.... AirAsia booking agency?? Branch studio of ITV???

Well it's a joke isn't it? All these people who say we farang don't have to deal with it because we can go home are having a laugh ... I've got three kids here and a wife plus all her cool family and I'm not bloody well going anywhere - I live here and I have every right to be as piised of as a Thai geezer at this ridiculous state of affairs.

Can't wait for the day when these village guys direct their anger towards the culprits of their poverty. I quite fancy throwing a brick at certain windows downtown... :o

AIS payment center?.... AirAsia booking agency?? Branch studio of ITV???

Well it's a joke isn't it? All these people who say we farang don't have to deal with it because we can go home are having a laugh ... I've got three kids here and a wife plus all her cool family and I'm not bloody well going anywhere - I live here and I have every right to be as piised of as a Thai geezer at this ridiculous state of affairs.

I'm in total agreement with you...

If I didn't care about Thailand, I wouldn't get so angry and yet so sad at the same time....

Hitting the Thais in the head would be very disrespectful in Thai custom...

Not only in Thai custom. If some pisshead in the UK hit me over the head in the pub I sure as h*ll gonna give it to him with whatever comes handy. If he dies in the process, well tough luck.

Not only in Thai custom. If some pisshead in the UK hit me over the head in the pub I sure as h*ll gonna give it to him with whatever comes handy. If he dies in the process, well tough luck.

What's wrong with your fists.If he dies it's called murder.

What's wrong with your fists.If he dies it's called murder.

Nothing wrong with using your fists but not everybody is a Bruce Lee that can think and fight at the same time. In a brawl or street fight you you just grab what comes handy without thinking about the proper "rules of engagement"

Whenever something like this happens, half of the TV crew comes up with shit like

"well he was probably impolite, didn't now the oh so refined "customs & culture" and

thus it was probably his own fault.

Do you really think he doesn't now anything, having a wife and a kid here?

When those Thais get drunk, and a foreigner walks by then they will invite him to the

table and sit down. I doubt the guy asked if he could join "the party".

When he sat down they startet probably to ask the typical questions. And the question

if he was married was surely not missing. Then you can easily imagine that somebody

made a derogatory remark about his partner whom they possibly even don't know.

This could have been the reason for this slap.

Of course this is not accepted as only the locals are allowed to offend and the alien has

to take it without comment, otherwise he will be branded "impolite" or something like

this.

:o

Whenever something like this happens, half of the TV crew comes up with shit like

"well he was probably impolite, didn't now the oh so refined "customs & culture" and

thus it was probably his own fault.

Do you really think he doesn't now anything, having a wife and a kid here?

When those Thais get drunk, and a foreigner walks by then they will invite him to the

table and sit down. I doubt the guy asked if he could join "the party".

When he sat down they startet probably to ask the typical questions. And the question

if he was married was surely not missing. Then you can easily imagine that somebody

made a derogatory remark about his partner whom they possibly even don't know.

This could have been the reason for this slap.

Of course this is not accepted as only the locals are allowed to offend and the alien has

to take it without comment, otherwise he will be branded "impolite" or something like

this.

:D

This is just another assumption of what happened, either way could be true. I often find though that rarely is violence shown towards a foriegner without some even small reason and when the violence comes it is often overly the top brutal (Kanchanaburi case).

I often think when I read situations like this that something like it would not happen to me because I know how to deal with the Thais in the respects of politness, not hitting their heads etc. Who knows, even the shocking Kanch case of those two people getting killed may not have happened if they had a bit more Thai savvy? :o

Of course, this could just be wishful thinking. In any case, the version he gave that will no doubt be backed up by his friends will be the one he gets tried with and no more investigation will be made which leaves us all a bit vunerable were we in a similar sitaution. :D

This is just another assumption of what happened, either way could be true.  I often find though that rarely is violence shown towards a foriegner without some even small reason and when the violence comes it is often overly the top brutal (Kanchanaburi case).

Sure, this was just an assumption.

You are also right that violence is rarely presented without reason. The thing is that ppl

might be full of anger, hate, violence but mind their manners as they do not want to

be seen as the one who started it. Then when the small reason you mentioned is

given they will go over the top.

It is also strange that guys doing the crime are often not serial killers, that is, anybody

could possibly become YOUR killer too.

:o

Edited by Khun Ngo

well the austrian guy is dead so we wont hear the true story, as for some of you guys sticking up for the thai murderer, would you murder someone if they said something bad about you?your family? your mum? i mean to murder someone is a bit harsh to say the least, if you are a devout christian and someone comes upto you and tells you that all christians are the devil, would you murder them?if someone held a cross upside down would you murder them? if someone held a swastika image, would you murder them?if someone said that whatever country you come from, that they are all the spawn of the devil and have the brains of monkeys, would you kill them?or is your upbringing more civilised than that? for some of you i doubt it very much..

the dead austrian

I wonder if you could possibly let us know of the pubs you frequent in the U.K. and I do mean all of them so we can give them a wide berth?

You know, just in case we catch you on a bad day nice to know that morons are still in plentiful supply back in the U.K.

No doubt you are also a supporter of the BNP and how about memebrship of Combat 19?

or even Combat 18

Fair to say though, if someone hits you, why use fists to hit them back, especially if they are bigger than you and you will be pummelled otherwise?

Bottle or whatever is handy is fine, if they don't want to get hit by a bottle then they shouldn't be hitting you in the first place.

Of course the risk of doing serious damage is worse, I heard someone back from home has just been put up on murder charge for stabbing someone in a fight.

That was just in ref to Meom's post, not to the case at hand of the Austrian guy coz nobody knows what happened there.

or even Combat 18

Yes of course, my apologies for not being up to date on the far right in the UK but at this time in the morning... I should have counted the letters in the alphabet.

1=A for Adolph

8 = H Hitler

Nice to know you are in favour of random killing, though tough about someone

"back home" charged with murder just because he killed someone with a knife.

Don't what the worlds coming to when you can't stab someone to death without the police getting involved!