Mrt /bts Conbined Card

Alwaysright

It will be ready before the official launch of the SARL system. The clearing house is there but they are now stuck with who will be the one to control the system for the BMA. (See skyscrapercity for more info).

The integrated ticketing system can be used with:

- BTS

- MRT

- SARL

- BRT

One thing that will be of interest to any old gits like myself, currently I enjoy a 50% discount when using my MRT Smart Card but not on my BTS card, I wonder when there is an integrated card will I receive the discount on both or lose the one I have?

The Bangkok Post indicated recently that an integrated system would be in place "next year".

We will add trains on the Silom line for a freer flow of traffic after some congestion has been reported at the Thon Buri and Wong Wian Yai terminal," Mr Surapong said. :)

I wonder if Mr. Surapong has ever ridden the BTS Silom line at rush hour?

We will add trains on the Silom line for a freer flow of traffic after some congestion has been reported at the Thon Buri and Wong Wian Yai terminal," Mr Surapong said. :)

I wonder if Mr. Surapong has ever ridden the BTS Silom line at rush hour?

Presumably yes, as they are adding capacity to the Silom line. The new train sets are four-cars and those will be deployed on the Silom line while the 3-car sets currently operating on the Silom line will be moved to the Sukhumvit line. Roughly speaking, capacity will go up by 33% on the Silom line, where frequency may continue to be an issue (single track across the river), and up to 50% on the Sukhumvit line.

BTS and Bangkok Metro Plc, which operates the subway in the capital, also expect their single ticketing system will be ready to serve Bangkok commuters early next year. The electronic cards will be available at convenience stores and hypermarkets in the future.

Does anyone what type of card will be utilized? I'm assuming RFID as this is the (only) system used on the MRT while the BTS supports both RFID and magnetic strip readers.

Edited by lomatopo

Does anyone what type of card will be utilized? I'm assuming RFID as this is the (only) system used on the MRT while the BTS supports both RFID and magnetic strip readers.

Yup, any common card will be RFID, specifically MiFare DESfire.

There is currently no interface available for S-ARL and the BRT is dead in the water, at least we'll have a BTS-MRT card (maybe) :)

Presumably yes, as they are adding capacity to the Silom line. The new train sets are four-cars and those will be deployed on the Silom line while the 3-car sets currently operating on the Silom line will be moved to the Sukhumvit line. Roughly speaking, capacity will go up by 33% on the Silom line, where frequency may continue to be an issue (single track across the river), and up to 50% on the Sukhumvit line.

Thanks for the info. It was Mr. Surapong's turn of phrase that amused me, in case you didn't get it. "some congestion has been reported"

SARL will be using the same RFID system :D

As for BRT who knows if anyone is doing anything about it today :S

I understand that BTS have bid to operate the BRT, hopefully that means a fully compatible card :D

SARL does not currently have a compatible card layout (card itself is the same as BTS / MRT) or a CCH link :)

SARL will be using the same RFID system :D

As for BRT who knows if anyone is doing anything about it today :S

I understand that BTS have bid to operate the BRT, hopefully that means a fully compatible card :D

SARL does not currently have a compatible card layout (card itself is the same as BTS / MRT) or a CCH link :)

I still don't know much about BRT. It's more like a day dreaming project still despite the fact that everything is finished but the buses.

The SRT has agreed to follow whatever ticketing system the central ticketing clearing house will use. I bet in the end it will be more like an RFID Debit card that you can use everywhere including 7-11s and stuff since it's much easier to implement (just like Hong Kong's Octopus) but not like Melbourne's MyKi.

The Nation today quoted the Bangkok Governor that the BRT system will be available starting May 15th this year...(will use rented buses, pending settlement of purchasing).....

There is a 'small' issue, these rented buses need to have right hand doors (the platforms are on the median), something they may have overlooked. Our friends in the BMA have a habit of shooting first and finding answers afterwards.

I'll believe this operation date when I see vehicles (not noodle carts) operating on the dedicated lanes. With a long association with Bangkok BRT (and the aborted Chiang Mai BRT) I would love to see this system working.

The Nation today quoted the Bangkok Governor that the BRT system will be available starting May 15th this year...(will use rented buses, pending settlement of purchasing).....

There is a 'small' issue, these rented buses need to have right hand doors (the platforms are on the median), something they may have overlooked. Our friends in the BMA have a habit of shooting first and finding answers afterwards.

I'll believe this operation date when I see vehicles (not noodle carts) operating on the dedicated lanes. With a long association with Bangkok BRT (and the aborted Chiang Mai BRT) I would love to see this system working.

They knew. I read a Thai newspaper and the guy said it was very hard to rent these buses because no local bus companies have newly configurated buses that have doors on the right.

They knew. I read a Thai newspaper and the guy said it was very hard to rent these buses because no local bus companies have newly configurated buses that have doors on the right.

Yup, the buses are also high-floor (platforms are 1m or so), they are not going to be able to simply 'rent' suitable vehicles, at least not locally.

It's been a while since I did any work on the BRT project, but IIRC when the tender for supply of vehicles was issued there were 8 or 9 expressions of interest (read document sets sold) but not one tender, due mainly to the draconian penalties for late delivery.