Do You Let Thai Men Hold Your 7 Mth Old Baby Daugter

dmax

Would also be interesting to see statistic on children drowning or getting into serious accident, west vs thailand. Must be much higher here with parents being unresponsible.

Just in my moobaan, this women has 1 kid, no job and her mom is with her 24/7. her kid managed to drown in the pool before turning 1 year..

How do u live a child under 1 year old alone long enough for it to crawl or semi-walk to the pool then not get back in time to save it? Well its the mai pen rai thai way.

Which is why leaving your kid with randomish thais is NOT a good idea Theres the same kind of people in the west too, but THERES MORE OF THEM here so theres no reason for all the retired bored people to be defending thais.

Also please remember that in this country, everything is built by non-qualified labor. Theres electricity wires coming out of the road, holes everywhere and rats. Supervision should be upped by 10 folds (while the average thai is -10 in vigilence)

While I understand your concerns, there are some awfully dumb things in this particular post.

1. I wouldn't think that Washington State is exactly the swimming pool capital of the world, yet, "An average of 27 Washington State children ages 0–17 years drown each year...the second leading cause of unintentional injury death for children in Washington."

2. You cannot and should not watch a child 24/7, although the extent of supervision, of course, varies with age.

3. Of course, I don't think most people are defending leaving kids with "randomish Thais". But when I was a kid growing up in rural New York State, there were at least 5 homes in my neighborhood that were considered "home" for just about any kid in the neighborhood. The neighbor across the street sometimes took me riding on his horse. Another would play baseball with the neighborhood kids a couple of times a week. Even at a fairly young age we had the freedom to wander back to the various woods, up on the hill, down by the stream. My family had an old school bell that meant time to come home, another a shrill and loud whistle. It's called childhood. But yes, we were taught not to go with or even talk to strangers. Not to go near one particular house (the guy was odd, probably not dangerous). There were rules. But our parents were not panicked 24/7. There needs to be balance.

4. I may be retired but I am not bored. I also have a right to contribute to any postings in this PUBLIC forum. If you want to have private conversations, go elsewhere.

5. Yes, there are the hazards of unworthy construction (to sum up your one sentence) and rats in Thailand. Of course, in my childhood neighborhood there were snakes, foxes, deer, old wells, abandoned buildings, dangerous farm equipment, etc.

And I will leave you with a true story...yes, from an old retired man who over his career in education was responsible for supervising over 24,000 children:

One day a few years ago I was at Central World with my Thai friend who works for the Education Ministry. He noted the school children there and indentified the school they went to by their uniform. I said, "Could we go talk with them?" Of course, he had to translate, but my first question was hold old are you and what grade are you in. One little boy said, "We are in grade 1," to which a little girl replied, "He is a liar, we are in kindergarten." (Again, remember I am related a translated conversation). "Where do all live?" "In Thonburi." How do you get home from school. Paraphrase: "We get on a city bus here to the river. Then we walk down to the boat. Then we cross the river on a boat. We get on another boat to go up the klong to our mooban."

Less than two months later I was back in the States and it was opening week for school. The second day a father stormed in ranting about his daughter's perilous walk across the small school parking lot. And when I say ranting, I do mean ranting. Me: "Why doesn't she just walk on the sidewalk?" Father: "You expect a 13 year old child to know they should walk on the sidewalk?" Me: "Well, yes, if their parent has taught them well."

Parents ought to know where their children are and who they are with. And if you think American parents do once children reach their teenage years, you are greatly mistaken. I'll bet Thai children have more "street smarts" than American children.

Now I realize the thread began about a young child. I realize aprents need to be vigilant. I realize in this particular situation that the parents need to come to an agreement on an appropriate level of supervision...if they can't, that's the fault of their marriage and an inability to compromise between two cultures.

i stopped reading after the first line since you are trying to backup thais on any topic just because it fills your day

"age 0-17" we are talking about little children here, not kids over 3

You should have kept reading.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A child was snatched recently in a Northeastern province and apparently (only hearesay from the locals) this happens as it is easy to whisk them over the order into Laos and then they can be sold. True or not, I know I wouldn't take the chance. It's your kid, don't let it out of your or your families sight, I dont think it is acceptable for it to be with strangers or other kids at that age.

As for the "Thai Men" comment, I agree about drunks but some of the women are just as bad as the men.

Protect your kid at all costs, if you step on a few toes so be it. Better to be looking at her than looking for her.

Agreed.

Although kids are probably snatched and abused as much or more in the big city.

Better safe then sorry.

I also would never consider for a second letting a baby on a motorcyle which is possibly a bigger problem?

I have a great suggestion - you get yourself a baby sling and when your wife needs a break, YOU take the baby since you are clearly so much cleaner and experienced than everyone else. Easy. If the village is not Ok for your child, I'm sure you could learn to solo parent in a luxurious condo somewhere. :) Get a grip, mate...

You can't ask Thai people to stop being Thai. They are a very contact oriented people, and that is not going to change. Many in the west have developed a phobia about physical contact, which is a shame, because its one of the wonderful ways we can connect with others. There was a study done regarding physical contact during a meal, done in the US and Italy. Italians over the course of an hour long meal, touched each other over 60 times, while in the US it was like 2.

What's the point? The culture you choose to live in, regards this behavior as the norm. If the behavior is that traumatic for you, you better move, because you are not going to change it. Personally, I think that showing our affection for others in this way is great. To many repressed, touch deprived people walking around in US, UK, etc, which is probably why you moved to Thailand in the first place. Khao jai mai krup?

Wow. My experience has been the total opposite of many of the posters... I have found the average Thai male to be infinitely more caring and trustworthy with children than their western counterparts. The average western male is a fumbling, disinterested clod when it comes to children - whereas even my two sixteen year old Thai male staff are loving and nurturing with children of all ages (check that with western sixteen year old boys - HA!)

The hygiene issue has been well covered... No need for western levels of hyper-cleanliness, common sense is all that's required, and you end up with a healthier, stronger human being.

Drunkeness? Spell it out again: C-O-M-M-O-N S-E-N-S-E!!

Check out the under five death rates for some common expat countries versus Thailand... hmmmmm - How's it going if you're from the US?

If you go on population density and using your attachment then Thailand is in line with the states. The States has close to five times the population of Thailand give or take the odd 100 thou....

Edited by Garry

I realise the original poster has a point about drunks picking up his baby and the hiegene aspect also needs to be carefully considered.

But having spent many years in Thailand mixing and observing Thai people I feel qualified to say that they as a nation are one of the cleanest in the world under difficult living conditions.

They also love and care deeply for their children (males and females) and anybody elses come to that, and have a fascination for children that I believe is quite charming,normal, and genuine.

Thankfully they havent got to the neurotic paranoid stage that we have in the west, whereby some schools of thought consider all males as potential abusers.

I wonder if the original poster with the biased title of the post inferring that Thai men need to have a careful eye kept on them has a deep rooted fear that Thai men are also potential abusers?

Perhaps the unbiased title could have been "Do you let Thai people hold your 7 mth old baby"

I realise the original poster has a point about drunks picking up his baby and the hiegene aspect also needs to be carefully considered.

But having spent many years in Thailand mixing and observing Thai people I feel qualified to say that they as a nation are one of the cleanest in the world under difficult living conditions.

They also love and care deeply for their children (males and females) and anybody elses come to that, and have a fascination for children that I believe is quite charming,normal, and genuine.

Thankfully they havent got to the neurotic paranoid stage that we have in the west, whereby some schools of thought consider all males as potential abusers.

I wonder if the original poster with the biased title of the post inferring that Thai men need to have a careful eye kept on them has a deep rooted fear that Thai men are also potential abusers?

Perhaps the unbiased title could have been "Do you let Thai people hold your 7 mth old baby"

Heart attack warning; A few years ago, I was in a group of people admiring a young baby. Baby was picked up (naked) and the person pressed his/her face into baby's genitalia and made some sort of snorting/humming noise. I was stunned. Found out later, that this behavior is common in Thailand. I was just a disinterested party. Think it might cause a blown gasket in a father who is sensitive to who picks up his baby. OC

Why are farang parents so dam_n paranoid? I mean, what's wrong with touching the head or the arm of a child? If you see something perverted with that, IMHO, you are the one who has a problem.

Anyway....

I have a little problem and I could some advice from you, dear forumers.

I live in Bangkok in a small soi near Bangna. The condo building where I live is the only one in the soi. The rest of the soi is made of small Thai houses.

Sometimes, when I come back from work, I see a farang guy, 40-ish, who lives in the same building than mine. He is single and I've never seen him with a girlfriend or boyfriend for that matter. And, several times a week, I see him in the street, playing with some of the Thai kids who live in the soi. Granted, he does it in front of the parents and they don't seem to mind... But still, I can't help thinking that there is something quite dodgy about this. I talked about it briefly with my landlord who told me that he is not related in any way to the parents.

By playing with the kids, I mean that he is chasing them, giggling like an idiot, then he picks em up and makes em fly, etc...

Am I right to be suspicious or am I just being paranoid? And if I'm right, what could I do about it?

PS : Before somebody points out that there is a contradiction between my first sentence and the rest, I would like to reiterate that I don't see anything wrong with a local touching a kid's arm or head, especially in a country which hasn't been contaminated with the western "Every man is a potential pedo" paranoia. However, a grown man, born in a country where such a paranoia exists, who spends his afternoons playing with 4 years old who are totally unrelated to him, is something totally different IMHO.

pressed his/her face into baby's genitalia and made some sort of snorting/humming noise

actually, we bite our babies' butts, and after washing (we wash, dont use those stupid baby wipes unless far from running water and soap) their tushes (butts in yiddish for those that dont know) and kiss them; we say they are like muffins just out of the oven..

not genitalia maybe but close enough. i dont know, this whole thread is wierd in its 'non touchy feely with babies' thing. maybe ive been in a non anglo coutnry too long.......

bina

israel

PS : Before somebody points out that there is a contradiction between my first sentence and the rest, I would like to reiterate that I don't see anything wrong with a local touching a kid's arm or head, especially in a country which hasn't been contaminated with the western "Every man is a potential pedo" paranoia. However, a grown man, born in a country where such a paranoia exists, who spends his afternoons playing with 4 years old who are totally unrelated to him, is something totally different IMHO.

Starting your post of like that is pretty stupid when you then go on like that.

I do think it's quite strange to play with children you don't know, but it really doesn't mean that guy is a pedophile. Maybe he had a bad childhood and is reliving it? I know that happens and is even encouraged by therapists.

The basic question is, is he doing anything that seems offensive? Inappropriate touching? How does the children react to him?

Keep an eye on this guy, but be very careful not to ruin someones life by crying 'pedo' if it isn't true.

Why specifically "Thai Men"... like they have some kind of propensity to molest 7 month old babies?

Surely you need to change tone to "I don't like people that I don't know touching my baby"... then you sound normal.

im saying thai men because im living in isaan,we dont have falang men in my villiage so its nothing to do with" race" or thai men ,its any men in general ,ive seen first hand in my own family what happens when you leave children with strangers especially drunken ones. i dont understand why some people are telling me to relax about this, there is so much abuse against kids these days im not prepared to take a risk with my daughter. also about people touching her face ,well we have been here 4 months now and my daughter has been to clinic twice because she has been sick, i mean we went to a fishing park yesterday with the kids and my wifes extended family,one of young boys went for a dump behind a shed with no water or soap to wash his hands after he cleaned himself he just dipped them in the lake an gave them a shake,ten minutes later he had his hands in the ice bucket taking ice and my wife likes to give my daughter little bits of ice to suck on when shes thirsty so you see what i mean that is just one example,i could give you a thousand others.

All I can say is that I am really disturbed by the OP's original post, and some of the following posts. <deleted> is wrong with people....I am reallyl disgusted. F-it, it's not worth explaining, I hope this thread is closed

no mate <deleted> is wrong with your head ? im from the uk and i would never dream of lifting someones baby and taking it for a walk for half an hour !! <deleted> is wrong with that tell me ? im not calling anyone a peedo im just taking care of my kid and dont want some bloody drunken stranger taking her for a walk when im not there ok !!

you say your "really disturbed" i agree with you there mate

I agree with OP. Last thing he needs is someone with herpes kissing his baby. Do you think villagers understand what herpes is and how it is transmitted? Kids are susceptible to meningitis. Adults can be carriers etc. etc. etc. To those that think the OP is over protective, his duty is to the security and well being of the infant and no one else.

well said mate ,couldnt agree with you more. wish there was more like you !!

Although i agree that i wouldnt want some drunk man or woman holding my baby, you really need to get a life i just cant understand this mentality that everyone os out to "molest" a child ,something creepy about people who have this mentality.

<deleted> is creepy about this mentality ? if everyone thought like this and protected their children then there wouldnt be so many kids being abused in the world. my kid sister was sexually abused and ive seen the damage its done to her life so maybe you should wake up and smell the coffee !!

Sorry, dmax, I'm in agreement with most of the replies here. I think you need to relax over quite a few issues. My daughter is now 4, and I was a bit unnerved the way in-laws and extended family behaved around her at that age. However, I kept an eye on things, tolerated more than I was used to doing, and everything was fine.

With regard to the hygeine, yes, I was a bit worried. That was until my own mother reminded me that I'd been brought up on a farm in East Anglia, England, and she'd stopped me eating worms and other creatures many-a-time! Moving forward, many health issues in UK are down to living in a too clean environment, without germs, to get imunity.

I recall the only real point where I laid the law down, was when the Thais started picking up her food and feeding it direct into her mouth. It's something they do, and due to the hygeine issue, that was a bit much. All I said, though, was "use a spoon, please". No need to be nasty, and they were okay about it.

Drunkeness is a different issue - doesn't matter what race you are from to be alienated when you're drunk.

As she gets older, you'll be concerned about the regularity of snacks and other sweet things that she gets given. Again, with your wife's support, get her into a routine for food (healthy food, too) as soon as possible.

By the way, is your house finished now?

i totally agree with you seaeagle, when the wifes old boy tried to feed my kid i smiled and as best i could told him that she couldnt eat rice at her age and then told my wife to never let her dad touch my kids mouth or try to feed her anything,she totally understands this .

the house will be finished tomorrow and im doing a new thread ( my isaan bungalow with pics and prices part 4 ) so look it up mate.

Why specifically "Thai Men"... like they have some kind of propensity to molest 7 month old babies?

Surely you need to change tone to "I don't like people that I don't know touching my baby"... then you sound normal.

im saying thai men because im living in isaan,we dont have falang men in my villiage so its nothing to do with" race" or thai men ,its any men in general ,ive seen first hand in my own family what happens when you leave children with strangers especially drunken ones. i dont understand why some people are telling me to relax about this, there is so much abuse against kids these days im not prepared to take a risk with my daughter. also about people touching her face ,well we have been here 4 months now and my daughter has been to clinic twice because she has been sick, i mean we went to a fishing park yesterday with the kids and my wifes extended family,one of young boys went for a dump behind a shed with no water or soap to wash his hands after he cleaned himself he just dipped them in the lake an gave them a shake,ten minutes later he had his hands in the ice bucket taking ice and my wife likes to give my daughter little bits of ice to suck on when shes thirsty so you see what i mean that is just one example,i could give you a thousand others.

Feel for you mate, went through the same here in bkk, must be a lot worse where you are,

agree with your OP 100%,

Wonder how many posters that disagree with you actually have kids

Some Thai men want to touch my Daughters face and even worse her lips, I'm ready now and grab their hand,

Do what you got to do mate, she only has her Dad to take care of her

Wow. My experience has been the total opposite of many of the posters... I have found the average Thai male to be infinitely more caring and trustworthy with children than their western counterparts. The average western male is a fumbling, disinterested clod when it comes to children - whereas even my two sixteen year old Thai male staff are loving and nurturing with children of all ages (check that with western sixteen year old boys - HA!)

The hygiene issue has been well covered... No need for western levels of hyper-cleanliness, common sense is all that's required, and you end up with a healthier, stronger human being.

Check out the under five death rates for some common expat countries versus Thailand... hmmmmm - How's it going if you're from the US?

If you go on population density and using your attachment then Thailand is in line with the states. The States has close to five times the population of Thailand give or take the odd 100 thou....

Actually on a per capita basis the table would look like this:

U.S. - 0.011

Thailand - 0.011

Australia - 0.009

U.K. - 0.006

Canada - 0.006

France - 0.005

Germany - 0.004

Italy - 0.003

Sweden - 0.000

Switzerland - 0.000

With a group average of 0.008... Traditional western thought would see the "developing" nation (Thailand) as far more apt to have higher under 5 mortality than "developed" western nations... As I mentioned in my previous post - how's the U.S. taking care of their most vulnerable citizens?

Actually on a per capita basis the table would look like this:

U.S. - 0.011

Thailand - 0.011

Australia - 0.009

U.K. - 0.006

Canada - 0.006

France - 0.005

Germany - 0.004

Italy - 0.003

Sweden - 0.000

Switzerland - 0.000

With a group average of 0.008... Traditional western thought would see the "developing" nation (Thailand) as far more apt to have higher under 5 mortality than "developed" western nations... As I mentioned in my previous post - how's the U.S. taking care of their most vulnerable citizens?

Exactly my point, thanks for doing the math :)

Yes I do have children, bben there, done that.

A drunk of any gender or race is a danger to a child.

I currently live in the UK where our Govt. as part of an initiative to 'protect children' wished to impose a data base of criminal record screening on 11 million adults, to include anyone for instance who drove children to and from sports fixtures for their school. After protests this has been reduced to only 9 million!

In effect in the UK you now have to prove you are innocent rather than maintain the doctrine of presumption of innocence until proven otherwise.

These new regulations are being brought in after a harrowing case of a double child murder by a school caretaker (nobody seems to care that the information on the murderer was available under the old system and if the authorities had done their job properly he would never have been employed).

Against this background you can see how Westerners generally (and from the UK in particular) are conditioned to fear the potential risk of adult crime against children.

The cultural expectations of West and East are significantly at variance in this area and can certainly give rise to sharp differences of opinion.

I believe that the parents (husband and wife together, not dictated by one) should decide how their child is treated.

As to the hygiene question I would advise that the OP eases down a bit. Being protective is normal but you have to accept that exposure to disease is necessary to build up immunity and that babies are much tougher than first time parents believe (we have all been there).

I wish the OP good luck in finding his way through this issue in such a way that satisfies him and his wife.

I must admit that I was probably over protective but I still don't think many Thais think about the repercussions and almost adopt a fatalistic attitude to child care, as they do in many other areas of life. Kids near open flames, left in areas with bottle tops, broken glass, dogs roaming around etc. Sure, the vast majority of times nothing happens but if it ever does, there is a sort of acceptance that they could not of prevented it when they certainly could have had they observed what most people would class as basic safety standards.

I feel they just accept that some if not most of their kids will have dog bites, scars of varying severity due to cuts, scars from infections not cleansed and a whole number of other avoidable things which would, in the west, have social services banging the door down in no time. For me, it is the difference in the basic level of care and most Thais that I know do not take care of their kids to a standard which is acceptable and that includes the OP's comments about handing over kids to anyone and everyone. I guess the proof of the pudding is in the fact that if one of these drunken guys dropped the baby on the fire then they would not look to have any responsibility for their actions.

You can be overprotective as I learned for myself but in certain areas, the Thais do not value care highly enough and I don't see why the OP should stoop to their levels when it is his child.

I love taking my 5 month daughter out, everywhere we go Thai people, male and female, make a fuss, coo, tug her toes, take photos, smile, laugh and compliment us on our cute (but chubby) little bundle of joy - I take it as a great compliment, I love the social interaction in a society

not afraid to 'touch a child' at risk of being screamed at for being a Paedo! One drunk guy that kissed her left my wife a bit narked . . . but that was only one in a thousand happy encounters.

David

... most Thais that I know do not take care of their kids to a standard which is acceptable...

... the Thais do not value care highly enough and I don't see why the OP should stoop to their levels when it is his child.

Acceptable to who? The Western safety nannies who are doing great damage to children by removing all risk from their lives? Bringing up a generation unable to assess danger, used to getting their own way and knowing they won't be punished for any wrong doing. I'd say many of the older members of the forum were brought up in a manner far closer to the Thai way than the current Western one. My early years were spent in rural NZ in the '60's, and I soon learned that fire is hot, barbed wire should be treated with respect (still got the scar from that lesson), dogs and cats will bite and scratch if ill treated, taking my tricycle to the top of the hill and trying to career down it is not a good idea, cow dung doesn't taste good, and neither do Karaka berries (Kiwi's will know what I'm talking about), bee stings hurt, I must face the consequences of my own decisions, and a bunch of other valuable lessons for life. The current generation is probably horrified to hear I was brought up in this way, and no doubt would have sent social services around to drag me off to a home. Are you really surprised to hear that the human race successfully managed to breed in the West prior to the '70's, and does so in Thailand today, without any interference from the bleeding hearted child botherers? How do you think your parents were brought up?

I genuinely feel sorry for the daughter of the OP. he is projecting his prejudices onto her in her formative years, which, if unchecked, will lead to her growing up with a distrust of her maternal relations and a shame for her Thai culture.

If you're referring to my partner's village, no, it's not Isaan, but I don't think that's an issue and I would never make someone's hometown an issue. There are drunks everywhere in the world.

Yes, a man, my mother in law's partner as a matter of fact (FIL died when hubby was 17), did something so inappropriate that my husband punched him in the face. It didn't just end with the village. My husband took it to the tambon police and had that man sign a paper, basically a restraining order, that said he would not spend time in that village or at that house, even though we live 1000km away from there. His mother, unfortunately but understandably in her circumstances, left the village with him and moved back to his village.

I'm not gay. Yes, I'm western and my husband is Thai. Although I don't see what that has to do with anything. I'm nothing but proud of him for dealing with the situation in a way that took care of an ongoing problem, which goes far beyond just the straw that broke the camel's back (hubby being the camel).

How unfortunate that the OP's wife seems to come from a village where ALL the men (apart from the OP, of course) are constantly drunk and unfit to take of even their own children, which is what his post seems to insinuate. How awful to live around people you have no respect for.

Makes me feel lucky to have a partner who comes from a village where I can trust the men to take my kids out to see the cows in the fields or to the shop to buy a snack or to go hunting for bugs.

There was once, and only once, a man who did something inappropriate in front of my kids (nothing sexual at all), but a quick jab between the eyes from hubby along with the scorn of the whole village, and that man basically had no choice but to pack his bags and find somewhere else to live (he was related by marriage, not blood).

It's initials ( the Village i mean ) are not AA are they & it's not in Isaan is it ?? :)

& sorry, could you just enlighten me a little more, you're saying a Man done something inappropriate, not sexual, in front of your Kid & it seperated his Marraige & made him move somewhere else because of the scorn of of the whole entire Village due to this none sexual act, after a quick jab in the eyes from you or his Gay Partner who he was married to ???

Or are you married to a Thai & you're Female, that could be whta it is ???

Only thing I want to know is, what happened to MSingh's english??? You drunk posting here? Or has your computer been hijacked or something?

You know when that brain of mine ( what little there is ) starts & those fingers get tapping, there's no stopping me at times my Duchess..... :D

Happy Xmas by the way SBK..