Best 20 Baht Meal Place/stand

coolxten

1 more vote for the sub-food forum for Chiang mai.

I know you can get lots of different types of food in Chiang Mai for only 20 Baht. I've been eating lunch regularly at the Warorot Market. Near the canal in the market there is a place that serves mostly stir fry over rice for 20 baht. I'm sure there are lots of lunch places like this all over the city. The food there is very good. I would like to try others....can you recommend any good places/stands that sell tasty lunches for only 20 baht?

Edited by coolxten

Come on guys. We would like to see our esteemed form restaurant sponsors and advocates of such beaners that exist in Chiang Mai recommend their favorite 20 baht meal stand. Now we know that you can not and well not compete with the locals but come on every now and then you must want a bowl of noddle or rice soup or maybe fried rat or BBQ dog. :)

Most of us eat cheap Thai food at the nearest stall that does a decent job. I have had some "special" places where the food was better than usual, but they have all moved or closed down over the years.

Thre was a Kow Mok Gy place in the food court of Central that was great, but the chicken flu ended that place. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think this is an important and defining topic as it adds the final layer the mysterious mindset of the Chiang Mai expat.

The doings of a new Gay Hotel engrossed and enthralled many members to eager and ecstatic postings, now we have the pentultimate, where we can eat for 20 baht absorbing those that didn't flock to the former in search the cheapest and most miserable feed on the planet possible. Sorry but in balance those in search of gay manual therapy exhibit more style.

Chiang Mai definitely is a class location. Not sure why I never seem to run into these characters in the flesh, hitting the wrong venues I suppose.

OK - here is one.

My local feedery is great. All the locals acknowledge it as very special. My GF says best bbq pork ever. Clean, fresh, and not greasy or too sweet. I think it is called Pen Sen, but there is no English sign.

Easy to find (if my directions are clear!)...

If you are going north on Neimenheman, you cross Huay Keow, it becomes SuperHighway.

About 100 meters up SuperHighway on the left is a small road that veers left (not a sharp left, just a veer).

30 meters up this road on the right is the open-air (but covered) restaurant. It is actually nestled between the small road and Superhighway (can even park on SuperHighway if you want).

Open about 7am , and close around 2:00pm - when they run out of food. 6-8 dishes every day - always changing.

Cheap (20-40baht) fantastic food - changes every day. Sometimes they have a Northern version of Gang Som - not as spicy or sour as the Southern version. A little tomato-flavoured - almost like a bouillabaisse.

Always a different nam-prik - I like the minced pork and tomato one.

Always one or two different coconut curries.

Great bbq (deep-fried) pork.

When they have the hearts of palm, I always have a double order.

Deep-fried, hard-boiled eggs in sweet sauce with crispy onions (this they have almost every day).

Usually some type of Tom Jood (clear mild soup)

on and on and on...

And of course they do take out.

Kao Soi too, two versions - one with pork blood (I like), and one with chicken (I like it too)

Food and taste is so objective, I can't and wouldn't eat half the tripe that some of my expat friends chow down.

With over 6000 places to eat here in Chiang mai, I'd say it's up to you...

Go out and find your favorite and don't tell anyone about it, so it does not get get runied by someone that doesn't like it cause it's not like back home or no free water.

I think this is an important and defining topic as it adds the final layer the mysterious mindset of the Chiang Mai expat.

The doings of a new Gay Hotel engrossed and enthralled many members to eager and ecstatic postings, now we have the pentultimate, where we can eat for 20 baht absorbing those that didn't flock to the former in search the cheapest and most miserable feed on the planet possible. Sorry but in balance those in search of gay manual therapy exhibit more style.

Chiang Mai definitely is a class location. Not sure why I never seem to run into these characters in the flesh, hitting the wrong venues I suppose.

I'm not too sure what your reply is about....but I didn't find it helpful. How you compare my post with the topic of a gay hotel leaves me confused...

I'm new to the country and I was surprised to see a place that sold tasty food for 20 Baht, and wanted to know if there might be other similar places worth recommending. Maybe you should try the place before you call it miserable feed, or do you have too much class?

OK - here is one.

My local feedery is great. All the locals acknowledge it as very special. My GF says best bbq pork ever. Clean, fresh, and not greasy or too sweet. I think it is called Pen Sen, but there is no English sign.

Easy to find (if my directions are clear!)...

If you are going north on Neimenheman, you cross Huay Keow, it becomes SuperHighway.

About 100 meters up SuperHighway on the left is a small road that veers left (not a sharp left, just a veer).

30 meters up this road on the right is the open-air (but covered) restaurant. It is actually nestled between the small road and Superhighway (can even park on SuperHighway if you want).

Open about 7am , and close around 2:00pm - when they run out of food. 6-8 dishes every day - always changing.

Cheap (20-40baht) fantastic food - changes every day. Sometimes they have a Northern version of Gang Som - not as spicy or sour as the Southern version. A little tomato-flavoured - almost like a bouillabaisse.

Always a different nam-prik - I like the minced pork and tomato one.

Always one or two different coconut curries.

Great bbq (deep-fried) pork.

When they have the hearts of palm, I always have a double order.

Deep-fried, hard-boiled eggs in sweet sauce with crispy onions (this they have almost every day).

Usually some type of Tom Jood (clear mild soup)

on and on and on...

And of course they do take out.

Kao Soi too, two versions - one with pork blood (I like), and one with chicken (I like it too)

I've been there, it's call the Rincome Night Market. I agree - very good food. I particularly like the BBQ on a stick.

To the OP: As a newcomer to Chiang Mai, you are on the right track by finding and enjoying inexpensive and tasty local food. Whether you spend 20 or 30 or 40 baht, there's great value to be had. Like all food at all prices, some is good, some bad. But the important thing is to find what you like and not be afraid to experience the real Thailand. Don't get trapped in the expat bubble. I'll suggest a dish rather than a place: go to your local market and ask for "dtam kanoon," which is pounded jackfruit mixed with chili. The consistency that is halfway between a salad and a chili paste. 10 baht for a small bag plus 5 baht for sticky rice.

To the OP: As a newcomer to Chiang Mai, you are on the right track by finding and enjoying inexpensive and tasty local food. Whether you spend 20 or 30 or 40 baht, there's great value to be had. Like all food at all prices, some is good, some bad. But the important thing is to find what you like and not be afraid to experience the real Thailand. Don't get trapped in the expat bubble. I'll suggest a dish rather than a place: go to your local market and ask for "dtam kanoon," which is pounded jackfruit mixed with chili. The consistency that is halfway between a salad and a chili paste. 10 baht for a small bag plus 5 baht for sticky rice.

Good advice. +10

OK - here is one.

snip

I've been there, it's call the Rincome Night Market. I agree - very good food. I particularly like the BBQ on a stick.

Uh - sorry no. This is open from 7:00 in the morning till early afternoon. They do about 8 different dishes every day. No skewers, but they do have a new grilled dish actually - almost Vietnamese - grilled lemon-grass chicken cutlets - outrageously good. They don't have them every day though

This covered restaurant is 100 meters north of Rincome on Superhighway - small road veers left off of Superhighway. It is 30 meters up that road on the right. You can enter from Superhighway too, but it is hard to see through the bushes.

Don't get trapped in the expat bubble.

My guess is that those of us who eat mostly foreign food are not overly fond of Thai food. I can eat it, but there are very few dishes that I actually enjoy.

I like Vietnamese food. I like Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian and Indian food, but am not crazy about Thai, Indonesian and Cambodian cuisines.

Edited by Ulysses G.

OK - here is one.

snip

It is 30 meters up that road on the right. You can enter from Superhighway too, but it is hard to see through the bushes.

Oops that's right it's up the road. I'll check it out. Many Thanks

I don't understand what the gay hotel has to do with this thread either. But when you say "the cheapest and most miserable feed on the planet possible.", you are totally wrong. All over Thailand you can eat really delicious foods whether it costs 20, 30 Baht or whatever. If you haven't tried them because it is beneath you to eat in this places, well then you are really missing out. They are not all good, but everyone has their favorites.

Dtam kanoon, nam phrik kha & sticky rice ; absolute bliss.

Also kai tod sai pak la (cha om) and nam phrik kapi ; bliss again.

Dtam kanoon, nam phrik kha & sticky rice ; absolute bliss.

Also kai tod sai pak la (cha om) and nam phrik kapi ; bliss again.

I've never been able to do nam phrik kapi. Far too close to looking and smelling like diarrhea for me.

Don't get trapped in the expat bubble.

My guess is that those of us who eat mostly foreign food are not overly fond of Thai food. I can eat it, but there are very few dishes that I actually enjoy.

I like Vietnamese food. I like Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian and Indian food, but am not crazy about Thai, Indonesian and Cambodian cuisines.

By "expat bubble" I didn't mean eating farang or other non-Thai food. I meant insulating one's self from the local people, culture, and lifestyle, or even worse, looking down on all things Thai. I don't think anyone could accuse you of falling into that rut UG :-).

Actually, my experience has been that most of the stalls are charging 25 baht these days.

Me also, but I always give the small Thai cafes 40 baht for what I believe is a great meal at twice the price. I've established some pretty good relationships that way. It's just my way of showing I appreciate what they provide at very little cost.

I don't understand what the gay hotel has to do with this thread either. But when you say "the cheapest and most miserable feed on the planet possible.", you are totally wrong. All over Thailand you can eat really delicious foods whether it costs 20, 30 Baht or whatever. If you haven't tried them because it is beneath you to eat in this places, well then you are really missing out. They are not all good, but everyone has their favorites.

I have found the food served in the Thai places (not aimed at white people) to be generally far better than food in 'white Thai' restaurants that charge much more.

So for a Thai place about 1/2 way between YMCA and Sanitam Plaza that serves almost the best Pat Prik Geng Gai I have even eaten on rice they charge 25bht and an extra 10bht for a fruit shake.

The very best Pat Prik Geng Gai I have ever eaten is at Happy bar in MoonMuang Soi 2 and cooked by Nok. Slightly more expensive at 45bht a plate but beer Chang is 60bht for a large one and it is a bar with a free pool table, so sometimes worth the extra.

For Pat Thai there is a place in the DK bookstore car park (MoonMuang) that charges 25bht including a second plate of Tua Ngok.

Actually, my experience has been that most of the stalls are charging 25 baht these days.

Me also, but I always give the small Thai cafes 40 baht for what I believe is a great meal at twice the price. I've established some pretty good relationships that way. It's just my way of showing I appreciate what they provide at very little cost.

If I understand you correctly, you are tipping something like 56%. That's ridiculous.

A paticular favourite of mine as well , I haven't got much to add to this topic though, my Wife cooks Thai food at home most days so when I eat out I tend to eat at non-Thai eateries.

My only critism of the Thai food stalls is that most [ not all] seem to serve up the same old dishes. I've good a huge book at home by an Australian Chef called David Thompson that lists so many recipes that have been forgotten or neglected it would be nice to see something a bit different on the menu on occasion.

If I understand you correctly, you are tipping something like 56%. That's ridiculous.

Nothing is ridiculous in Thailand. I treat Thais as I would like to be treated myself. I offer what I think is good value for services rendered. They appreciate that I enjoy their service to me. What others do or pay is of no concern to me. It won't affect the prices for others who don't have more to spend. 40 baht for a good meal that includes a bowl of consome soup and a big plate of Kow Pat Gai is hardly too much. I pay 3 times that for the same thing at most western owned restaurants. It is the same with the few bar girls who are my friends. I don't worry about the going rates. It's no different than picking up the tab when I go out for a meal with friends who have done similar favours to me.

Nothing is ridiculous in Thailand. I treat Thais as I would like to be treated myself. I offer what I think is good value for services rendered. They appreciate that I enjoy their service to me. What others do or pay is of no concern to me. It won't affect the prices for others who don't have more to spend. 40 baht for a good meal that includes a bowl of consome soup and a big plate of Kow Pat Gai is hardly too much. I pay 3 times that for the same thing at most western owned restaurants. It is the same with the few bar girls who are my friends. I don't worry about the going rates. It's no different than picking up the tab when I go out for a meal with friends who have done similar favours to me.

Quite right Ian and I am sure your appreciation and not just the money, earns you the regard it deserves.

I have to force the 50% tip I give my barber on him every time and I mean literally press it into his hand and close it. But after the best part of an hour, a great haircut, shave and mini massage I feel it was well worth more than the 90 pence for which he asks. I would feel ashamed of myself if I left the shop having shown no appreciation and paid so little. He calls me Por (Dad) as does his wife and their eight year old lad calls me Pboo (Grandad). God I must be an old buggar.

The last ten minute sb&s I had in Shepherd's Bush Market London, six years ago cost 15 pounds and the fellow bitched for the whole ten minutes about how little he was able to charge.

Those of us who understand how it works can often get a lot more out of our lvies in Thailand by giving just a little more and contrary to popular myth it is not always about money. Sometimes it is just plain good old fashioned nice, descent and kind hearted. Nota lots that about in Shepherd's Bush Market these days, sad to say.

Sorry wandered off topic a bit it is supposed to be about food. See, I am an old buggar !

Tipping is still uncommon in CM.

I'm sure Ian, when he tips is not thinking in terms of percentages, but relative value of the meal. Relative value not even as compared with Canada, but other restaurants in CM. I often tip in places where tips aren't expected by way of 'thanks' and just to round out the bill. In percentage terms, my tips would be lower than Ian's as I rarely eat alone. Mrs. T frowns on tipping at food stalls and considers it crass. Instead, in her amiable way, she occasionally offers fruit, or Kh-nom from our shopping basket for everyone there to share.

Personally, I doubt that the cash-tip-receiver considers the gesture crass at all, especially so when coming from a westerner as they understand tipping is normal in the West.

I've heard the refrain that when some fools "overpay", it spoils things for the rest. While this appears logical, I don't think it's true. The occasional few buyers a day paying more will not induce the business owner to raise prices or reduce service to the bulk of his clients. Businesses, even small businesses, and especially ones selling perishable goods like food and hotel rooms (you can't sell today's hotel room tomorrow) simply do not think that way.

Tipping can be rude to some Thais. Don't think for a second that they know what Western culture does. Many of the local small shops don't know a thing about western culture. A tip can imply that you are giving them extra because you will never use their service again. It is an old belief. I know that things have changed in the past 20 years or so, but for many of the old traditional Thais, it is crass to give a tip.

If you are near the moat or other tourist mainstays then, yes tipping is common and do it if you want because everyone else does.

I will never understand why Westerners tip here. It is not the custom, why bring your customs here. I like the guy that says his wife shares fruit or things like that with the staff. That is a sign of respect, tipping is not.

To the OP, a lot of good deals and quality foods can be found on campus at either CMU or Payap. Their caf. are pretty good and some meals are 15 baht.

My favorite 25 baht chicken on rice is on Changklan across from the hospital. Go early, because it is always crowded. My general rule is only eat where the local people do. I typically don't eat at a place if there are more western customers than Thai.

The Thai food that is catered towards westerners is typically more expensive and usually not as delicious.

I respect the person that eats the nam prik gapee and other Northern thai dishes. You got to respect someone who eats foods as the locals do.

I never understood how someone could live in a country and not like the local food. For me food is so close to the culture that if I didn't like the food, I wouldn't like the culture. I also think for Westerners married to Thais, you would have a lot closer relationship if you ate the same foods. I have met a few foreigners that had problems with in laws, that I am certain if they all sat down and ate the same things a lot of that would be resolved. Food unites us in a way that nothing else can. Of course that is just my belief and people can live anyway that they want. It just works for me.

If I understand him correctly it is a 15 baht tip - anything less than 15b would be no tip at all. Leaving a 10% tip on a 20baht dinner would have been 2b - now that's ridiculous. :)

56% of a 500 baht bill would be excessive, but 56% of a small amount is a very small amount. As you might have guessed I'm not a big fan of percentages. Saying "a 56% tip is excessive" sounds reasonable, but saying "a 15b tip is excessive" doesn't. Good on him, I say. Wealth distribution isn't such a bad thing.

Edited by KevinHunt