Best 20 Baht Meal Place/stand

coolxten

I always leave a tip but within a reasonable percentage. Sometimes when I go out with Thais and they see me leaving a tip, they tell me not to tip. But I still do. But leaving 56% of the bill is foolish.

When the bill comes to as little as 25 Baht any tip is going to seem high, percentage-wise.

When tram fares in HK were thirty cents and there were no conductors, and before the advent of stored value contactless cards, passengers dropped their fares into a collection box as they exited the tram. Many who didn't have three ten cent coins often dropped the more readily available fifty cent coin—a whopping 65% 'tip' to one of the largest conglomerates in Asia. Now *that's* foolish.

I will never understand why Westerners tip here. It is not the custom, why bring your customs here.

I do it because I know that the people serving the food make a pittance and they still try to make my meal pleasant and make me happy.

To be honest, I don't see how any caring person could not tip and feel good about it. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Most western style res. as well as buffets here usually have a gratuity in the bill, so no I wouldn't tip on top of that.

I just don't believe in tipping. I don't look at it as helping someone, I look at it as making someone a beggar. Locals don't tip so why should the expat community. I think that it is a terrible tradition. Many people make a low wage, but I didn't create the economy, I just live in it and pay accordingly.

I accept that tourists coming here tip, because they don't know better. But I think that for the expat community it is strange that they bring their customs and force it on the locals. Next time you are with a Thai person that is not in the service industry ask them about their views on tipping. I am certain that they will tell you that it is not a sign of respect to tip.

Why should a server get a tip, while the cook who works just as hard, making the same low salary not get tipped?

If there is a gratuity included on the bill, I would not tip on top of it, but, other than the chain sushi places, no restaurant I go to in Chiang Mai does this. It is very uncommon in Chiang Mai.

By the way, most places share the tips with all the staff, not only the serving people.

If Ulysses wants 300 baht for a book I don't question the price, nor do I dicker. If I think the book is worth the price I pay for it, but I don't leave a tip... even though he has staff to pay. If I purchase something in a store or market I don't add a tip... even though the staff might need it. But, I DO offer a tip if I eat at a restaurant or cafe where I know the staff or owner. It's my way of saying thanks. If I'm at one of those big self serve restaurants I only pay the asking price and I seldom leave a tip unless some staff offer extra service.

I don't drink very much in the bars, but if I spend any length of time in one playing pool or chatting to the staff I'll buy one of the ladies a drink or two just to show my appreciation. I also leave a small tip for the gal behind the counter who looks after the tab. The only time I don't is during one of the few times I know the gal at the till is skimming and padding the bill. That happens so rarely that it doesn't bother me too much.

Most western style res. as well as buffets here usually have a gratuity in the bill, so no I wouldn't tip on top of that.

I just don't believe in tipping. I don't look at it as helping someone, I look at it as making someone a beggar. Locals don't tip so why should the expat community. I think that it is a terrible tradition. Many people make a low wage, but I didn't create the economy, I just live in it and pay accordingly.

I accept that tourists coming here tip, because they don't know better. But I think that for the expat community it is strange that they bring their customs and force it on the locals. Next time you are with a Thai person that is not in the service industry ask them about their views on tipping. I am certain that they will tell you that it is not a sign of respect to tip.

Why should a server get a tip, while the cook who works just as hard, making the same low salary not get tipped?

I am afraid that I am entirely unable to comprehend your logic. To be a beggar you have to ask (beg) for something but in the giving of a tip nothing has been asked for, it is offered by the customer and those who do not believe in it, are absolutely free not to do so. We all contribute to creating the economy, which is exactly what you do when you, "...just live in it and pay accordingly".

I am not sure that anybody has said it is a sign or respect but rather appreciation to tip and it is certainly not true that Thais don't tip, they do although probably not at a Baht 20 food stall.

I have a very large extended Thai family and in ordinary restaurants they would tip about 5% and if that is placed on the tray it is the understood practice that it be shared amongst all the staff, not just the waiters. If the money is placed in someone's hand however, then it is a tip to them personally.

The last time I was at my barbers I had to wait whilst he finished with a Thai chap, a lot older than me and I'm an old bugger. When it was finished the Thai chap, give him an extra 50% and said it had been hard work because his hair was very long. I cannot see how that could be interpreted as a western custom forced on anybody. It was just a little thoughtful kind heartedness - plain old fashioned nice and what could possibly be wrong with that ?

Although unverified, the origin of TIPS is often attributed to Dr. Johnson who supposedly coined the acronym - To Insure Prompt Service.

Well it is clearly a very personal issue so probably the best we can do with it is: Let those who wish to, do so and those who do not wish to, not do so. But let neither call the other foolish on the one hand or stingy on the other because they cannot agree.

The wisdom of Holy Writ comes to mind:

"Let every man give according as he is disposed of his own heart, not grudgingly or of necessity for the Lord loves a cheerful giver".

And not just The Lord I fancy.

Which Western restaurants have a gratuity included in the bill? I've heard of one or two but 'most'? I don't think so. Besides, even if a 'gratuity' wasn't included, you wouldn't tip anyway because, as you go on to say, 'I just don't believe in tipping'.

As regards to this respect thing - what has respect got to do with it? No-one leaves a tip, anywhere in the world, as a sign of respect. If I leave a tip it is a sign of gratitude and sympathy. As you quite rightly said, 'many people make a low wage'. I , and a few others recognise that and try to help in a small way by leaving small tips, but your attitude is 'I didn't create the economy', which is as good as saying ' I don't care'. It looks more like you are making excuses for being mean and un-caring.

And us expats that are showing some sympathy and understanding, we're not that nice after all, it seems. We're here forcing our customs on the locals!! That's a great choice of words. I've no idea what it means, though. :D

Locals don't tip? I'll give you my experience of tipping. I wouldn't normally tip in a noodle shop,other than leaving the small change maybe, but if I go to a restaurant (Thai or Western) I would always tip. If me and my wife go to a Thai restaurant I leave the decision about tipping to my wife, and she always tips - but how much may vary. I would also expect her to tell me to give 20baht to the guy in the car park who 'helped' me to park. My wife is working class Chiang Mai girl, and as long as I've known her she has always tipped. She does it because she has lots of sympathy for working class Thias, who invariably earn a pittance, and because she can. I've never had the impression that anyone was offended. 

As someone has already pointed out, tips are always shared. The exception is if you put the tip directly into the waitresses hand. The system is - if the tip is placed on the tray then it is shared, if it goes into the hand it is a personal tip. If my wife thinks a waitress was particularly nice, or she feels sorry for them, she will put some money in her hand and leave a small amount on the tray for the rest of the staff. Since this is the custom in Thai restaurants that rarely see a Farang, then your arguments about Thais never tipping don't really ring true. Anyway, my excuse is mostly the same as my wife's - sohng saan ( I feel sorry for him/her). I actually tip here more because of my Thai wife's influence than western influences. :)   My wife does lots of small things that all about helping people less fortunate than her. It can be very humbling at times. You may think that she hasn't taught me well, but your arguments haven't convinced me.

Edited by KevinHunt

Do you not tip at all in pricey Western restaurants?

I usually do. Rarely over 10-20 baht though, whatever the bill is. I don't believe in percentages either. And besides, the act of delivering food to my table remains the same, no matter if it's a 50 baht dish or a 500 baht dish. :)

Tipping at small restaurants and food stalls is just awkward. If I liked the place then I come back, and they appreciate that a lot!

I will never understand why Westerners tip here. It is not the custom, why bring your customs here. I like the guy that says his wife shares fruit or things like that with the staff. That is a sign of respect, tipping is not.

I was in a restaurant aimed at white people with a friend, we eat there on a regular basis, he foolishly considers the staff 'friends'. One day as he left he gave the waitress a particularly large tip, she promptly turned around to the other waitress and said that the 'stupid old white man had given her too much again' I didn't understand the rest as her thai speeded up from there on, but it was clearly insulting. I have never given anyone a tip in Thailand since that day. The tip wasn't appreciated, they just thought he was a stupid old man.

Don't get trapped in the expat bubble.

My guess is that those of us who eat mostly foreign food are not overly fond of Thai food. I can eat it, but there are very few dishes that I actually enjoy.

I like Vietnamese food. I like Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian and Indian food, but am not crazy about Thai, Indonesian and Cambodian cuisines.

I dont think much of the Japanese food in Thailand, Chinese food is utter crap, here and just about everywhere Ive ever been (Ive never been to China but assume it doesnt taste crap their). Ive had just a few good feeds of Indian in Thailand, always been a chef from India when so.

I can't believe you don't like 'real' thai food.

I'm guessing UG, that your one of these people that eats Maccas and at Fuji or even worse whats that crap place called MK? :)

Japanese food in Thailand tastes pretty much the same as in Japan but anyone who does not likes Chinese food in Hongkong, Singapore and San Francisco has defective tastebuds and should not bother lecturing anyone else on what tastes good. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I agree with you on everything, but I have upped my tips lately when my bill is high.

I don't tip in noodle stalls either. That is where I eat when my income is down and I do not want to push prices up for myself or others.

I guess I should qualify 'pricey'.. I typically don't eat at *really* pricey places when on my own money (as opposed to company money). The really pricey ones also tend to have a service charge, so that takes care of any tip.

When it comes to bars, I tend not to tip too often or too much in places where I'm a regular. For a new place however I usually do leave 10 baht or so. I'm generous with food & liquor though. Anyone can come up to me at any time and request a som tam, meatball or sato budget. Or liquor even, on occasion, at places where they can get away with that.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

perhaps the mods should make a separate thread with the tipping content. I feel a little guilty contributing to a thread that steered off topic.

It's natural that conversations flow in different directions. Hold back on the guilt, and don't encourage the mods. They don't need it. :)

Japanese food in Thailand tastes pretty much the same as in Japan but anyone who does not likes Chinese food in Hongkong, Singapore and San Francisco has defective tastebuds and should not bother lecturing anyone else on what tastes good. :)

Best Chinese food I ever had was in San Francisco

Worst Chinese food I ever had was in ........... Chiang Mai

Back on topic of the little stands that offer a good meal at a "ridiculous" low price of 20 to 25 baht. It is hard to descibe where they are all located. Most are on little sois hidden off the main roads. Because I like to walk (something foreign to many Thais and expats) I wander around the city and take a different route back home each day. The little stands are everywhere and it only takes a minimum of searching to find them. The staff are usually friendly and welcome strangers with a smile. Some offer a bowl of consome soup with a plate of fried rice but many don't. I tend to frequent the ones that do because I find fried rice a little dry and bland on its own. I normally offer a 5 baht tip but not always. It's only at the places that know me and add an extra helping where I'll give 40 baht for a 25 baht meal. One place along Whing Ping road adds an extra egg in my Kai te ow (Thai omelette) and that with a full plate of rice makes a filling meal that holds me most of the day.

Go down to the Vegetarian Society on Mahidol and help yourself (self service) to a plate of brown rice and 2 organic vegetable sides on that same plate and pay a whopping 10 baht. You do have to wash your own dishes.

Of course, no tip is necessary although giving a (very) small donation to the Buddhist organization will be gratefully accepted.

Do you not tip at all in pricey Western restaurants?

It is not customary to tip in Australia - unless you are a tourist staying at an international hotel. I never tip at local cafes or anywhereelse - it implies that you are not equal and as such is actually un-Australian.

Go down to the Vegetarian Society on Mahidol and help yourself (self service) to a plate of brown rice and 2 organic vegetable sides on that same plate and pay a whopping 10 baht. You do have to wash your own dishes.

Of course, no tip is necessary although giving a (very) small donation to the Buddhist organization will be gratefully accepted.

I've heard of this place. Where exactly on Mahidol if say you are coming from Airport Plaza? Before the U turn at the river?

I've heard of this place. Where exactly on Mahidol if say you are coming from Airport Plaza? Before the U turn at the river?

If you start from the south west corner just outside of the moat. You go down Mahidol road towards Airport Central Plaza. You can get to the right side of Mahidol with the uturn by Hai Ya road just before a pedestrian overpass and go about 50 to 100 meters. It is just before the Lemon Green gas/petro station. It is in a large Lanna style open house with a large open gate with a "Vegetarian Society" sign. You park inside their lot or in the Lemon Green area.

Here is a link of an online map of CM if you need it.

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/chiang_mai...ap_2000pix.html

If I understand you correctly, you are tipping something like 56%. That's ridiculous.

Nothing is ridiculous in Thailand. I treat Thais as I would like to be treated myself. I offer what I think is good value for services rendered. They appreciate that I enjoy their service to me. What others do or pay is of no concern to me. It won't affect the prices for others who don't have more to spend. 40 baht for a good meal that includes a bowl of consome soup and a big plate of Kow Pat Gai is hardly too much. I pay 3 times that for the same thing at most western owned restaurants. It is the same with the few bar girls who are my friends. I don't worry about the going rates. It's no different than picking up the tab when I go out for a meal with friends who have done similar favours to me.

Quite right Ian and I am sure your appreciation and not just the money, earns you the regard it deserves.

I have to force the 50% tip I give my barber on him every time and I mean literally press it into his hand and close it. But after the best part of an hour, a great haircut, shave and mini massage I feel it was well worth more than the 90 pence for which he asks. I would feel ashamed of myself if I left the shop having shown no appreciation and paid so little. He calls me Por (Dad) as does his wife and their eight year old lad calls me Pboo (Grandad). God I must be an old buggar.

The last ten minute sb&s I had in Shepherd's Bush Market London, six years ago cost 15 pounds and the fellow bitched for the whole ten minutes about how little he was able to charge.

Those of us who understand how it works can often get a lot more out of our lvies in Thailand by giving just a little more and contrary to popular myth it is not always about money. Sometimes it is just plain good old fashioned nice, descent and kind hearted. Nota lots that about in Shepherd's Bush Market these days, sad to say.

Sorry wandered off topic a bit it is supposed to be about food. See, I am an old buggar !

So very true and what a good person you are,not the bitching person who is Chiang Mai but considerate.

Back on topic of the little stands that offer a good meal at a "ridiculous" low price of 20 to 25 baht. It is hard to descibe where they are all located. Most are on little sois hidden off the main roads. Because I like to walk (something foreign to many Thais and expats) I wander around the city and take a different route back home each day. The little stands are everywhere and it only takes a minimum of searching to find them. The staff are usually friendly and welcome strangers with a smile. Some offer a bowl of consome soup with a plate of fried rice but many don't. I tend to frequent the ones that do because I find fried rice a little dry and bland on its own. I normally offer a 5 baht tip but not always. It's only at the places that know me and add an extra helping where I'll give 40 baht for a 25 baht meal. One place along Whing Ping road adds an extra egg in my Kai te ow (Thai omelette) and that with a full plate of rice makes a filling meal that holds me most of the day.

So very true about walking. The people who run these stalls are so interested in having someone different stop and eat. Some times you are not sure what is being prepared but just stopping and eating and leaving with a smile is so rewarding.

• 2 weeks later...