Gps Navigation In Toyota Fortuner.

dartvidar

Hi, do anyone have the Toyota Fortuner with the Navigation package?

Is it possible to get the navigation and comand for Stereo in English? Can it easely be changes from English to Thai and opposit. Hows the navigation work in Thailand, are the MAPS who comes with the car updated, do you find most roads on the map, do it works to your satisfaction? I just wounder if it's worth to spend the extra bucks to get the Navigation model.

When you turn on the ignition you can select either Thai or English. The maps come on a DVD that is inserted into a slot behind the monitor, you can get the updated maps from Toyota every year.

Maps are very accurate, or have been in my case. There are a few small short-cut roads I use that aren't on the system though, but all normal roads and soi's are.

Is it worth the extra money? Debateable. A normal garmin with thai maps are just as accurate. The Toyota navi disables many features while the car is in motion, e.g. cannot change destination etc.

Hope this helps.

I have the Fortuner TRD Sportivo with a DVD player, but not GPS, fitted as standard.

When I asked about buying the add-on to allow my i-Pod to connect for music, the local dealer wanted to sell me a full package including navigation for just shy of 100,000 baht. No way Hose! I'll stick to maps I think.

• 3 weeks later...
When you turn on the ignition you can select either Thai or English. The maps come on a DVD that is inserted into a slot behind the monitor, you can get the updated maps from Toyota every year.

Maps are very accurate, or have been in my case. There are a few small short-cut roads I use that aren't on the system though, but all normal roads and soi's are.

Is it worth the extra money? Debateable. A normal garmin with thai maps are just as accurate. The Toyota navi disables many features while the car is in motion, e.g. cannot change destination etc.

Hope this helps.

I have a 2009 Fortuner...ditto to above assessment. I live in Bangkok and the GPS system in my SUV has been invaluable to me...makes me look like I actually know where I'm going...and has kept me from getting lost on the thousands of soi's in Bangkok about a thousand times. :)

• 5 weeks later...

I am interested to know more about the map source used in the Fortuner GPS navigator.

Can some body using that tell me who make the map? Is it from ESRI/Garmin? Also any one knows how/where to download a copy of that map?

Thank you for any reply.

Do your reseach carefully.

I have a 2007 Camry 2.4 DVD Navigator, Toyota wants 25,000 baht to update the map. The current map does not have the new airport.

I recommend getting a portable-type Garmin unit, or if you prefer a factory look, go with Kenwood or other brands (I'm sure there are users here able to help more on this).

I have a Garmin 1460 and a Nuvi 310, updated the map for each is 900 baht at ESRI.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 2006 Fortuner and fittet with a "Kenwood" DVD Player with GPS.

The whole System, with Subwoofer in the back and completely replaced the existing Speakersystem has cost me a bit more than 45,000. include a Iphone/Ipod connection, Bluetooth Phone, Equalizer, and a special connector that i can use the Steering Wheel control to work with my Iphone. Additionally with backward Camera System Updates of the map are free for a next year.

• 5 months later...

I have a Fortuner 2010 navi and have just been driving it for three weeks before going back to Norway.

I experienced the same problem with the nav. system as I did before with my Garmin 760.

When I tried to put in a distant city it came up with other suggestions after three letters had been put in. None of them the city I wanted (ex. Udon Thani).

This makes the system more or less useless to me. When I want to go somewhere I want to put in my main destination which seems to be impossible.

Have anybody found a solution to this??

• 2 months later...

I have a Fortuner 2010 navi and have just been driving it for three weeks before going back to Norway.

I experienced the same problem with the nav. system as I did before with my Garmin 760.

When I tried to put in a distant city it came up with other suggestions after three letters had been put in. None of them the city I wanted (ex. Udon Thani).

This makes the system more or less useless to me. When I want to go somewhere I want to put in my main destination which seems to be impossible.

Nobody had the same experience?

• 1 year later...

Has anybody found a source for updating their Fortuner gps map disk software, other than paying a Toyota main dealer 20,000 baht ?

You should be able to down load unlocked map and install on a DVD can do on SD card.

• 4 months later...

I have just bought a Camry Hybrid Navi, does anyone know what system it uses i.e.Garmin?

I have a Garmin Nuvi that I use in another car and use the Thailand maps from Rotweiler.com - they have excellent mapsets for most of Asia and lifetime membership [free updates] is very reasonably priced - highly recommended!

Nobody had the same experience?

It is a spelling issue.

I have just bought a Camry Hybrid Navi, does anyone know what system it uses i.e.Garmin?

I have a Garmin Nuvi that I use in another car and use the Thailand maps from Rotweiler.com - they have excellent mapsets for most of Asia and lifetime membership [free updates] is very reasonably priced - highly recommended!

Why in this day and age would you buy maps when they can be downloaded for free and unlocked so can use on any GPS unit.

Why in this day and age would you buy maps when they can be downloaded for free and unlocked so can use on any GPS unit.

John 1, I got my Rotweiler maps around ten years ago when I dont think there were any Thailand ones free to download - only Malsing maps of S'pore and Malaysia as I recall. Anyway, ref your post above, perhaps you can point me in the right direction to download free maps for my 2012 Camry

That is not accurate information. I have a Mio 520c with ESRI/Speednavi mapping and they cannot be downloaded for free. Its 900b a time for upgrades.

That is not accurate information. I have a Mio 520c with ESRI/Speednavi mapping and they cannot be downloaded for free. Its 900b a time for upgrades.

Please use the web and search unlocked map V11.1 for Thailand it's from noeman.org I have the V11 download unlocked done by a friend. It work's in my Fortuner so it should and will work in all and a Camry.

Please use the web and search unlocked map V11.1 for Thailand it's from noeman.org I have the V11 download unlocked done by a friend. It work's in my Fortuner so it should and will work in all and a Camry.

To add your unit has to accept a SD card.

To add your unit has to accept a SD card.

My unit can accept an sd card but what you suggest cannot be done. There are security measures to stop this, I have tried already.

• 2 months later...

I just bought Hilux with navigation option. Some roads are not in the navigation where I live. Does anybody know what brand the navigation is? Is this Garmin? Can I download unlocked map V11.1 and use it?

Just down load the unlocked V11.1 onto a SD and test it should work.