Looking For An Electrician

moetownblues

We have been trying to find an electrician for nearly 9 months. Have contacted a few who say they will come around when they are free but now it has been 9 months. We have fans, and approximately 27 lights in the garden that we want installed and connected but the job is not big enough for most thai electricians. If anyone knows of one that can do the work it would be appreciated...

We live out in the San sai area close to the small Tesco supermarket but it is out of the way for thai electricians.

Why not spend a few days minutes reading up about DIY wiring online? In my experience you'll be as good, if not better than, the average local electrician. I had to show the guys who visited us how to fault find and when they'd been through everything they still managed to leave us with a circuit that trips every time it rains. Garden lights - they'll just run some regular cable in blue pvc pipe and bury it 6 inches under the soil...

in all seriousness thou Greenside has a point, i would like to see how many so called tradesmen are qualified and know what they are doing

even when the job looks ok, the thai electrical authority dont enforce an earth wire or grounding :)

ever touched the fridge or microwave and been surprised with a zap? grrrrrrrr

I agree if you take it slowly and use your head to think then you will make a better job then the so called electricians they have here.

I had to rewire the hole house my self, and getting ground wire in the system also so you can touch all equipment without getting a blast in your fingers.

Do the job your self and save the anger for something else :)

Thanks for tips but when it comes to playing with electricity I am not that confident in myself that I won't explode the house. I would love to make comment on some thai sparkies but I think that is against Thai Visa rules to say negative things against thais but I do have my opinions that some of you would agree with.

I know in Australia all electricians prior to commencing a job must produce thire trade certificate and licence and after completing a job they must certify that they are duly licenced and provide a certificate or your home insurance will be made nil and void. I just assumed that the same practice would apply to tradesmen in Thailand.

I know in Australia all electricians prior to commencing a job must produce thire trade certificate and licence and after completing a job they must certify that they are duly licenced and provide a certificate or your home insurance will be made nil and void. I just assumed that the same practice would apply to tradesmen in Thailand.

:):D:D

:):D

Seriously now....most electricians here charge about 300 Baht to come and work for about 1/2 a day. Like the others pointed out, they are extremely incompetent. I had two different guys come here to do some work when I first moved in and I ended up redoing everything myself. I actually heard one guy joke with his helper that I wanted the office and water heater in the upstairs bathroom grounded! He didn't think I understood him.

dont assume anything when it comes to work practices/standards here it could kill you

So I guess what you people are saying is that if I stumble around and connect a few wires myself the standard of the job would be the same as a qualified thai sparky. Do they actually do an apprentiship and trade school in thailand?

I know the electrician that I used on my house remodeling was a graduate of a vocational school in Chiang Mai and the electrician I used outside Surin was also a graduate of a vocational school in the area both were excellent electricians. There may not be many by our standards but they are out there. :)

So I guess what you people are saying is that if I stumble around and connect a few wires myself the standard of the job would be the same as a qualified thai sparky. Do they actually do an apprentiship and trade school in thailand?

hhmm, depends if you are a handyman type of person

over the years back in nz, ive learnt to do some carpentary, plumbing, electrical,roofing,painting and plastering and bits and bobs in the garden, so i would be keen to try most things

its come in handy in thailand as ive fixed a multitude of things around our house

i am a fully qualified electrician based in uk with 8 years experience and would be interseted in coming over to do the work for you, let me know what you think

And what would that cost me?

moetownblues, probably a lot considering air fare from the U.K.!

But seriously, if you insist on an electrician instead of DIY, I have a very good friend (farang) who lives in Bangkok who is a licensed electrical contractor (more than 25 years in California) who you could work something out with. He loves coming to Chiang Mai. He has a business in Thailand.

In 1994 he completely rewired my home in Los Angeles, including the swimming pool, installed recessed lighting, installed new main and sub-panels, outdoor lighting, etc. When the city inspector came to sign off the permit he commented that the work was some of the best he had seen.

He will properly ground your home, make it safe for children, etc.

If interested, PM me for his contact info, website, etc.

• 2 months later...
Still can't find one if the job is under 20,00 baht it appears they are not interested.

12 months? and still waiting for a sparkie?

shocking! sorry for the pun, couldnt resist, just my attempt at some light hearted humor :)

we have a very adequate one who has installed electrical wires outside for our water fountains and lights..... he charges about 300 baht for 1/2 day or so, PLUS parts.... works quickly and works UP TO THAI standards... if you want something different, you are gonna pay for it and Still have to closely watch and make sure groundings are correct, etc....

PM if still interested... we are in San Kamphaeg and he would probably travel over there... maybe minor extra gas charge... this is thailand, after all!