Where Did You Have The Christmas Lunch. The Buffet Lunch At Shangri La Was Packed!

Maccheroncini

I am surprised too but also intrigued. It seems to be getting promoted by people who have either not been there or have a motive for promoting it. Is any one organisation behind this?

What do you base that statement on?

The fact that most posters, who seem to have eaten there, have very different views from the way it is proposed as the best buffet in town by certain people in certain quarters.

Even if they get free or subsidised meals or other benefits, that is not a reason for anyone to promote in a misrepresentative way.

From talking to many expats most are aware of what is being talked about.

Sorry, but I haven't seen anyone saying it is the "best buffet in town". Did I miss something?

The OP said their Xmas buffet was good. When I tried (but couldn't) get a seat, it did look pretty good. Far more elaborate and expensive than their everyday buffet.

Hotel buffets are subjected to the trickle down theory on profit making and promotion. The big bosses and corporate executives following the bottom line dictate to the chefs and restaurant managers where they need to be in terms of product cost. This usually leads to a beginning period where the chefs are unconstrained and thus the buffets are good. After an initial honeymoon the number crunchers put down the hammer. As word transfers from top to bottom, emotion and personal relationships are given up to profit and/or saving money.

In their defense the hotel chefs usually have no recourse but to reduce quality and quantity and to charge more. This is a pattern that is followed by most of the larger hotels. The executives also have no patients and rather than giving their buffets a chance to succeed they want fast actions.

When the Shagri-La and the Meridian opened they showed promise but soon imploded. The Holiday Inn, meanwhile, not wanting to lose the buffet business that they had nurtured for a long time worked hard to up the quality and they started new promotions. Showing a propensity for rational and compassionate business sense.

At best it is good to hope for decent food at the hotel buffets that are offered at a discount card rate.

Hotel buffets are subjected to the trickle down theory on profit making and promotion. The big bosses and corporate executives following the bottom line dictate to the chefs and restaurant managers where they need to be in terms of product cost. This usually leads to a beginning period where the chefs are unconstrained and thus the buffets are good. After an initial honeymoon the number crunchers put down the hammer. As word transfers from top to bottom, emotion and personal relationships are given up to profit and/or saving money.

In their defense the hotel chefs usually have no recourse but to reduce quality and quantity and to charge more. This is a pattern that is followed by most of the larger hotels. The executives also have no patients and rather than giving their buffets a chance to succeed they want fast actions.

When the Shagri-La and the Meridian opened they showed promise but soon imploded. The Holiday Inn, meanwhile, not wanting to lose the buffet business that they had nurtured for a long time worked hard to up the quality and they started new promotions. Showing a propensity for rational and compassionate business sense.

At best it is good to hope for decent food at the hotel buffets that are offered at a discount card rate.

A very fair comment and absolutely right on the point about budgeted margins from on high. One can not blame the chefs. Shangri la is the bi-monthly meeting place of chiangmai expats and the "buffet" there now is very different from the first few meetings after the move from chiamgmai orchid. It is not a buffet now, it is tea/ coffee plus a cake or two and the price went up by 25%.

So the shangri la buffets are, as almost all posters have said, simply not good value. Partly for the valid reasons that you mentioned. But other establishments can and do give good value.

I am surprised too but also intrigued. It seems to be getting promoted by people who have either not been there or have a motive for promoting it. Is any one organisation behind this?

What do you base that statement on?

The fact that most posters, who seem to have eaten there, have very different views from the way it is proposed as the best buffet in town by certain people in certain quarters.

Even if they get free or subsidised meals or other benefits, that is not a reason for anyone to promote in a misrepresentative way.

From talking to many expats most are aware of what is being talked about.

Sorry, but I haven't seen anyone saying it is the "best buffet in town". Did I miss something?

The OP said their Xmas buffet was good. When I tried (but couldn't) get a seat, it did look pretty good. Far more elaborate and expensive than their everyday buffet.

"best buffet in town" Yes, you did miss it. I've heard it several times.

Glad to know it "looked" more elaborate

I don't think you heard it in this thread.

I did partake in the Shangri-La Thankgiving buffet. Some very delicious turkey was served. The price was quite reasonable compared to the other Thanksgiving dinners on offer - I checked. There was very few people there for that event. This is why I wanted to try their Xmas buffet. Sadly, It was packed with happy looking customers and no room for me. Next year I will make reservations.

So, I would have to say that the Shangri-La is indeed "a good value" during special occasions.

No vested interest here. Just my unbiased observations.

Please tell us more. Price? Did they have imported roast beef or prime rib? Was it tender? Imported raw oysters? Crab or lobster? Did they have ham and turkey? Were the salads typical or inspired?

Did they have armed guards at the desert station, or could you take what you wanted? :D

Can't speak for today but the Shangri La buffet on normal days can only be described as a mini buffet

No great choice and low value foods on display;which is why I suppose they only need guards on the dessert counter

Has the op any connection with any organisation promoting the shangri la

I went to Shangri La for the lunch buffet in mid November and was surprised to see that they had reverted back to the old system of having the full salad bar, sushi, full dessert bar, hot foods in the back, etc. 199 Baht each plus 10% service and 7% VAT; 10% discount with my membership card.

I went again this Tuesday since last time was a good experience. When we walked in, low and behold no salad bar, no sushi, no hot foods and limited dessert choices. Only 2-3 salads, pizza (terrible), pasta and limited desserts. My g/f asked the waitress what was going on - why the change (again). She said she didn't think they had the full buffet for a long time. We assured her we had been there last month and the full buffet was available. Next thing we know there are 3 ladies and the male manager at our table. My g/f repeated the scenario. They gave us that look like we were in the Twilight Zone. "No, no have" said the manager to me. "Maybe you went Bangkok". I assured him we were not in BKK last month. Then... "Oh we had full buffet for Father's Day 5 December." We again told him no we were there in November.... Typical inconsistency in Thailand. Then when we got the bill it was only 358 Baht compared to 470 Baht last time. We got up to leave and decided we would not return. As I got to the stairs I realized that the lovely girl who was our waitress had made a mistake. I know that in Thailand if an employee makes a mistake that the loss comes out of her pay and that would not be fair. I brought the mistake to her attention and she was so relieved that I was honest. This time 421.60 Baht.

We went to Bake and Bite this evening. It was just as good as it has been the two years before. The new location is the nicest of all of them. We ate a lot, made some new friends, and had a nice time!

I experienced the same at the Shangri-La last November - a one-time-only-better-than-the-usually-poor selection. Explanation - they expected a special-large group to be dining there that particular day and therefore put on their 'A' game. Many months ago the Shangri-law was quite good. These days the norm for the Shangri-La is extremely poor. What I understand is that they have suffered financially and are up for sale.

As far as normal (Monday - Saturday) lunch buffet, the Amari Rincon can not be beat.

Now - on topic - the Xmas buffet at the Dukes was one of the best I ever experienced. Price was high (1100 baht as previously posted) but you definitely received what you paid for. Superb!

At least someone knew what was going on when you inquired the day you were there. They looked at us like we were making it all up about the full buffet in November! Then suddenly they remembered the Kings Birthday on 05/12. I guess if I would have pushed harder they would have recalled a few more days in November too... :) Doesn't matter, we're not going back. We'll try the Amari next time. Thanks...

I don't think you heard it in this thread.

I did partake in the Shangri-La Thankgiving buffet. Some very delicious turkey was served. The price was quite reasonable compared to the other Thanksgiving dinners on offer - I checked. There was very few people there for that event. This is why I wanted to try their Xmas buffet. Sadly, It was packed with happy looking customers and no room for me. Next year I will make reservations.

So, I would have to say that the Shangri-La is indeed "a good value" during special occasions.

No vested interest here. Just my unbiased observations.

No problem. If you like the Shangri La fine. Most people, from reading this thread, do not and have given their reasons. I have no problem with that either.

From my posts you can see that my view is that everyone has his own tastes and preferences. Fine, no problem. What happens here on TV - not only on food threads - is that posters will not accept people have different views from their own.

I sincerely hope you enjoy the meal there next here. As I said. Some like the Shangri la . Some do not.

Both on and outside Thaivisa it is promoted by some individuals. If someone wants to mention where it is promoted outside TV that is ok. I am not doing so. Most know anyway.

I experienced the same at the Shangri-La last November - a one-time-only-better-than-the-usually-poor selection. Explanation - they expected a special-large group to be dining there that particular day and therefore put on their 'A' game. Many months ago the Shangri-law was quite good. These days the norm for the Shangri-La is extremely poor. What I understand is that they have suffered financially and are up for sale.

As far as normal (Monday - Saturday) lunch buffet, the Amari Rincon can not be beat.

Now - on topic - the Xmas buffet at the Dukes was one of the best I ever experienced. Price was high (1100 baht as previously posted) but you definitely received what you paid for. Superb!

At least someone knew what was going on when you inquired the day you were there. They looked at us like we were making it all up about the full buffet in November! Then suddenly they remembered the Kings Birthday on 05/12. I guess if I would have pushed harder they would have recalled a few more days in November too... :) Doesn't matter, we're not going back. We'll try the Amari next time. Thanks...

Don't think you'll be disappointed at the Amari. Their every day lunch buffet is consistently good. Normally one need not make reservations unless there are group(s) dining. One time in the 2 years I've been going I had to wait (without reservations) for about 20 minutes. However, 90 % of the time you can walk in and be seated. Everything there tastes homemade. Not the standard frozen-reheated foods that are typical. Price - 375 baht - well worth it.

The Amari is good food for a fair price.

Some of these places have a few very expensive items - like fresh oysters, salmon and shrimp - and certain individuals will concentrate on the high ticket items and ignore the rest, so they can make sure they got their money's worth.

The Amari Rincolm has a bunch of different dishes - all good - but very few luxury items and no one is rushing around trying to grab certain things and the atmosphere is much more pleasant.

it is a great place to eat a pleasant lunch.

We had our Christmas dinner at Tuskers again this year and it was delicious.The portions we very generous and even had a 2nd helping of turkey.The meat was cooked to perfection and atmosphere great.Well done to Chas and his staff.

echo this, we went to tuskers and the food was excellent, portions more than generous and the service typically impeccable. then had a fun evening of drinking, playing silly games and good conversation.

I can beat the lot of you... picnic with friends by a quiet lake amid nature in Horizon Village. Selection of Thai dishes cooked to perfection along with an esky of beer and a distinct lack of the farang element :)

No problem. If you like the Shangri La fine. Most people, from reading this thread, do not and have given their reasons. I have no problem with that either.

From my posts you can see that my view is that everyone has his own tastes and preferences. Fine, no problem. What happens here on TV - not only on food threads - is that posters will not accept people have different views from their own.

I sincerely hope you enjoy the meal there next here. As I said. Some like the Shangri la . Some do not.

Both on and outside Thaivisa it is promoted by some individuals. If someone wants to mention where it is promoted outside TV that is ok. I am not doing so. Most know anyway.

"caf", from your posts here and on the other recent food threads, it seems you are the one with the problem accepting the viewpoints of others.

Don't think you'll be disappointed at the Amari. Their every day lunch buffet is consistently good. Normally one need not make reservations unless there are group(s) dining. One time in the 2 years I've been going I had to wait (without reservations) for about 20 minutes. However, 90 % of the time you can walk in and be seated. Everything there tastes homemade. Not the standard frozen-reheated foods that are typical. Price - 375 baht - well worth it.

The price of 375 baht only applies to holders of the Amari Privilege Card, otherwise it's 450 baht Mon to Sat, Sunday 550 baht....

Home cooked smoked turkey, all the accompaniments including homemade cranberry sauce. Shared between 10 of us, very enjoyable. Now I don't need to eat till New Year :)

Next year we'll do homemade Xmas Pud and we should achieve perfection!

"caf", from your posts here and on the other recent food threads, it seems you are the one with the problem accepting the viewpoints of others.

perhaps you must learn to read. i have my own opinions but i respect the views of others. you won't see one post of mine that shows otherwise

i personally think the shangri la is bad value, as do other posters; but if others disagree then fine.

The price of 375 baht only applies to holders of the Amari Privilege Card, otherwise it's 450 baht Mon to Sat, Sunday 550 baht....

I do not have the Amari Privilege Card (didn't know there was one), and all I have ever paid is 375. Unless this has changed within the last 2 weeks, it is 375 per person.

The Amari and the Marinakorn are good and get some mentions in TV threads.

But I am intrigued why they don't get more. Is there a group of posters that have an agenda for promoting only certain establishments?

Mention Shangri-la, Cherry Charlie and the like and out come the posters. They are not sponsors so that can not be the reason.

Amari, Marinakorn Chez Marco. Deathly silence.

But I am intrigued why they don't get more. Is there a group of posters that have an agenda for promoting only certain establishments?

Mention Shangri-la, Cherry Charlie and the like and out come the posters. They are not sponsors so that can not be the reason.

Chez Marco got a lot of good reviews around 6 months ago especially when Gatorhead was posting :)

I don't think it got one bad review

Chez Marco got a lot of good reviews around 6 months ago especially when Gatorhead was posting :)

I don't think it got one bad review

Yes it did get good reviews and a few bad ones actually, if you look. But my point is why do some establishments not get the same coverage.

With the same wording, if a recent poster substituted "Shangri la" for example instead of " Amari" there would have been a lot of replies keeping the name on the front burner.