Looking For Work

sutyot

I breezed through the posts, so please correct me if I get something wrong.

But any company taking 50% of the salary is ludicrous! I think it's better to get out there on foot and submit CV's in person, or strike a deal with the school, pay you 45K and no 3rd party.

30K/month in Bangkok is going to be tight, especially since you are getting 30K for 24hrs of work, plus gate duties etc. I made 5k less a month for 15hrs, no gate duties, and in by 8 out by 3 in Chiang Mai.

if you were getting the full 60k I would say the work load is a breeze for the pay.

and stay far far FAR away from anything involving Ramkanghaeng.

BlackArtemis, Thanks for the message. Yes, I had the same feeling about taking 50%.

I have taken to the streets looking for work, most language centers have a few teachers they work to near death and don't want to hire any more. Universities, colleges and tech schools all require degrees these days. Years ago this was not the case. A neat, well prepared and dependable person (teacher) got the job.

Almost all the primary and seconday schools are involved with agents. The agents as I understand must put up a type of guarantee on the teachers like Baht 160,000 for the year. They shake the teachers down for upwards of 50% of the monthly salary. One school the teachers still had to make visa runs also every 3 months on Baht 33,000/mth less taxes. Extreme!

I agree that Baht 60,000 with a schedule of 20-25 hrs per week would be ideal. Baht 30,000 is just too short of the mark to make any kind of comfort zone.

Fresh week and looking to knock on a few doors.

SUTYOT

• 4 weeks later...

The official offer is in to start after Summer Break.

Baht 35,000 per month, no taxes paid or social security insurance (SSI).

Visa, work permit, teacher's license provided plus meals

M.4 /M.6 for 20 hours per week teaching (English Conversation only) during 7.30am -3.30pm

12 month contract paid 11 months.

No insurance, no text books, no air-con rooms

Possible OT after regular schedule.

My concerns are the taxes and SSI. No taxes after one year will not allow for a WP to be provided in the second year.

The SSI is not much, but better than nothing.

The failure to deduct and forward your income tax troubles me, too. SSI is mandatory before age 60, isn't it? A 12-month contract with 11 month's pay is bad, but I had worse.

You need the tax Form 50 and SSI is mandatory.

Edited by ilyushin

The failure to deduct and forward your income tax troubles me, too. SSI is mandatory before age 60, isn't it? A 12-month contract with 11 month's pay is bad, but I had worse.

PeaceBlondie, I also feel very troubled by the tax and SSI issues. Soon I will discuss with the school again. From my understanding a Tax Form 50 and also 91 will need to be issued at the end of the year for WP renewal. A contract with the school will need to be sent to Thai Immigration and Labor Department so I just don't see how they can get around the taxes. The SSI should be paid, but still not sure if mandatory like the tax. I would be happy to pay both. The tax return will bring almost all of the dedcuted taxes back and then the SSI is good incase of illness or accidents.

Sutyot

Before I return to discuss with the school about the taxes and SSI, I will prepare some details for their reference. I just don't see how a Visa and WP can be provided without the taxes and Labor Dept. will be concerned about the SSI. Unless they will make me pay them myself.

Sutyot

You may find many of the job links on this page of our website useful:

http://seetefl.com/tefl-job-guarantee/

John

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

http://seetefl.com

I’d like to deeply apologize, AYC’s website is: http://www.aycthailand.com/

I accidentally wrote ayc without Thailand. AYC is an agency located in Bangkok and as far as I know they’re always looking for teachers. I’m sorry for any inconvienence. Happy New Year. I've got nothing to do with a yacht club......

AYC pay rate is one of the lowest in Thailand.

Go for the big boys you see on here, since they seem to be fair on the pay scale and benefits.

John

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

I'd like to deeply apologize, AYC's website is: http://www.aycthailand.com/

I accidentally wrote ayc without Thailand. AYC is an agency located in Bangkok and as far as I know they're always looking for teachers. I'm sorry for any inconvienence. Happy New Year. I've got nothing to do with a yacht club......

Go for the big boys you see on here, since they seem to be fair on the pay scale and benefits.

Agree with you about AYC. I've not seen lower pay at any other agent.

My major issue is a degree. The schools seem not to have a problem as long as you have experience and are able to teach, but the agents demand degrees, TEFL, culture programs, etc...

sutyot

Edited by sutyot

• 3 weeks later...

The school has called and we start some Summer classes just after Songkhran. Still no idea on the taxes or SSI. Topic of discussion during the Summer program. More to come on those issues.

Looking for some weekend work at local universities and language schools in the Northern Bangkok area. PM if you have any leads.

Sutyot

Ramkhamhaeng Institute of Languages Bangkok (Thailand) At least 40,000 Baht/month

Send ResumeFull Time English TeachersThe Ramkhamhaeng Nonthaburi English Teachers’ Project invites applications from foreign teachers of English listening and speaking skills for frill-time positions in Nonthaburi government schools.

• There will be walk-interviews at Ramkhamhaeng University on Sunday 18th April 2010 from 08:30 to 17:00.

• On arrival, applicants will be given a number. This will determine the order of the interviews.

• Passports as well as original diplomas and transcripts must be shown to the legal officer in Room 405 Sukothai Building, Ramkhamhaeng University.

• Once these documents have been checked, applicants will be interviewed in Room 406 Sukothai Building Rarnkhamhaeng University on the same day. A current resume as well as copies of the passport picture page, diplomas and transcripts must be given to the interviewing officer.

• Successful applicants will be invited to participate in a 3-day orientation training program in Room 416 Sukothai Building Rarnkhamhaeng University from Monday l9thto Wednesday 21g April 2010.

Payment of 2,500 Baht to cover the costs of the training must be paid before 17:00 on Sunday 18th April 2010. Applicants will be ranked for speech quality and methodology.

• Applicants with the highest rankings will have first choice of the available vacancies.

• Teaching duties will commence on 1~ May 2010.

We recognize all major full-time TESOL/TEFL courses including: Chiang Mai University TEFL

Chichester College TESOL (TEFL/TESL)

Khon Kaen University TEFL

Prince Songkla University TEFL

SEE TEFL

I just saw this on Ajarn , I would never pay money up front for a job lol, would you? lol thats probably why

Ramkhamhaeng Institute of Languages Bangkok (Thailand) At least 40,000 Baht/month

Send ResumeFull Time English TeachersThe Ramkhamhaeng Nonthaburi English Teachers’ Project invites applications from foreign teachers of English listening and speaking skills for frill-time positions in Nonthaburi government schools.

• There will be walk-interviews at Ramkhamhaeng University on Sunday 18th April 2010 from 08:30 to 17:00.

• On arrival, applicants will be given a number. This will determine the order of the interviews.

• Passports as well as original diplomas and transcripts must be shown to the legal officer in Room 405 Sukothai Building, Ramkhamhaeng University.

• Once these documents have been checked, applicants will be interviewed in Room 406 Sukothai Building Rarnkhamhaeng University on the same day. A current resume as well as copies of the passport picture page, diplomas and transcripts must be given to the interviewing officer.

• Successful applicants will be invited to participate in a 3-day orientation training program in Room 416 Sukothai Building Rarnkhamhaeng University from Monday l9thto Wednesday 21g April 2010.

Payment of 2,500 Baht to cover the costs of the training must be paid before 17:00 on Sunday 18th April 2010. Applicants will be ranked for speech quality and methodology.

• Applicants with the highest rankings will have first choice of the available vacancies.

We recognize all major full-time TESOL/TEFL courses including: Chiang Mai University TEFL

SEE TEFL

I just saw this on Ajarn , I would never pay money up front for a job lol, would you? lol thats probably why

DragonQuest,

Thanks for the message. I also saw this posting on AJARN DOT COM. This website has never provided me with much luck. It seems a few jobs are marketed to several hundred or thousand applicants.

Anyway I have applied for a Nonthaburi Project, but through another university. They don't require any training payment, but a Cultural Class which costs several thousand baht. I was short listed and will probably be called at the last minute.

The full time teaching position that I just landed doesn't require any payments and seems to be a better program. Only the tax and SSI issues that I need to solve.

What I am looking for are some weekend English programs at a university or language school that continue for extended periods. My experience is extensive at university levels, but it has been several years and my contacts have either retired or moved on.

Some contacts at Sripatum University, Kirk University, Dhurakijpundit University, Kasetsart University, Rajaphat University Laksi and The University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce would be helpful for some weekend and weeknight work.

PM me if there are any openings.

Sutyot

I am also seeking a fare school or company to teach at.

I have a couple of years teaching experience in Thailand.

Last year I taught English to Mathayom level students in a school on the outskirts Bangkok.

The hours were (I thought) a little to high. 25 teaching hours and I received a salary of 34,000 baht un-taxed. I didn't pay tax.

We had to be at school at 7.30 each day and generally finished most school days around 4pm.

I was the only teacher to attend the morning gate duties, one day a week (7.15 am start). However that duty was deemed unnecessary by the head teacher around half way through the school term.

The school had few air-conditioned rooms, however I never taught in any. I actually taught in several rooms with no fans!! This made for many sweaty days at school and I actually think I had heat stroke a couple of times.

The school itself was ok, but many facilities either not working or too hard to find someone to operate. No Video/ bad sound equipment. I also had to buy some materials myself.

I do have a TESOL certificate and a Bachelor Degree, but that has never seemed to have made much difference. The school I last taught at had 2 other native- speaking teachers and neither had degrees. I believe I was being paid only 2,000 baht more.

I myself have decided to seek a school with air-conditioning and will only teach Elementary Level students. (Age 6-12 yrs) Mainly because the stress of teaching Secondary students in the Thai Government schools is just not worth it. I don't want to go home to my wife and 2 month old baby with a head ache every day!!

Good luck to you Sutyot. I'm sure once you find a good school and settle in, you will be fine.

I am also seeking a fare school or company to teach at.

I have a couple of years teaching experience in Thailand.

Last year I taught English to Mathayom level students in a school on the outskirts Bangkok.

The hours were (I thought) a little to high. 25 teaching hours and I received a salary of 34,000 baht un-taxed. I didn't pay tax.

We had to be at school at 7.30 each day and generally finished most school days around 4pm.

I was the only teacher to attend the morning gate duties, one day a week (7.15 am start). However that duty was deemed unnecessary by the head teacher around half way through the school term.

The school had few air-conditioned rooms, however I never taught in any. I actually taught in several rooms with no fans!! This made for many sweaty days at school and I actually think I had heat stroke a couple of times.

The school itself was ok, but many facilities either not working or too hard to find someone to operate. No Video/ bad sound equipment. I also had to buy some materials myself.

I do have a TESOL certificate and a Bachelor Degree, but that has never seemed to have made much difference. The school I last taught at had 2 other native- speaking teachers and neither had degrees. I believe I was being paid only 2,000 baht more.

I myself have decided to seek a school with air-conditioning and will only teach Elementary Level students. (Age 6-12 yrs) Mainly because the stress of teaching Secondary students in the Thai Government schools is just not worth it. I don't want to go home to my wife and 2 month old baby with a head ache every day!!

Good luck to you Sutyot. I'm sure once you find a good school and settle in, you will be fine.

Hello MisterBeetle,

Thanks for the post. I understand about the air-conditioning and student behavior.

The classes I have starting on 19 April are in non air-conditioned rooms and are M.4 and M.6 students. I will see what happens. Probably the same as your last school.

You should be able to get a job like you want being you have TEFL, degree and experience. Should I hear about an opening then I will let you know.

Now, I am trying to establish a database of the universities that I listed in my previous post so that I can try to get the weekend and weeknight work.

Take care and Happy Songkhran!

Sutyot

Hello MisterBeetle,

Thanks for the post. I understand about the air-conditioning and student behavior.

The classes I have starting on 19 April are in non air-conditioned rooms and are M.4 and M.6 students. I will see what happens. Probably the same as your last school.

You should be able to get a job like you want being you have TEFL, degree and experience. Should I hear about an opening then I will let you know.

Now, I am trying to establish a database of the universities that I listed in my previous post so that I can try to get the weekend and weeknight work.

Take care and Happy Songkhran!

Sutyot

Sutyot,

Thanks, I have emailed several schools and will wait for a reply. This is the right time now, at the start of the Songkhran to be looking.

In regards to teaching in government school, I know they are not all the same. I actually enjoyed the time there overall. It really comes down to how good a teacher you are as to how the kids will behave.

There was a female American girl who started same time as me and she had so many troubles with her classes- mainly with controlling the pubescent boys in her Mathayom 4-6 classes.

I have seen quite a few part time jobs going around, so you should be able to secure something there.

Best of luck to you and also- Happy Songkhran!!

Nontaburi project...... *shudder*....

Hello ijustwannateach,

I agree with you about the Nonthaburi Project. Not many have survived the duration of the contract.

Too many issues with the administration on this program.

Looks like I will go for the government program in Bangkhen. Then try to pickup some extra hours at the universities in the area.

Sutyot

Send ResumeFull Time English TeachersThe Ramkhamhaeng Nonthaburi English Teachers' Project invites applications from foreign teachers of English listening and speaking skills for frill-time positions in Nonthaburi government schools.

SEE TEFL

DragonQuest,

Thanks for the message. I also saw this posting on AJARN DOT COM. This website has never provided me with much luck. It seems a few jobs are marketed to several hundred or thousand applicants.

Anyway I have applied for a Nonthaburi Project, but through another university. They don't require any training payment, but a Cultural Class which costs several thousand baht. I was short listed and will probably be called at the last minute.

The full time teaching position that I just landed doesn't require any payments and seems to be a better program. Only the tax and SSI issues that I need to solve.

What I am looking for are some weekend English programs at a university or language school that continue for extended periods. My experience is extensive at university levels, but it has been several years and my contacts have either retired or moved on.

Some contacts at Sripatum University, Kirk University, Dhurakijpundit University, Kasetsart University, Rajaphat University Laksi and The University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce would be helpful for some weekend and weeknight work.

PM me if there are any openings.

Sutyot

Thanks for the university lead for weeknight and weekend work glaitong. I just opened the email.

Start Summer School on Monday for the remainder of the month.

Sutyot

The official offer is in to start after Summer Break.

Baht 35,000 per month, no taxes paid or social security insurance (SSI).

Visa, work permit, teacher's license provided plus meals

M.4 /M.6 for 20 hours per week teaching (English Conversation only) during 7.30am -3.30pm

12 month contract paid 11 months.

No insurance, no text books, no air-con rooms

Possible OT after regular schedule.

My concerns are the taxes and SSI. No taxes after one year will not allow for a WP to be provided in the second year.

The SSI is not much, but better than nothing.

Ok, if you collect SSI while overseas and the U.S. government finds out. They will drop your ass (cute you off), fine you, or hold your future checks until you paid it off.

The solution:

• Get a bank account with Direct Deposit.
  • Get a mailing address of someone you can trust in the U.S.
  • Have you doctor give you a copy of the final report of your medical condition. Make a copy and give it to a family member or someone you can "trust".
  • Why. Social Security has a medical review board and they will send you a notice in the mail to your "address" in the U.S. You will need to go to that meeting.

This is what my attorney told me a few months ago.

Thai Social Security.

Now I have taught one week for the Summer school program and all seems to be okay. The contract for Full Time is coming up. Negotiate the SS and taxes.

Hope all goes well.

The evening university programs would be a bonus.

Sutyot

• 2 weeks later...

The high school program begins 11 May with 18 hour week. It should be okay. The taxes and SSI will be discussed. Thai universities in the area will start up programs in June so I look forward to those programs also.

Sutyot

• 1 year later...

How much of the 33,000 baht does the agency AYC take? Do they take half of the salary???

John

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

I'd like to deeply apologize, AYC's website is: http://www.aycthailand.com/

I accidentally wrote ayc without Thailand. AYC is an agency located in Bangkok and as far as I know they're always looking for teachers. I'm sorry for any inconvienence. Happy New Year. I've got nothing to do with a yacht club......

Agree with you about AYC. I've not seen lower pay at any other agent.

My major issue is a degree. The schools seem not to have a problem as long as you have experience and are able to teach, but the agents demand degrees, TEFL, culture programs, etc...

sutyot

Edited by Warhammer820