Bangkok To Samui Business Class - Thai Airways Or Bangkok Airways?

themikeymeister

Hi there

I am coming out to Thailand in February, and fancied treating to myself to a business class ticket with Thai Airways or Bangkok Airways, from Bangkok to Samui.

I am unsure which would provide the better in flight service, and comfort, and also which would provide the better lounge in Bkk, or even if there is a business class lounge at Samui?

Has anyone flown this route business class, and if so which airline would you recommend? Done some pricing up, and Thai Airways seems the dearer option.

Thanks for any advice people.

Cheers

Hi there!

Just to inform you that Bangkok Airways in the ONLY airline that flies that route ex BKK so you do not have that many options really; actually Samui airport was built, developed and is run by Bangkok Airways, meaning that at this stage this is the only scheduled airline that has traffic rights to fly this direct route. (airlines route BKK/USM)

If you wish to fly with Thai Airways ( or even low cost air Asia) you will have to fly to SURAT THANI airport (mainland Thailand airlines route BKK/URT) get a taxi or other to the local pier and from there go across by local boat/ferry service to the island of Koh Samui ( as far as I can remember it takes about one hour and thirty minutes to get across by boat), a nice trip but time consuming...

Some things you need to know. Bangkok airways does not have business class on all aircrafts,flight is only 45 minutes by jet.Thai do fly into Samui, but BKK air, have a nice lounge at BKK ,free for all class of travel.

Hi again!

Apologize for the wrong info provided !!

In fact Thai Airways is flying that route as well ex BKK, meaning that Bangkok air lost the monopoly it had on this route for many years...great for ourselves customers...hope they allow Air Asia to fly it on a near future as well....

Anyway comparing both airlines I would rather fly Bangkok Airways on this route.

Apologizing again to forum users for the mis information

In fact Thai Airways is flying that route as well ex BKK, meaning that Bangkok air lost the monopoly it had on this route for many years...great for ourselves customers...hope they allow Air Asia to fly it on a near future as well....

Except that Bangkok Airways actually own the airport and to some extent are still able to affect the prices.

Hi again!

Apologize for the wrong info provided !!

Anyway comparing both airlines I would rather fly Bangkok Airways on this route.

Apologizing again to forum users for the mis information

I don't even know but I'm guessing that Thai Airways is more expensive than Bangkok?

They still have the monopoly. The reason other airlines couldn't land in Samui is because Bangkok Air who own it, was charging unreasonable fees so no-one flew there. I guess Thai Air decided to pay up....... :)

I would recommend Bangkok Airways over Thai Air since Samui airport is operated by BKK airways and the service is excellent. As a commenter stated, not all BKK aircrafts offer business class seating so check with your resv. agent on the particular aircraft

on schedule for your flight before booking. I remember getting stuck on a ATR-42/72 out of Ko-Samui to Bangkok and the

flight time was over an hour.

Some things you need to know. Bangkok airways does not have business class on all aircrafts,flight is only 45 minutes by jet.Thai do fly into Samui, but BKK air, have a nice lounge at BKK ,free for all class of travel.

Rooo you are very accurate,they have a lounch, but Bangkok airways is bloody expensive(the first and the last flight are a bit cheaper)and it is about time now for the goverment to expropriate the airport,after so many years milking the farang! :)

You should be fine as far as business class. Personally though I would go with Bangkok Air though. I feel Thai Airways is a bit out dated on a few areas, on top Thai Airways has been constantly losing money. I'm going to mention this just so everyone knows. I will try to refind the article it was from either the bangkok post or the nation, but I did read it though: Basically the summary was

Due to Thai Airways losing money and not making enough money on certain domestic routes they would be canceling service to a few airports including koh samui.

Again I am re hunting for this article but I did read it though. As for Your trip here you should be fine.

Don't really see the point in paying 12000THB extra for business. I am a great believer in Business class for anything over 2 hours. But 45 mins really waste of money unless your company is paying or its part of longhaul business class ticket.

Better off keeping the money and upgrading your hotel room when u get there.

Edited by namoo

length of runway USM 4724 ft

747 requires minimum 5000 ft if empty.

the runway is by far not solid enough to take a 747

TG Aircraft to/from Samui Boeing 737-400

...and 1000 baht for upgrade in 747 business class :):D:D

Edited by goldfinger

Hi People

Thanks for the replies.

Think I will go with Bkk Airways then. Checked the pricing yesterday, and the cheapest I could get to Samui for on Bangkok Airways using the early flight option was just under 6000 baht including all taxes and charges.

The BC option was 10,000 baht dead on

http://booking.bangkokair.com/Pages/WebPas...FareReview.aspx

and

http://booking.bangkokair.com/Pages/WebPas...FareReview.aspx

Cheers

Edited by themikeymeister

Thai Airways domestic business class is a complete joke. Don't know how they have the sell it as such. Actually come to think of it currently Thai's international business class is a joke compared to neighbouring competitors and sometimes more expensive.

I would fly with Bangkok airways they have a nice lounge at Bkk and a private lounge at Samui usually to yourself with tv, i normally get the remote to myself and change the channel, then a nice lady will come and get you first and take to to the aircraft on a little golf buggie. I have never seen a lounge for Thai airways, onboard the flight you get plenty of legroom and assistance, food is not bad but good for a 45 minute flight. And yes make sure you choose the 45 minute flight because you dont get bussiness class on propeller plane that takes 1hr 30 mins.

...hope they allow Air Asia to fly it on a near future as well....

A beautiful but impossible dream

nonsense-A-A can and may fly-provided they are willing to xcough up the enormous fees BKK-air as its owner of the aiport asks for. For that same reason an airline like RYAN in Europe avoids many bigger commercial airports.