Where To Go For A Radiotherapie In Thailand?

michskip

Having been diagnosed with a throat cancer few months ago, - stop smoking :) - I undergo a chimiotherapie - TPF type - monitored by Doctors back in europe. now I have to finalize the treatment - protocol - with radiotherapie, and I would like to do it in Thailand - I live and work in Phuket. But this will only be possible if I can find an hospital which will not charge a huge price i.e. more expensive than western prices [even if there is big differences between western prices ].

I know the cancer center with BKK hospital in Bangkok has the proper technologie - and doctors - to do this treatment. but their prices are ridiculous - specially for these particular cancer treatments.

Has anyone any clue or advise. I badly need it as I MUST start the radio treatment by the end of Jan 2010! :D

Thank you all

:D

Mich

Check this out, and check a major hospital in Phuket and a government hospital. They may have a reference to the two centers in the south.

Mac

http://www.nv-med.com/rm/pdf/2004_22_1/6.pdf

Radiation Medicine: Vol. 22 No. 1, 6–7 p.p., 2004

Current Status of Radiation Therapy in Thailand

Yaowalak Chansilpa and Janjira Petsuksiri

Since then, Radiation Therapy Divisions have been

established in many university hospitals and cancer

centers all over Thailand. Nowadays, there are 26

radiotherapy facilities in Thailand, 19 in the government

sector, seven in the private. Seventeen of them are in

the central part of the country, with the majority (14) in

Bangkok. There are three in the north, four in the

northeast, and two in the south. Nine of them are in

medical schools, one in the national cancer center, six

in cancer centers in the six major provinces, and seven

in general hospitals.

try and get a referral from a doc. to the princess chulabhorn cancer institute out near don muang airport.

my brother in law recently had radiotherapy there for brain cancer. its a brand new centre, extremely well equipped and the pricing is better than the hospitals, although what they would charge for a foriegner i dont know.

wishing you all the best.

Saint Louis Hospital in Bangkok is a non-profit and will cost less than private. Try this doctor there:

DR. CHAWALIT LERTBUTSAYANUKUL

Type : Visiting

Clinic : Department of Medicine

Specialty : Cancer

Available Languages: Thai , English

Education : 1990-1996 Doctor of Medicine Chulalongkorn University

1999-2000 Graduate Diploma in Clinical Sciences (Radiology) Chulalongkorn University

Training : 1999-2002 Thai Board of Radiation Oncology The Medical Council of Thailand

2003 Thai Board of Family Medicine TheMedical Council of Thailand

2004 University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania, USA Visiting fellow in intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)

Experience : 1996-1999 General Physician, Nan General Hospital

2002-2006 Instructor Division of Radiation Oncology Department of Radiology Department of Radiology Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn Hospital

2006-present Assistant Professor Division of Radiation Oncology Department of Radiology

Don't bother trying to make appointment online, they are very slow in responding, call the hospital at 02-210-9999

Dr. Chawalit is an Associate Professor at one ofthe leading government hospitals and if the price at St Louis is still beyond your means he may be able to help facilutatre your getting the treatment at Chula (govt hospital) instead. However cost diference betweebn St Louis and Chula usually not that great and the logistics/language problems involved in accessing government hospital can be pretty formidable.

When you see him (bringing of course all records with you) make sure he knows cost is a consideration and that you have to travel from Phuket.

Luckily there are cheap airfares now Phuket-Bkk.

I think it shopuld be possible for you to get some of the aftercare (blood counts) done on Phuket and just call the doctor with the results so as to minimize number of trips back and forth.

Thank you for this hint, I'm just back from EU and will sure try to get an appointment with Dr Chawalit. let you know the developments.

Saint Louis Hospital in Bangkok is a non-profit and will cost less than private. Try this doctor there:

DR. CHAWALIT LERTBUTSAYANUKUL

Type : Visiting

Clinic : Department of Medicine

Specialty : Cancer

Available Languages: Thai , English

Education : 1990-1996 Doctor of Medicine Chulalongkorn University

1999-2000 Graduate Diploma in Clinical Sciences (Radiology) Chulalongkorn University

Training : 1999-2002 Thai Board of Radiation Oncology The Medical Council of Thailand

2003 Thai Board of Family Medicine TheMedical Council of Thailand

2004 University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania, USA Visiting fellow in intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)

Experience : 1996-1999 General Physician, Nan General Hospital

2002-2006 Instructor Division of Radiation Oncology Department of Radiology Department of Radiology Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn Hospital

2006-present Assistant Professor Division of Radiation Oncology Department of Radiology

Don't bother trying to make appointment online, they are very slow in responding, call the hospital at 02-210-9999

Dr. Chawalit is an Associate Professor at one ofthe leading government hospitals and if the price at St Louis is still beyond your means he may be able to help facilutatre your getting the treatment at Chula (govt hospital) instead. However cost diference betweebn St Louis and Chula usually not that great and the logistics/language problems involved in accessing government hospital can be pretty formidable.

When you see him (bringing of course all records with you) make sure he knows cost is a consideration and that you have to travel from Phuket.

Luckily there are cheap airfares now Phuket-Bkk.

I think it shopuld be possible for you to get some of the aftercare (blood counts) done on Phuket and just call the doctor with the results so as to minimize number of trips back and forth.

Thank you All for these addresses and clues, I'll try to organise something in the south if I possible, otherwise I'll have to go in BKK.

actually the Princess chulabhorn institute seems to be a good choice. hope they will allow a farang to be a patient there... tho I dont see why not.

by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!!

Thank you All for these addresses and clues, I'll try to organise something in the south if I possible, otherwise I'll have to go in BKK.

actually the Princess chulabhorn institute seems to be a good choice. hope they will allow a farang to be a patient there... tho I dont see why not.

by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!!

i believe you will need a referral from an oncologist (such as the doctor recommended by sheryl) to obtain treatment there.