Wii For Dummies

tonititan

Hi,

I should admit that I know almost NOTHING about video games. I have never owned one, and rarely played them. I've done some searching on this website already, but most of the information about the Wii is over my head. I need some VERY basic information, and I'm hoping someone can help and "dumb it down" for me. :)

I would like to purchase a Wii system, primarily (well, exclusively, I guess) for the exercise component. It's too freakin hot in Thailand to exercise outside! :D I guess that means I'll need the Wii Fit game. I've looked at the classifieds here and on craigslist, but I really don't know what I need. I understand that there are different versions of the Wii that work in different countries. I don't mind buying one that will only work in Thailand since I have at least another year or two here before I go back to the States...unless there's a good reason to buy the US version.

1. Where would I go to get a Wii? Any electronics store, or would I need to go to Pantip?

2. How much should I expect to pay?

3. What extra components (cords, accessories, some "chip" that everyone is talking about) would I need?

I'm sorry if these questions are too broad, but like I said, I'm just starting to look into this. Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. Mods, if this isn't the correct forum for this, feel free to move my post.

You can get a "chipped" Wii from MBK for around 7900 Baht

This will include 1 x "Nunchuck" Controller set and (MAYBE!) some games thrown in

The "Chip" you are talking about allows you to play none country specific games as well as those that you normally find sold for around 100baht :).

There is a software modification available (MBK again) that will allow you to run games from a thumbdrive or external HDD, which is great for playing those that you can "buy" online.

For the Wii Fit you will be best buying the original game and board, again you can get this in MBK (no idea on cost) and if you want to play with someone else you might want to buy another Nunchuck Set for around 2000 baht.

On top of all that you can buy the guns, steering wheels etc or different games, but the nunchuch set should see you good for most games you can play.

Cords should be supplied, and make sure you shop around, I found prices for the Wii Set (as listed above) ranging from 7900 - 10,000 baht depending on how green you look and where you go.... the smaller "island" stalls rather than real shops should be better prices, but have a good mooch around till you get the deal you want.

I got my Wii at Tescos in the UK. 179 GBP

It included the ordinary Wii remote and Nanchuck plug-in . This lets you play the Wii Sports software (included) with one or two hands. e.g Tennis (one hand) or boxing (two hands)

Also included was Wii Sports Resort package which supplies an add-on unit to the ordinary remote to give extra motion control for frisbee, airsports. wakeboarding etc.

Also included were 2 extra games discs of little value (monopoly,Sims kingdom) basically converted to Wii from other formats (I think)

Check out the web for more details of the games.

I really like the tennis on Wii sports disc, but have had to stop playing because of tennis elbow!!!

Another place to buy Wii units is in Chinatown, Saphan Lek (iron bridge) on Thanon Charoenkrung nr the Thanon Mahachai junction

^ im visiting family back home currently and we have been giving the wii a workout, esp the Tennis on Sports,

currently have a Pro Ranking :) 1400, but still cant work out how they spin the ball, anyone have a clue

If it were possible to use the balance board and chucks on a PC, I'd do that. I've never bought a game system, and I won't start now, but it surprises me that there has been no similar development for the PC.

Guitar Hero was no problem, the ps2 secondary market guitars and the ps2 to usb adapters are available at MBK, and I use the open source Frets On Fire. I think WiiFit has been around for as long as Guitar Hero, but I can't seem to find a similar PC movement.

Thanks for all the helpful info. One more question...is there any way for me to look at a system at MBK, etc., and know whether it's a real Wii or a fake one? I don't mind paying more for a real one, and I don't mind paying less for a fake one since I'll only use it for a year or two...but I don't want to pay for a real one and get a cheap, fake one! :)

Thanks for all the helpful info. One more question...is there any way for me to look at a system at MBK, etc., and know whether it's a real Wii or a fake one? I don't mind paying more for a real one, and I don't mind paying less for a fake one since I'll only use it for a year or two...but I don't want to pay for a real one and get a cheap, fake one! :)

Fake Wiis do not exist. They are all real. Likewise fake WiiFit balance boards do not exist.

Still, have them hook it up at the store and make sure everything is working.

Edited by DP25

Fake Wiis do not exist. They are all real. Likewise fake WiiFit balance boards do not exist.

Still, have them hook it up at the store and make sure everything is working.

Really? When I was browsing through old posts about the Wii, several people talked about the knock-off Wii, like you would buy in Chinatown. Hmmm.