Bringing T-shirts Out Of Bkk To Uk.

During my next hols in Thailand I was considering bringing out say 50 T-shirts to sell. The cheap logo T-shirts.

Am I supposed to declare these when coming in to the UK?

Has anyone any experience and has found this to be profitable?

During my next hols in Thailand I was considering bringing out say 50 T-shirts to sell.  The cheap logo T-shirts.

Illegal and risky coming into UK; they'll take them from you and you have to pay a fine, more than the original merchandise cost you:whistling:

Don't risk it and don't do it, I would advise.

LaoPo

I was in the same predicament as you last December but decided to take a risk. I brought back over 30 T-shirts, along with about 200 pirated CD's and waltzed straight through Heathrow Customs without a sniff.

Many on this forum would say don't risk it but the worst I figured Customs could do to me is confiscate my goodies. Not sure about a fine though. Check that possibility (anonomously, of course !) with Customs.

I was at the end of a 6-month stay in LOS and feeling chipper, so I spread the stuff around my main luggage and hand luggage. I also dressed smartly so as not to look like some down-and-out backpacker. Appearance helped, I'm sure. I strode through Customs with an assertive air (not cocky) and made sure I was close enough to some other respectable looking passengers so that a cursory glance from some Customs officer would have dismissed us a group.

At the end of the day, how lucky do you feel ?

Flame on, all you sensiblle law-abiding posters... :o

Edited by Hong Kong Phooey

Yes you are but how many don't?

It's not a class A drug you are smuggling in don't worry the worst that can happen is they will confiscate the lot as happened to me some time ago.

I sent a load of football shirts but were waylayed by customs and "destroyed" I'm sure, so as to not to deprive the Beckam's of this world some well earned money.

While on the subject of the royal couple, the first kid is called" Brooklyn" as he was concieved there I wonder what they would have called one who was knocked up in Peckam?

Edited by maerim

During my next hols in Thailand I was considering bringing out say 50 T-shirts to sell.  The cheap logo T-shirts.

this is something that loads of mates of mine have tried and tested, but the money ain't great - afterall, what are the margins on t-shirts IF you can get them in anyway. One mate has just ordered his 2nd container of traingle cushons, vases and stuff - i reckon thats where the profit is. it looks very tempting **commercial url deleted** - i think its a thai/farang run thing. i know a guy up north who started sending samples of Thai silk to the US and UK about 3 years ago - he's now one of the biggest importers into the UK

Edited by cdnvic

While on the subject of the royal couple, the first kid is called" Brooklyn" as he was concieved there I wonder what they would have called one who was knocked up in Peckam?

:o:D PB.

I wouldn't worry about anything . you no how the laws are in the uk! rubish

so what if they take it of you .its no the end of the world

you wont get any record or a big fine. I have done it the last 3 trips and I never got pulled

get a night flight back so you arrive when there's no one about . don't use a s,,ty suit case its a dead giveaway

also take stuff out of packets an screw them up just say most are yours if you get a tug

good luck

Ask the customs department in the UK in advance (or, if you want to play it undercover :o , have someone ask for you) what is the custom tax on T-shirts, and how do they set the value of the shirt.

Why think first of the illegal option before you've checked if the legal way is profitable or not?

Edited by ~G~

The funny thing about UK laws is that you do not need a license to import silk into the country,but you need one to bring cotton in. I had a Thai shop in UK and imported all sorts of things. T-shirts did not sell well. Kimonos were the best seller,along with Thai boxing shorts.

My ex-girlfriend's father (in the UK) was a 60 year old headmaster of a large and well respected girls' school. The closest he ever came to excitement was finishing the crossword off in less than his usual time. Quite frankly, he was (and looked) a boring old fart of the utmost respectability. Even so, he got pulled over by customs more times that you would believe. :D

I was in the same predicament as you last December but decided to take a risk.  I brought back over 30 T-shirts, along with about 200 pirated CD's and waltzed straight through Heathrow Customs without a sniff.

Many on this forum would say don't risk it but the worst I figured Customs could do to me is confiscate my goodies.  Not sure about a fine though.  Check that possibility (anonomously, of course !) with Customs.

I was at the end of a 6-month stay in LOS and feeling chipper, so I spread the stuff around my main luggage and hand luggage. I also dressed smartly so as not to look like some down-and-out backpacker.  Appearance helped, I'm sure. I strode through Customs with an assertive air (not cocky) and made sure I was close enough to some other respectable looking passengers so that a cursory glance from some Customs officer would have dismissed us a group. 

Flame on, all you sensiblle law-abiding posters...  :o

My ex-girlfriend's father (in the UK) was a 60 year old headmaster of a large and well respected girls' school. The closest he ever came to excitement was finishing the crossword off in less than his usual time. Quite frankly, he was (and looked) a boring old fart of the utmost respectability. Even so, he got pulled over by customs more times that you would believe.  :D 
I was in the same predicament as you last December but decided to take a risk.  I brought back over 30 T-shirts, along with about 200 pirated CD's and waltzed straight through Heathrow Customs without a sniff.

Many on this forum would say don't risk it but the worst I figured Customs could do to me is confiscate my goodies.  Not sure about a fine though.  Check that possibility (anonomously, of course !) with Customs.

I was at the end of a 6-month stay in LOS and feeling chipper, so I spread the stuff around my main luggage and hand luggage. I also dressed smartly so as not to look like some down-and-out backpacker.  Appearance helped, I'm sure. I strode through Customs with an assertive air (not cocky) and made sure I was close enough to some other respectable looking passengers so that a cursory glance from some Customs officer would have dismissed us a group. 

Flame on, all you sensiblle law-abiding posters...  :o

It really depends what you are brining back if they are not copies of branded merchandice then you are allowed to bring in goods to a vaule of around £90.This is about in be incresaed to I belive around £160 something in the last budget. You can however ship to numerous family and friends individually addressed packages up the same value. There are no exactitudes on this in law it says you can do it infrequenlty. I have shipped a few boxes of vaious bits an peices 7KG costs about 900 baht Thai post surface mail never lost anythinh nothing ever chceked or opened. they say it takes 3 months but normally comes after 6 weeks. Problem is as stated earlier the non branded copies don't really sell.

Edited by alex100