Medical Costs

iravis

I currently pay BUPA International health insurance , which is costing me a small fortune, currently the equivalent of about 18,000 baht per month, which only covers major surgical treatment in Thailand.

Not sure what the charges are for major ops are in Thailand.

So am wondering wether I would be better saving the money I spend on BUPA and

just pay for treatment if/when I need it.

Would welcome some advice

Iravis

I currently pay BUPA International health insurance , which is costing me a small fortune, currently the equivalent of about 18,000 baht per month, which only covers major surgical treatment in Thailand.

just pay for treatment if/when  I need it.

Iravis

The classic risk reward insurance question and is always a personal decision based on risk tolerance and financial ability to deal with the worse case scenarios.

There was a recent article in the Nation that said that heart bypass surgery at Bumrungrad cost 12,000 USD there versus 100,000 in the US.

That has got to be one of the more expensive procedures, but one never knows.

Your coverage does sound high. The other issue to consider is insurability. If you are insurable now, and you later develop something serious, well then you won't be insurable for that condition.

I've been wondering about this topic for a while too...

I'm reasonable young and healthy, but there's always the chance I could get hit by one of those ###### songtaews one of these days

Any idea of any companies doing reasonably priced accident insurance?

Your policy sounds incredibly expensive to me.

I spend about double that, but for two of us for a year - with quite good coverage - covers a lot of outpatient too. Try sending this lady an e-mail ask her to send you their policy info - it's KW Batten out of the UK.

[email protected]

There's also two other places that can give you estimates - from this page on my website

http://phuketdelight.com/medical.htm

- scroll down towards the bottom of the page. But, personally, I think it's hard to beat the policy I have - and I looked for years before getting it.

Edited by tedkarma

just pay for treatment if/when  I need it.

Iravis

BUPA UK coverage on say the gold plan is expensive but its also very good. I had this for many years whilst being covered by my employer. Everything was paid quickly and with no questions. It is streets ahead of local BUPA (BlueCross) coverage in my opinion. From what I can see, the limits on that are really low - forget the headline figure of what they cover you for and look at the detail. I for one will only use Bumrungrad as hospital of choice. I am not going to use local BUPA as its costs fall outside what they cover you for from what I can understand. Doctor consultations are way higher than what they cover you for. Personally, given the low costs of medical treatment here, I have chosen to self insure. In the last 5 years, I am personally well ahead, but its also a question of feeling comfortable that if your placed with a 1,000,000 baht bill - can you instantly pay it (I could) or charge it to your credit card (also yes).