Electric Shavers

Asmerom

I imported my last Philips Electric Shaver as I couldn't find anywhere to buy one here. I suppose the reason being, most Thai males appear to be blessed with smooth hairless faces-quite unlike most hirsute westeners. And getting one sent from the UK adds enormously to the cost. Anyone know where to buy one?

Got my Phillips at Siam TV recently, they seem to have quite a good selection :D

Thanks for the help eveyone. I'm amazed you found one at Siam. :) I've toddled around there twice just recently though not looking for a shaver because I was sure they didn't have them, I always just browse around hoping to see them. I didn't. I'll make more effort next time and maybe even ask. I've never found them at Carrefour or Tesco. Looks as if I might find one somewhere after all. I'd given up.

I bought mine at Carrefore. After having bought it my wife found a shop that services Phillips shavers so I had my old one refurbished with genuine spare parts. The new one now justs sits on the bathroom shelf. :)

I bought mine at Carrefore. After having bought it my wife found a shop that services Phillips shavers so I had my old one refurbished with genuine spare parts. The new one now justs sits on the bathroom shelf. :D

If your wife happened to whisper in your hairless ear where that shop is, would you mind sharing that invaluable infomation here and now? It would be very helpful.I now have two "resting" Philips shavers. At least that's what they think. If I can get them down to that shop they're in for a shock. :)

Just bought a beautiful Philips (the best they say) at Central Department Store in Bkk, they had the whole range! They even had promotion on this one - 5.700 bht

It looks as if Central Department Store has a branch in Chiang Mai at Kad Suan Kaew so I've printed out a nice pic of your beautiful sleek, shiny shaver and will try my luck.

I would like to know which model that is. In the UK there are TWO very similar ones at different prices :

1. Philips RQ 1051/18 ARCitec Shaver and

2. Philips RQ 1095/22 ARCitec Shaver

Which is yours, or is it a clever Chinese copy?

Edited by Asmerom

There's a Phillips repair place on Chang Puak Rd, all the way to the traffic lights (Superhighway end), do a U turn at the lights, and it's about 50 yards on the left, as you head back to town.

There is an overhead sign saying Phillips, but it's small, tho visible from the road.

I buy my razors on the web, get them (it) posted. Cheapest by far, Amazon have a Phillips razor sale on now.

Edited by fridgemagnet

There's a Phillips repair place on Chang Puak Rd, all the way to the traffic lights (Superhighway end), do a U turn at the lights, and it's about 50 yards on the left, as you head back to town.

There is an overhead sign saying Phillips, but it's small, tho visible from the road.

I buy my razors on the web, get them (it) posted. Cheapest by far, Amazon have a Phillips razor sale on now.

Everyone was quite right about availability. :) I went this morning, nearly drowning in the process, to Central Department Store on the ground floor at Kad Suan Kaew where the two Philips I mentioned above are not "on offer" as in Bangkok and are selling for approx 8000 baht and 10,000 baht which I think maybe a little cheaper than the UK prices. Robinsons has them on sale for exactly the same prices. Haven't yet tried Tesco and Carrefour.

I shall certainly be exploring Amazon and thanks for that info about the Repair Shop

• 10 months later...

I saw Philips electric groomers (for styling the beard, sideburns, etc.) at Carrefour. I am quite certain that right next to them were shavers as well.

Update: Went to Carrefour today. Have seen 3 different models of average Philips shavers but no trimmers. When asked, they said they wouldn't have that.

Boots sells a beard/mustache trimmer, battery powered. I forget the exact price; I'm guessing about 800 B. Bought one a year or so ago and use it all the time to trim my mustache and other facial hair. Has like 5 attachments, some of them look kind of kinky....:whistling:

Electric razors are stupid crazy money expensive here.

Go to Carrefour, and buy some Gillette Blue 3 disposable razors. Made in Poland, guaranteed to shave the most hirsute animal's face into a baby's butt smoothness. I think about 175 B for a 3+1 pack. Each razor lasts a few weeks to a month easy.

I have an old Braun rechargeable foil electric razor. When the foil screen wore out (literally wore out- there were holes in it) I went to "Centrum" (sic) in KSK and bought a replacement foil screen. It cost the equivalent of what I paid for the whole electric razor in the US. The razor block was double the cost of the entire razor; I didn't bother with that.

This is an item that one definitely doesn't buy here. 10,000 B someone mentioned above?

Wow. For an electric razor? When I shopped them last year in the US, the top of the line Phillips was maybe $120 at Costco.

My advice is use a Gillette Blue 3 in the shower, or grow a beard.

B)

I think we bought ours for 12,000 baht at Centran or Robinsol. It didn't shave close at all.

Siam TV or Niom Panich.

12000 baht sounds about right. Probably a lot cheaper to buy abroad.

Yes, that`s true, I have a Phillips electric shaver, never did give a close shave, even when new.

Your directions were right on the mark and I thank you. I went there this morning to get replacement cutting heads for my Philips but now consider it totaled after seeing the price. Next electric I buy here, I'll be sure to check out replacement cutters availability and prices for them first.

I think we bought ours for 12,000 baht at Centran or Robinsol. It didn't shave close at all.

Siam TV or Niom Panich.

Yes, that`s true, I have a Phillips electric shaver, never did give a close shave, even when new.

I think for a close shave you have to get a shaver with a screen.

As for replacement parts I went to the service shop and the price was comparable with back in Canada. Only problem being they had to get them out of Bangkok and required I pay up front. Two months later I got my money back.

Got a super nice Braun one at Robinson in Airport Plaza, forgot the price. It works in the wet and has a very nice design.

The only problem is it doesn't really shave you. In order to get a pretty bad shave, I have to use this for 5 Minutes or so. With a normal Razor it's less than a Minute.

If anyone can recommend an electric shaver that actually works, let me know. For the price of those things I expect them to be better than a wet razor - faster, more convenient,

As for price, it's a typical niche for the upper class item in Thailand, and, as such, very expensive, no discounts, no deals, etc. It's not a mass market product here.

Hmm... I guess there are some that do work, see these reviews http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ES-LA93-K-Vortex-Mens-Shaver/dp/B002N5MHLK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1290044070&sr=8-11

Edited by nikster

If anyone can recommend an electric shaver that actually works, let me know. For the price of those things I expect them to be better than a wet razor - faster, more convenient,

My Remington MS2 390 has a screen and it really does shave "as close as a blade". Very noisy but does the job.

It came from Robinsons. I don't know if they still stock them. When I needed replacement blades they ordered them from BKK. They eventually arrived - loose in a sandwich bag. No thanks. Now I order the replacement screen and blades from Amazon.

Siam TV or Niom Panich.

I bought a Phillips in Siam TV for about 4000 baht (special offer) They had a good selection of Phillips and Braun. Do not use the Phillips very much as does not give as good shave as my Mach 3 turbo

My Remington MS2 390 has a screen and it really does shave "as close as a blade". Very noisy but does the job.

It came from Robinsons. I don't know if they still stock them. When I needed replacement blades they ordered them from BKK. They eventually arrived - loose in a sandwich bag. No thanks. Now I order the replacement screen and blades from Amazon.

I see Amazon uses Shaver Outlet, Inc. for many of their shaver products so I went looking around Shaver Outlet., Inc online. It seems the selection is greater there and shipping is slightly less as well. May have to try them since the shaver heads I need are nearly half price (inc shipping) of the Philips shop here in town.

http://shaveroutlet.com/shaver-replacement-parts/heads-foils-and-cutters.html

I see Amazon uses Shaver Outlet, Inc. for many of their shaver products so I went looking around Shaver Outlet., Inc online. It seems the selection is greater there and shipping is slightly less as well. May have to try them since the shaver heads I need are nearly half price (inc shipping) of the Philips shop here in town.

http://shaveroutlet....nd-cutters.html

What a fabulous site for those of us who are quite attached to our epidermis and don't like scraping off a layer of skin every morning. It works like a dream. Surely includes everything a dedicated electric shaver could ever want. I'd give that web designer top marks. And such a simple- to -use buying process with every facility for going back to change something up to the last page. I don't often buy online but I was really impressed.It even has a video about cleaning and replacing the cutters which was put together with the same intelligent ,compehensive thoughtfulness as the site itself. Can't praise it enough.A model site.

I've just bought a Philips Shaver Head on the site for a total of £23 or 1096 baht. (includes postage). The Chang Phuek parts shop quoted 2200baht or £48, 1000 baht deposit and two weeks wait. I'd also contacted John Lewis (a great privately owned retail outlet in the UK and owners of Waitrose) where I'd purchased my Philips Razor two years ago but they couldn't even trace my model. Hopeless peformance but they're still a great store.So, although this thead was started in January 2010 I'm so glad someone resurrected it as you've introduced me to shaveroutlet - a very satisfying website if you don't like wet shaving or whatever turns you on.

And I'm suprised to read Siam has Philips Shavers at 4000 baht. I'll certainly explore. Hope the special offer is still on. I was there a few weeks ago and it was more like 10,000++baht.They don't replace Shaver heads.

I use a Panasonic battery shaver that most 7/11's carry in the battery section @ 250thb. Works great on my heavy beard and so cheap that I bought a 2nd one I keep in the truck for a quick shave on the way to town.

Have had expensive Phillips in the past and this simple Pnasonic is just as good, batteries last forever and easy to replace and shaver still cuts good after 2+ yrs.

I use a Panasonic battery shaver that most 7/11's carry in the battery section @ 250thb. Works great on my heavy beard and so cheap that I bought a 2nd one I keep in the truck for a quick shave on the way to town.

Have had expensive Phillips in the past and this simple Pnasonic is just as good, batteries last forever and easy to replace and shaver still cuts good after 2+ yrs.

Thanks for the tip! That sounds like the way to go!