Getting A New 1 Year Non-'o'

Coming to the end of my 1 year Non-'O', need a new one as it has 'No Extension of Stay' stamped on it.

It's based on marriage, I'm married to a Thai and have 1 child, now coming up 6 years old.

Can I go to the Thai Consulate in KL or other close by to do this?

Thanks

Edited by MJP

KL embassy has a helpful approach, so many go there.

You will need to take with your marriage certificate, signed copy of wife's ID card, completed visa application (obtain at embassy) with passport sized photo. Suggest also taking short letter from wife to the embassy requesting the visa be issued. You will have you show Thai bank book with some funds. KL would like to see an account with 100,000 baht or more in it, but many have received multi entry Non-Immigrant O visa first time there with less funds, so it may be issued with a request that next year you show the full funds. MFA website page for KL embassy now indicates signed copy of tabbian bahn required (or letter explaining why it cannot be produced).

On re-entering Thailand you will get 90 days permission to stay and will need to do a visa run every 90 days. Do a border run just before your visa expires and you will be stamped in for a further 90 days, stretching your visa to 15 months.

No extension of stay doesn't mean you can't get an extension of stay from immigration, it is more a reminder from the consulate that you can not stay longer than you are allowed to stay.

So if you have an incoem of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in bankaccount in your nme for 2 months you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay. If not, you will have to go to a consulate abroad. Kl is the best in the region if you want a multiple non-O, but do have a bankbook to show with some money in it.

KL embassy has a helpful approach, so many go there.

You will need to take with your marriage certificate, signed copy of wife's ID card, completed visa application (obtain at embassy) with passport sized photo. Suggest also taking short letter from wife to the embassy requesting the visa be issued. You will have you show Thai bank book with some funds. KL would like to see an account with 100,000 baht or more in it, but many have received multi entry Non-Immigrant O visa first time there with less funds, so it may be issued with a request that next year you show the full funds. MFA website page for KL embassy now indicates signed copy of tabbian bahn required (or letter explaining why it cannot be produced).

On re-entering Thailand you will get 90 days permission to stay and will need to do a visa run every 90 days. Do a border run just before your visa expires and you will be stamped in for a further 90 days, stretching your visa to 15 months.

Many thanks Thaiphoon, great help.

No extension of stay doesn't mean you can't get an extension of stay from immigration, it is more a reminder from the consulate that you can not stay longer than you are allowed to stay.

So if you have an incoem of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in bankaccount in your nme for 2 months you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay. If not, you will have to go to a consulate abroad. Kl is the best in the region if you want a multiple non-O, but do have a bankbook to show with some money in it.

Might stick 400,000 in the account although dodgy right now as I need this visa to see a divorce through.

Thanks

Might stick 400,000 in the account although dodgy right now as I need this visa to see a divorce through.

Thanks

DIVORCED? :)

Yes. This could take a while and I don't fancy 15 day border runs on a normal tourist visa.

Your wife would need to accompany you to immigration to obtain extension of stay and sign affidavit. Additionally there will be a police check to make sure you are living together as husband and wife. Plus the extension of stay, if granted, would terminate at the date of your divorce. Would suggest obtaining new multiple entry Non-O visa when time to renew.

You may be able to obtain extension of stay on basis of Thai child, but likely will require you to have custody. Alternatively you may be able to obtain 12 month Non-immigrant O visa from consulate such as Perth or Hull on the basis of visiting friends (with signed copy of Thai friend ID card).

This is where the golden mother-in-law (possibly the finest human being ever to have existed) comes into her own. But who would believe visiting a former mother-in-law would be the reason? :)

Another avenue other than flying to KL is i see a visa company that drives you to Poipet, puts u in a hotel overnight and sends your

passport over to Phnom Penh for the 1 year multi O visa and drives you back i am pretty sure next day.

Anybody try this? I am a little leary of letting my passport out of my hands. I used the company a few times and they are pretty good.

I dont need to do this until april but it has been in the back of my mind. If someones interested i can check it more closely as the shop

is right downstairs.

I'd really hate to fly over there and and do all that BS/headaches where i can just relax in a van and overnight in Poipet and they

do all the paperwork/running around etc.

thanks

SGH

Will do MJP, went down tonite but no have boss

i am hoping someone chymes in and says "oh ya i did that and it was fine"

So am I actually. Thing is, if you travel and accommodate cheap enough it can be slightly less. Keep me in the loop dude.

Phom Phen confirmed by telephone conversation only a few weeks ago that a 1 year Non 'O' based on marriage does not require any form of income/deposits in banks.

They required 3 pp sized photos, passport and application, childs birth cert, wifes I.D. card and house book copied......I didnt proceed and instead went to Penang as in PP they take 3 working days and it was over the holiday period. Their phone number is on the website.