Evidence: Thai Taxi Ripping Off

upinthesky

I am not the owner of the vid, just found on youtube. The driver is probably going to get rich from driving his cab. :)

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

I couldn't work out what that video was depicting in the way of a rip-off. Sorry to be so dull about it, but what was I meant to be looking for, apart from the video starting at a meter with 111 baht on it, I assume? midway through a fare?

The meter keeps running while parking at a gas station.

I couldn't work out what that video was depicting in the way of a rip-off. Sorry to be so dull about it, but what was I meant to be looking for, apart from the video starting at a meter with 111 baht on it, I assume? midway through a fare?

Well, to me it looks like the meter is running and milage counting up with the car stationary. I see a guy standing at the side of the car.

Well, to me it looks like the meter is running and mileage counting up with the car stationery. I see a guy standing at the side of the car.

Ahh, thanks. I did notice the chap outside but assumed they were stopped at an intersection or in traffic. I couldn't tell how fast the meter was moving, but thought that meters were meant to run by the minute (at a slower rate than in motion) when the taxi is stopped, so I might be a good prospective candidate for getting myself ripped off next time I catch a taxi.

Thanks also to the OP for explaining what I missed in my senior moment.

Fare enough, then.

Ummm the meters run on time as well as distance!

They don't go up that fast! It was obviously a meter rigged to go up too fast. It was going up 2 baht every few seconds...

Then you notice when the driver gets back in and the camera guy starts talking to him (probably complaining) suddenly it stops going up so fast (actually stop going up at all for the rest of the video), presumably the driver flipped a switch or something. Maybe somebody who speaks Thai can translate.

Apparently from the Youtube comments, the yellow number that starts at 14.1 is the mileage and you can see it increasing as the car's parked.

The passenger at 1.02 asks the driver why the meter's still running and the driver then presumably reaches in, flicks a switch, stops it and gives his excuse.

Surely a faulty meter... :)

What idjut taxi driver would leave the cheat switch on while parking the car and then leaving it....

Does, anyone know how these things are wired.. is to the speedo drive/cable/gearbox?

Thanks for this! There is a post in the Suvarnabhumi forum where some people are saying that we are imagining things when we think we are getting ripped off. This gives good proof!

Oh, and to the poster who tries to reason it away with the cost of the car, the drivers don't own the cars, they "rent" them for the day.

the drivers don't own the cars, they "rent" them for the day.

That's not entirely true, some drivers do own their car while others rent. But the majority rent so you are generally correct.

Sophon

Well that's solved that one then :)

I am not person,who remember how much I pay for cab here or there;once I traveled from Swampy to Morchit,there was 350B on the meter,

together with 50B surcharge and 70B highway fee it made 470B,I had rounded it up to 500B.Driver made funny-amused face - I thought:

"He thinks:you silly falang,I have just cheated you and you give me tip!"

I was very right,recently I traveled the same route twice,once meter was 225B,second time with slower traffic - 250B.

It is possible to rig the meter.It is not our imagination,they do it.