Internet On Prepaid Card

undoo

I want to use my mobile (Nokia E52) with prepaid sim card as wireless modem for my laptop. What kind of prices may I expect in Thailand? I need to upload few megabytes through ftp when i finish my project - what would be average price per megabyte? Also which company will have the best coverage/reliability?

Edited by undoo

I bought an AIS (One2Call) Netsim for 130 Baht and this gives me 30 hours of EDGE/GPRS connectivity per month for a monthly fee of 119 baht. The limitation is only as to time. You can up/download as many megabytes as you like during your 30 hours. NetSims should be available from any Telewiz shop.

DTAC have similar (but not identical) products, but AIS network coverage is better for me in northern Chiang Rai.

Plenty of cheap options.

Straight out of the box pre-paid simcards will give you internet access at the rate of 1 Baht/minute.

Then you have the option to buy hours or monthly packages. Depending on the package between 4 and 7 Baht per hour (approx.) so very cheap.

In Thailand they do not meter your transmitted data, only time on-line.

Don't expect fast speeds though, between 100 and 200 kbps download and between 20 and 60 kbps upload.

I recently purchased a True Move simcard to try 3G on my Nokia E51.

I paid 349 baht for 100 hours internet, registered and went away for a few days. I came back and decided to check the balance of my internet package. Imagine my horror when I discovered I only had 10 hours left even though I hadn't used the Internet at all.

I contacted True and they could see that I hadn't connected at all and that there was a "technical problem". That was about 5 days ago. The "problem" hasn't been solved yet.

So be careful and keep an eye on your usage.

• 2 weeks later...
Plenty of cheap options.

Straight out of the box pre-paid simcards will give you internet access at the rate of 1 Baht/minute.

Then you have the option to buy hours or monthly packages. Depending on the package between 4 and 7 Baht per hour (approx.) so very cheap.

In Thailand they do not meter your transmitted data, only time on-line.

Don't expect fast speeds though, between 100 and 200 kbps download and between 20 and 60 kbps upload.

I have an HTC G1 (first generation Google phone). Will a Happy SIM card allow me to send and receive email on my phone?

Also, what about 3G? Any recommendation on service providers?

Thanks,

Dave.