Yellow Book ,

I used my yellow book as proof of address when renewing driving licence, easier than visiting Immigration office for a letter.

And the ID number on the book is what is on my licence, not my passport number.

Elwood

The same ID number should also become your tax ID number, if you pay tax and inform the RD you have tabien baan.

I got my yellow book from the Amphur in Udon about 10 months ago. Apparently the Amphur in Nongbua Lamphu which is the next province to Udon Thani refuses to issue them because he is spiteful, ignorant of the rules or just lazy. The key is the rules and what paperwork they need varies from Amphur to Amphur so no point in listing what paperwork and hoop jumping I did but it was a lot easier than post #16.

Condo owners do get a blue book but your name isn't inside (as you are a minority owner of something bigger). Those foreigners that 'own' houses or have a usufruct, or rent or lease their houses are entitled to have a yellow book but ultimately it depends if the Amphur can be arsed and needs the cooperation of whoever really owns the land that the house is standing on, or the home owner, ie. the primary resident named in the blue book 'belonging' to that home.

There is (I believe) a 'sticky' thread already posted on yellow books where procedures and opinions are all mixed up so it's a bit of a dogs dinner and frustrating to browse. The above I think is a potted version that just about sums it up.

Having one makes certain procedures easier, such as buying a car but once again, that is dependent on the dealership and any bank that may be extending credit. It's never cut and dried standard operating procedure in Thailand!

From recollection of buying a new built condo some years ago, I was given a blue book by the developer on transfer with the condo address in it but no names filled in. I think that is just a convenience offered to condo buyers who want use their new condo as their registered address and are qualified to be entered into a blue book. I didn't use it as I didn't intend to live there and, in fact lost it. I got myself another blue book as "chao baan" (householder) in the house I live in instead. I think I needed a letter from the owner and, of course, certificate of residence and alien book. Took about 10 minutes at the amphur.

If you can get the Yellow book in certainly makes life easier,

no need for letters from Immigration or your embassy to buy a car or get a driving licence.

It is where you reside that affects your UK pension.

In Thailand you will NOT get the annual increments. :)

There is no one in the Thai goverment who will be telling the UK where

you are living.

If you have a non immigrant visa you can buy a car, but if you want credit to buy it, you'll need a work permit.

As far as the Brit government is concerned, what you don't tell them, they don't know. If you do them them, you will lose your index linking.

Hi Not quite true, i have O-A, with Blue Book, paid 50% down and got the balance through the Ford Dealer, 3 years and a good rate

Hi, Went to our local Amphur, with village head man, girlfriend and her father, with the blue book. Told them that we had come for yellow book, yes no problem, they asked for marriage certificate, told them not married. Ok no yellow book. Farang not married, make many problems. Head man steps in, has his say. Still no yellow book. TIT

jb1

very intresting,,,i have only the blue book ( no name inside ) as i requested 2 yrs ago,,, teh YELLOW BOOK what have a lot of atvantages was SUSPENDED by the taxsin goverment.. as i request in the townhall ,they said the same.

i know people have a yellow book,,,,but they was issued over 5 yrs ago,, at this time i never heard about,until somebody told me.

is it still aviable somewhere at this time, and not in history................

nope this is incorrect. I have applied for and received a yellow book about 18 months ago. Needed to jump through a few hoops, but did get it issued to me with some persistence on my part. Although I must say the general knowledge amongst the Amphor staff is almost nil.........lucky there was one lady with a bit of knowledge. I live in Uttaradit, but I know of others on places like Kamphaeng Phet have been issued this thing too

If you have a non immigrant visa you can buy a car, but if you want credit to buy it, you'll need a work permit.

As far as the Brit government is concerned, what you don't tell them, they don't know. If you do them them, you will lose your index linking.

Wouldn't that be fraud (by omitting facts) with possible legal ramifications? :)