Fire At Baiyok I Building Under Control

george

Fire at Baiyok I Building under control

BANGKOK: -- A fire broke out at the Baiyok I Building, one of Bangkok's skyrocketing building, this afternoon, but it was later under control.

However, firefighters and rescue officials have been assisting people trapped inside the building.

The fire broke out from a power control room on the underground floor of the 43-storey building, located at a downtown area, Pratunam, at around 00:35 p.m.

Firefighters from four nearby stations later managed to put out the fire although billowing smoke has still been engulfing the building, according to local journalists.

People trapped inside the building, the number of whom has not yet been confirmed, were being assisted by the firefighters and rescue officials, said the journalists.

Some of whom have been rescued and rushed to a nearby hospital.

The lower parts of the building are houses of wholesale clothes shops, while its upper parts are rented companies and a hotel.

Commuters have been blocked from entering the area for the sake of their safety, and nearby roads have been closed, causing hours of traffic congestion.

There have been no reports of fatalities so far.

It was the second fire at the building this week.

The first minor one broke out last Sunday, causing panic among people inside who managed to flock out of the building through emergency exits, and there were no reports of any casualties

--TNA 2005-04-26

I thought my nice 'scoop' eye-witness account (now shut down) was better than TNA with their silly clock.

'00.35 pm' isn't a time. ...00.35 am could be, but this fire hasn't been burning 17 hours.

Everything under control, please Ladies and Gentlmen, don't block the pavement. Nothing to see 'ere. Move on.

It was the second fire at the building this week.

The first minor one broke out last Sunday, causing panic among people inside who managed to flock out of the building through emergency exits, and there were no reports of any casualties

i take it buildings catching fire in bkk is quite common then.

Sorry for the ignorant question - Where is Baiyok I Building?

Its near "patunam market" (its how i hear name, sorry), where have many shop of clothes, and just near Panzip (its how i hear name, sorry : "pantip plaza"), THE place for computers.

Thanks, I found it.

By the way - Pratu Nahm = Water Gate (pratu=door/gate, nahm=water)

Update:

Police report on Baiyoke Tower fire

BANGKOK: -- The police are still gathering evidence on the cause of the fire at a Bangkok's high rise tower on Tuesday.

Investigators from the Scientific Crime Detection Division have inspected the control room on the second floor of the building and questioned five witnesses.

According to their initial investigation, the police believed the fire started in the control room where all the equipment was badly burnt.

The seminar room on the fifth floor was completely destroyed.

Hotel guests at the Bai Yoke One tower moved their belongings to the sister building, Baiyoke Two on Wednesday after the city’s administration declared the 43-storey building off-limits.

The Bangkok municipal authorities believed the fire was sparked by a short circuit in the control room, the top Bangkok official, Khun Ying Natthanon Thavisin told TNA.

The carpet in the building was also inflammable and this made it difficult for fire fighters to extinguish the flames, she said.

The Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayothin has signed a contract for fire engines and other gear from Austria. Although it costs more than six billion baht, the new equipment will help officials fight any fires in building over ten storeys.

The Bangkok authorities have also implemented other fire safety measures in large buildings, including regular fire drills and rigorous regulations on the construction of buildings.(

--TNA 2005-04-27