Any Experience - Green Book Ad Seen In Tv Classifieds

onlycw

A friend of my Thai wife works in one of the local Dept of Land & Transport.

A while ago I found a lovely 1300 Honda without Greenbook.

So my wife asked her how easy it would be to get one.

Her friends reply was that it was impossible and a good way to lose money if you pay someone to try and do it for you.

Ask yourself why it takes 12 weeks when it takes only a short while to register a bike bought from a showroom.

If they only need your bike 10 days for the emission test test what is the other near 11 weeks for?

Oh yes, when I asked the dealership that had the 1300 Honda if they could get me a Greenbook they said 'sorry, very difficult'.

Just tell them you'll hand over the cash when you see the book. I would use them if I needed a book. But I know a few other people too. That is very close to the going rate. Your bike had better have an invoice. That would be a red flag for me. If they tell you you don't need an invoice I would pass on it.

I would say it's not impossible. Just very difficult. Just because your wifes friend works at the LOCAL DMV does not mean that she exactly know everything.

Perhaps I could have made it clearer.

She actually works in the registration part of the D of LT so I think she does know more than most.

Maybe it's local policy here, who knows, but when someone who actually works there says 'no can do' I tend to take that advice.

I would say it's not impossible. Just very difficult. Just because your wifes friend works at the LOCAL DMV does not mean that she exactly know everything.

She actually works in the registration part of the D of LT so I think she does know more than most.

Maybe it's local policy here, who knows, but when someone who actually works there says 'no can do' I tend to take that advice.

I know of a couple places in Bangkok that can get legit green books for imported bikes. Don't know how they do it, but they do get it done...

I know of a couple places in Bangkok that can get legit green books for imported bikes. Don't know how they do it, but they do get it done...

I heard that too but I have yet to meet someone who has gone this route recently and come out of it with a legit greenbook.

I would love to hear of anyones experience who has registered a big bike 'with invoice/paper' within the last few months, not several years ago.

Registering a big bike is a long prosess before reaching local Land Transport Department.

at lest 1 month to clear identity by BKK office, including inspection of bike.

Emision, doable for some California spec bikes in 2 weeks, some bikes with heavy mods a month, most bikes not doable. LOS has the worst bike emission requirments in the world, on par with California.

Time to apply for local reg

My good friend bought a 2005 cb400 from a shop in Chiang Mai. It was nearly double the price to include the green book but he insisted on having it. The shop told him it would take about 1 month but it ended up taking about 3 months but it is all legit in the end. He finally got the bike and reg about 6 months ago. The bike (just assembled fresh from Japan) was around 50K with no book or 90K with book so 75K sounds pretty steep for a green book to me unless you are getting a really big super bike or something as the bigger bikes do cost more.

Edited by blakegeee

Do what you wish. In early 2003, I nearly bought a brand new 2001 Suzuki TL1000 for US$7000 in Houston. :) Instead; I moved here. Choices: a 2003 new BMW F650 for half a million baht; a new Honda CBR150 for 62,600 baht; or a worn-out, unregistered Suzuki GS400 for ~28,000 baht. Easy choice.

Same with my local mechanic no problem getting a green book. I guess you have to know some one :)

My good friend bought a 2005 cb400 from a shop in Chiang Mai. It was nearly double the price to include the green book but he insisted on having it. The shop told him it would take about 1 month but it ended up taking about 3 months but it is all legit in the end. He finally got the bike and reg about 6 months ago. The bike (just assembled fresh from Japan) was around 50K with no book or 90K with book so 75K sounds pretty steep for a green book to me unless you are getting a really big super bike or something as the bigger bikes do cost more.

a 40k book can not be legal for a CB400. The emision test fee is 30k not including mods to pass. most bikes dont pass on first test. tax, reg fees, in addition.

a legal book comes with importduty and tax invoices from custom, excice tax invoice, vat invoice, emission certificate, reg tax.

20-40k is the going price for a recycled book, not even close to legal but usually works out on the road

a 40k book can not be legal for a CB400. The emision test fee is 30k not including mods to pass. most bikes dont pass on first test. tax, reg fees, in addition.

a legal book comes with importduty and tax invoices from custom, excice tax invoice, vat invoice, emission certificate, reg tax.

20-40k is the going price for a recycled book, not even close to legal but usually works out on the road

The thing about the "gray" books is, everything will seem fine - it looks good and you can pay the tax every year and get a sticker, etc. Then in a few years you go to sell it. When the buyer goes to transfer ownership you find out you've got a book thats no good. And the import papers are long gone. now you've got a bookless, paperless bike. i know. first "big bike" here i went the "I can get you a book" route. at that time it was 35,000 baht. when i "sold" the bike i had to refund the money, lost the book, lucky not to lose the bike, ended up selling it to a shop for 1/2 of what i had sold it for first. But everyone's connection is different - "won't happen to me" :)

The thing about the "gray" books is, everything will seem fine - it looks good and you can pay the tax every year and get a sticker, etc. Then in a few years you go to sell it. When the buyer goes to transfer ownership you find out you've got a book thats no good. And the import papers are long gone. now you've got a bookless, paperless bike. i know. first "big bike" here i went the "I can get you a book" route. at that time it was 35,000 baht. when i "sold" the bike i had to refund the money, lost the book, lucky not to lose the bike, ended up selling it to a shop for 1/2 of what i had sold it for first. But everyone's connection is different - "won't happen to me" :)

My first bike had a grey book but i did not have a problem when i sold it. I let my local mechanic do all the paper work and as i said if you know someone :D

I looked at a couple of bikes last month in Khampaeng Phet.

A 400c Kawasaki Eliminator for 60k no book and the guy at the dealers told me the book would be another 60k so I passed on that one.

The other was a private sale Honda Steed for 75k no book.

I had to go to the land transport office anyway and asked how much a green book would be for that one.

The 4 guys there had a collective sharp intake of breath and talked among themselves for a little then said,

Cannot do it here, you have to go to Bangkok Mo Chit land transport and very expensive.

I also looked at a Honda Steed at a bike dealers in BKK and he wanted 88k for the bike and 38k for the green book.

Most farangs I have talked to about it tell me not to touch a bike without a green book and more importantly

She who must be obeyed says the same thing.

Sigh

Now I will have to save hard and perhaps rob my sons piggy bank. :)

Well, deduct the 75 k fee and a new made in Thailand bike like the Kawasaki 650 or 250 or a Tiger Boxer 250 RS looks very appealing indeed. The latter can be bought for the price of that green book. :)

A Tiger Retro costs 30,000 and a Honda Wave FI, not sure, as 125 maybe 45,000?

He who buys cheap may have to buy a second time

Chris

I gave up shopping for used big bikes after six weeks here. For want of a rectifier, a Kawasaki was lost. The guy who bought a VFR400 barely made it to BKK - 700 km away - to spend 22,000 baht and three days to get it running. I never heard of these under-600 cc 'big bikes' in the USA. 22-year old limited production motors with a mixture of parts. How many owners? How well cared for? How long to get parts and reliable service? No, thanks. In addition to registration problems.

But if you have to have one......

But if you have to have one......

...just buy a reasonably priced Thai produced bike- there are more and more choices all the time. Tiger Boxer 200 or 250, Kawasaki KLX150, D-Tracker, Ninja 250R, Ninja 650R, ER6n and more on the way such as the Honda VTR250 that is rumored to be coming to Thailand soon. It's a great time to be in the market for a bike in Thailand! All the new legal bikes have made the gray market bikes dirt cheap, if you care to go that route with associated risks, good luck to you. Ride On!

Will this green book thing one day ever be solved.Means regular poeple can go to the local customerfriendly office and can get for a fair price a legal registration.How many roads ah how many coconuts need to fall down this dream comestrue.i dont want a new bike i look funny on them.old man on that plasticthing.emission test i mean there is the work to do first at the trucks every biker knows.200 percent import tax at the boats its scrapped is the bikerlobby not that strong.Many nice bikes around here BSA BMW Triumph classics nearly all dont have a book.Would be nice the officials would come up with a biker friendly solution.25000 should be enough for older bikes not worth more then 150000 baht.But as long they leave us ride what is the fact this is only a sugestion not a complaint.Also leave the licenceplates the old small size for what thev get bigger all harleys i see with copies and the originals home.See you with or without phuketbikeweek 2010 for party.Would be nice see some officials on the stage at pattaya or phuketbikeweek about this issue instead we need to plant siblings again.

Has anybody heard of them (or better yet "know" of them) taking away a book when they find it to be grey? Or do they just give it back and say that they cannot make the requested changes?

Customs take the book and the bike. On the road, in a workshop, in Land Transport Department or wherever they spot it. Sometimes its possible to get it back for 20k baht tea money.

Causing an accident with an illegal bike can cost million of baht