Prakanong Too Far?

mrpinknz

It's probably cheap and it isn't too far away, but from walking around there, I wouldn't want to live near Soi Pridi. It's a poor area.

I live in Soi Pridi. Whilst it is hardly an exclusive area, it really isn't that bad at all and has great access to Sukhumvit, Petchburi and Ramkamhaeng. I prefer the term 'budget' rather than 'poor' :)

Edited by Moonrakers

Its ok -depends how far down the soi you live - it goes on a long way but you can get a songethaew or motorbike up to the BTS - a bit quiet but perfect for the price - check it out there are literally hundreds of places available, probably worth paying a little bit more for closer to the BTS -ignore any bell end comments you get

I used to live there too - not on Pridi, but across the road on the other side of Sukhumvit. For me, the appeal of Phrakhanong was the value and proximity to the BTS. I was able to afford a nice, renovated, huge condo within walking distance from the BTS. I had looked at Thong Lo & Ekamai, but in those areas you get half the space for twice the price, and very far from the BTS. Honestly, I felt like there wasn't as much to actually do in the Phrakhanong area - it's not like the other major roads along the BTS. But, it's so close to the more happening areas that it's perfectly fine. Depending on where you are looking, it's also convenient to be right by Rama IV, which connect to Asok and can get you to an MRT station really quickly.

Is there a specific condo you're looking at?

Yep lived in the area (plenty of embasies, maybe set up corrispondents) :)

my wife`s workshop where she was was there & not bad at all

had apartment for 6mths 10,000 bht a month not to bad i think

So unless yu plan to move more than 10 k`s away ther`s no problem :D

It's probably cheap and it isn't too far away, but from walking around there, I wouldn't want to live near Soi Pridi. It's a poor area.

I live in Soi Pridi. Whilst it is hardly an exclusive area, it really isn't that bad at all and has great access to Sukhumvit, Petchburi and Ramkamhaeng. I prefer the term 'budget' rather than 'poor' :)

:D It's an interesting area for sure. And I'm sure you could get a good deal. Lots of tasty Isaan street food around also, but the Soi seems to be neglected somewhat and the sub sois are dark and perhaps not the best place to roam around after dark.

it's also convenient to be right by Rama IV, which connect to Asok and can get you to an MRT station really quickly.

Sukhumvit Plus is the place, right next to rama 4 and BTS. Theres a 70sqm 2 bedder for 25K, i'm thinking sh*t this is a serously good deal, place is brand new and an absolute stunner in terms of design and furnishing. Some people are telling me 'thats far too much to spend' i say 'go live in ladprao or ratchada then' but i seriously, honestly, truely can't find anything that even compares for any less that 30, and i've been apartment hunting for months. early-mid sukhumvit has studios for 20 - ridiculous. Plus i'm sick of riding motorcycles, its just flatout dangerous in this town. BTS is the way to do it forsure. Thanks for your comments, generally good things being said about Phrakanong.

Edited by mrpinknz

it's also convenient to be right by Rama IV, which connect to Asok and can get you to an MRT station really quickly.

Sukhumvit Plus is the place, right next to rama 4 and BTS. Theres a 70sqm 2 bedder for 25K, i'm thinking sh*t this is a serously good deal, place is brand new and an absolute stunner in terms of design and furnishing. Some people are telling me 'thats far too much to spend' i say 'go live in ladprao or ratchada then' but i seriously, honestly, truely can't find anything that even compares for any less that 30, and i've been apartment hunting for months. early-mid sukhumvit has studios for 20 - ridiculous. Plus i'm sick of riding motorcycles, its just flatout dangerous in this town. BTS is the way to do it forsure. Thanks for your comments, generally good things being said about Phrakanong.

Sukhumvit Plus area is a safe neighborhood. The only problem is noise and traffic. Never attempt to cross Rama 4 at the pedestrian crossing. Using Sukhumvit overpass may add a couple minutes walktime to BTS but much safer.

Sukhumvit Plus area is a safe neighborhood. The only problem is noise and traffic. Never attempt to cross Rama 4 at the pedestrian crossing. Using Sukhumvit overpass may add a couple minutes walktime to BTS but much safer.

Agree that the area is safe. Crossing the road at the Sukhumvit junction can be a bit difficult but further down the road about 200 meters, is fine. There is always a traffic jam at the intersection so crossing Rama IV by the 7-11 is not that difficult, although you may have to wait a bit if traffic is flowing. I would of course, recommend taking a unit facing away from the roadway.

The area is also conveniently located between two sets of Carrefour and Lotus, at Rama IV and at Onnut. Regular buses in either the Sukhumvit or Rama IV roads take you to Lotus/Carrefour. Buses can also take you quite easily to Lumpini, Silom, or Sathorn on Rama IV or Klongtoey fresh market (for the cheapest and freshest seafood).

Just 400m further in, behind Sukhumvit Plus, you can get a 70sqm 2-bedder for the same price which includes 4 mbps internet line and maid cleaning, laundry and ironing twice a week.

post-77843-1263088438_thumb.jpg

<br />
it's also convenient to be right by Rama IV, which connect to Asok and can get you to an MRT station really quickly. <br /><br />Is there a specific condo you're looking at?
<br /><br />Sukhumvit Plus is the place, right next to rama 4 and BTS. Theres a 70sqm 2 bedder for 25K, i'm thinking sh*t this is a serously good deal, place is brand new and an absolute stunner in terms of design and furnishing. Some people are telling me 'thats far too much to spend' i say 'go live in ladprao or ratchada then' but i seriously, honestly, truely can't find anything that even compares for any less that 30, and i've been apartment hunting for months. early-mid sukhumvit has studios for 20 - ridiculous. Plus i'm sick of riding motorcycles, its just flatout dangerous in this town. BTS is the way to do it forsure. Thanks for your comments, generally good things being said about Phrakanong.<br />
<br /><br />Just 400m further in, behind Sukhumvit Plus, you can get a 70sqm 2-bedder for the same price which includes 4 mbps internet line and maid cleaning, laundry and ironing twice a week.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Could you please post the building name, contact details etc.?

Just 400m further in, behind Sukhumvit Plus, you can get a 70sqm 2-bedder for the same price which includes 4 mbps internet line and maid cleaning, laundry and ironing twice a week.

Could you please post the building name, contact details etc.?

Project name is Waterford Park Rama 4. It is not a recent project, but is about 14 years old with a quiet community of which about 45% are foreigners, and half of them farangs.

PM me if you are interested. I am completing renovation of a 1-bedroom 62sqm unit (4th floor) with a large balcony (>10m2) looking down onto the swimming pool on the first floor. Just installed the new air-con units and brand new furniture and electrical items will be delivered early Feb. Unit will be ready for leasing out around mid Feb.

If you need a 2-bedroom, I can connect you to my agent who just found a tenant for my 2-bed unit. I believe there are a few other units available.

Edited by trogers

I think that you should make sure to really look around carefully at the condition and location of Sukhumvit Plus and Waterford Park Rama IV before you make any decisions. Yes, Waterford is off the main road so a little quieter, but it's also a fair ways down the soi...a good 10-12 walk to the BTS station for me. It seemed that the majority of people took motorcycles down the soi anyway. There's not a whole lot on the soi in terms of shops, but there are a couple nice small Thai restaurants, a 7-11, and a Lotus Express. If the units available in Waterford have been newly renovated, hopefully they will be ok. But the unit I rented had termites! Just be careful!

I think that you should make sure to really look around carefully at the condition and location of Sukhumvit Plus and Waterford Park Rama IV before you make any decisions. Yes, Waterford is off the main road so a little quieter, but it's also a fair ways down the soi...a good 10-12 walk to the BTS station for me. It seemed that the majority of people took motorcycles down the soi anyway. There's not a whole lot on the soi in terms of shops, but there are a couple nice small Thai restaurants, a 7-11, and a Lotus Express. If the units available in Waterford have been newly renovated, hopefully they will be ok. But the unit I rented had termites! Just be careful!

Yes, termites are common in projects over 5 years old. That's why I am spending nearly Bt1600 per sqm on termite resistant parquet from Leowood for the bedroom floor, not those Bt600 per sqm laminate flooring also found commonly in quite a few new projects.

Floors in living, dining and pantry area are 60x60cm high gloss ceramic.

Edited by trogers

I know of a couple of brand new buidlings on Pridi 14 for rent. Depending on the floor, big 1 bedroom for 15k (70 sqm) and two beds (100+ sqm) 23-26k a month.

I stayed in this soi during 1984-86, right at the end next to Klong Prakhanong before they cut a new road near to the expressway. But it is 3 km to BTS Prakhanong.

I know of a couple of brand new buidlings on Pridi 14 for rent. Depending on the floor, big 1 bedroom for 15k (70 sqm) and two beds (100+ sqm) 23-26k a month.

I stayed in this soi during 1984-86, right at the end next to Klong Prakhanong before they cut a new road near to the expressway. But it is 3 km to BTS Prakhanong.

Let's see it takes me 5 mins by bike to the bts. coming home I can take bike 5 mins or grab a taxi 8 mins. 5 mins from Jusco to my house. Coming from BTS onnut if you want to stop at Lotus on the way home its 10 mins by taxi as you take the short cut near ram intra entrance.

Let's see it takes me 5 mins by bike to the bts. coming home I can take bike 5 mins or grab a taxi 8 mins. 5 mins from Jusco to my house. Coming from BTS onnut if you want to stop at Lotus on the way home its 10 mins by taxi as you take the short cut near ram intra entrance.

Bike ride to mouth of soi 14 (2-3 mins) and took over 20 mins just for my direct bus (no. 115) to pass through the traffic light at mouth of soi 71 during 7.30-8.30am. I worked at Bangrak area back in those days - constructing the Shangri-La hotel.

Yes, termites are common in projects over 5 years old. That's why I am spending nearly Bt1600 per sqm on termite resistant parquet from Leowood for the bedroom floor, not those Bt600 per sqm laminate flooring also found commonly in quite a few new projects.

We seemed to notice them coming from the ceiling, actually. Well, the wood paneling/trim around the ceiling. The flooring didn't seem to have much to do with it. I just got tired of finding them in my closet, and we were unhappy with some other things about the condo, so we got out of there after our lease was up!

We seemed to notice them coming from the ceiling, actually. Well, the wood paneling/trim around the ceiling. The flooring didn't seem to have much to do with it. I just got tired of finding them in my closet, and we were unhappy with some other things about the condo, so we got out of there after our lease was up!

Were you staying in a unit on the first floor? They are popular with farangs, being next to the pool deck. But these units have a problem with high humidity due to the plants and soil around the pool deck.

I refurbish the whole unit, replacing all interior elements and renovated the bathroom, door panels, all M&E system and add in a ELCB for tenant's safety.

Bike ride to mouth of soi 14 (2-3 mins) and took over 20 mins just for my direct bus (no. 115) to pass through the traffic light at mouth of soi 71 during 7.30-8.30am. I worked at Bangrak area back in those days - constructing the Shangri-La hotel.

All I can say is that I leave the house at 8am and with bike and bts I am at my office by 8:20 am. Coming home is about the same. only time it takes longer is the rain when one wants a taxi - but that's the same everywhere.

Were you staying in a unit on the first floor? They are popular with farangs, being next to the pool deck. But these units have a problem with high humidity due to the plants and soil around the pool deck.

I refurbish the whole unit, replacing all interior elements and renovated the bathroom, door panels, all M&E system and add in a ELCB for tenant's safety.

Nope, we were on the top floor...with a cement roof.

There are some real mansions in Pridi 14, down in moobahn Pakamas. Having lived in Prakanong District for about 25 years I am very familiar with the area. Yes, Prakanong went downhill when Asian Dept store, Edison's and other department stores closed shop as a result of Carrefour and Tesco opening up across the canal. Thai Daimaru was the first to go. However, there are still some very nice places around, not necessarily new but well kept up. Because of the (wrongly)perceived decay of the area you can get some good housing bargains. Transportation is convenient in all directions.

Edited by GarryP