Give Way Road Rules

gravion

On roundabout:

Ok im the driver on the red car and I want to to turn right.

I must give way to the green car on the right right?

And the blue car must give way to me right?

Am I correct so far?

But seems I encounter this situation a lot where blue car do not give way, and I end up stopping in the middle of the roundabout giving way to the blue car.

post-94931-1263114499_thumb.jpg

^^The situation regarding roundabouts is as frustrating as it is dangerous, but this is an example of how many people drive here..

I've long since decided to use many of the driving practices that most Thais seem to follow, because doing otherwise will only cause an accident.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

The Thai Traffic Law B.E. 2532 has this to say

" Traffic approaching a roundabout must give way to traffic coming from the right already on the roundabout.

Vehicles that are exempt from this regulation are the following.

1) Songtaews, tuk tuks, samlors, buses. fuc_k it. In fact all forms of public transport.

2) Fat women in rubber boots and aprons riding a motorcycle and sidecar laden down with fruit and/or vegetables from the local market.

3) Knackered Isaan registered pick ups with not less than 20 people on board.

( Note 1. Pick ups registered in Kalasin have special dispensation to drive counter clockwise at a roundabout providing the driver is peering through the windscreen with a confused look on his face).

4) All forms of H20 (solid or liquid) delivery vehicles.

5) Crappy old Honda Civics/Mitsubishi Lancers with big bore exhausts and Japanese tuning company stickers adorning them which, despite bearing such stickers, most probably give out 30% less horsepower than when new due to the

fact that their engine's fuc_ked.

Note. These regulations are also null and void for 90% of people carrying Thai ID cards."

:)

Edited by mca

Dive for the gap, but just before you get to your exit make sure that you are in about the middle lane or lanes. That way you don't need to cut across too many other vehicles.

Roundabouts are relatively new here, hopefully you won't encounter a pick up deciding to go the other way around.

Come on...how long have you lived here!

It seems Thais don't know how to use roundabouts, or they have their own rules for their use. I hate roundabouts here, especially when, as the OP said, the blue cars just shoot out into the roundabout without giving way to traffic already on it.

Is there a "give way to the left" rule here, instead of the right? At my licence renewal, there was something in the video we watched about giving way to th left (through my wife's translation haha). maybe she was wrong, but it might explain why some drivers dont bother giving way to the right at roundabouts.

thats what I do as well.I am terrified of one day having to drive in the UK after driving here for so long. I will be on the recieving end of lots of road rage!

^^The situation regarding roundabouts is as frustrating as it is dangerous, but this is an example of how many people drive here..

I've long since decided to use many of the driving practices that most Thais seem to follow, because doing otherwise will only cause an accident.

Roundabouts, circles, cricus', whatever rely on people that know how to merge and be peaceful about it. Then it works. What seems to be talked about is that most people don't know how to do that - so, that's why circles are not longer in high density places.