Have Ais Screwed Up Somewhere

phazey

I got a weird one. I communicate with my missus daily over mms/email.

her email address for the phone is presented as [email protected].

for the 2nd time today, i've got the wrong number of her phone (replace xxxxxxxxx above with an unrecognised number) - i know it's a fudgeup as the first time i got the wrong address, i mistook it for the wife's dads phone, when i called it was nothing to do with my family....got another one a few minutes ago...anyone else ??

AIS has been having quite a few problems this month... biggest one was a couple of weeks ago, when people using DTAC were having problems calling AIS users... always getting a busy signal. DTAC blamed AIS, and AIS blamed DTAC. I'm still getting weird routing (as of yesterday) and can't contact some people even though they can call me.

Last week I was having terrible trouble calling my wifes 12Call mobile from the UK, it kept going to "welcome to call back service".

Thing is she had full signal strength and was able to call me with no problems.. :o

My parents also had the same experiences trying to contact me during the last month.

Seems ok this week though.

totster :D

there was a big report about that in yesterday's BANGKOK POST......DTAC accused AIS to block 70% of the calls from DTAC to the AIS system....which matches my own experience during the past weeks..... AIS blamed DTAC to be not able to handle the traffic at their own system due to the fact they got so many promotional offers....which is a bullshit I guess.....well, dont forget one fact : AIS = Thaksin . So would you expect a fair competition ? you already forgot the rules ? everyone who is against AIS is against THAKIS, and therefore, is an enemy of Thailand and should be jailed or shot immidiately...and if its FALANG, at least leave the country within 24 hours :D but oh shit....one of my HP numbers is still 12call :o

The problem of calling to Ais from Dtac hasn't gone away yet, but it's off the news focus already. Even Bangkok Post's Database hasn't mentioned it in their weekly "home review".

Having to dial again and again and watch your phone it case it finally connects is annoying to say the least.

The problem of calling to Ais from Dtac hasn't gone away yet, but it's off the news focus already. Even Bangkok Post's Database hasn't mentioned it in their weekly "home review".

Having to dial again and again and watch your phone it case it finally connects is annoying to say the least.

Right, its off the news focus, but the DTAC customers phoning to AIS are still suffering . No connection, busy. Friends of mine changed from the always reliable DTAC to the the promotion loaded :D AIS. They all regret it, besides this I can not contact them for hours :o .

I work in the telecom industry and can inform you all that it is very easy for a service provider (e.g. AIS) to block all calls to its customers from competitors (e.g. Orange, DTAC).

I sat in the car with my gf the other week and tried 8 times to call her unsuccessfully. When she tried to call me straight after she got through first time. Guess what, she is AIS and I am DTAC!

Any further comment would be superfluous.

I work in the telecom industry and can inform you all that it is very easy for a service provider (e.g. AIS) to block all calls to its customers from competitors (e.g. Orange, DTAC).

I sat in the car with my gf the other week and tried 8 times to call her unsuccessfully. When she tried to call me straight after she got through first time. Guess what, she is AIS and I am DTAC!

Before people get into the "AIS is evil" and "AIS blocks calls deliberately" mindset, check out this post from an AIS engineer explaining the situation:

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/mbk/topic/T3416315/T3416315.html

It's in Thai, but the gist is that calls between AIS and DTAC (at least in BKK) have to pass through a trunk. The trunk has a set capacity and can handle a set number of calls, the same number in both directions (say, 500 originating from DTAC, 500 originating from AIS). Now we all know that AIS has the largest customer base by far, so people will call *to* AIS the most, since that's where most mobile numbers are. So we have a disproportionate number of calls *from* DTAC to AIS, while not so many calls from AIS to DTAC (not as many people to call in DTAC).

Now, with the Songkran holiday and the huge amount of DTAC promotions, the problem gets worse. Up to the point where the trunk from DTAC to AIS gets utilized to full capacity, hence the busy signals and messaging. On the other hand, not as many AIS customers are calling DTAC (reason mentioned above), so there is no problem there.

So, basically, the trunk doesn't have enough capacity. Now who's responsible for that? Both DTAC and AIS are, since the trunk is a product of both companies. Expansion of trunk capacity has to be symmetric (ie. expand to 1000 to AIS, 1000 from AIS, and not 1000 to AIS, 500 from AIS) since that's the way the business goes. It doesn't matter if there are more calls to than from. Expansion also has to be agreed on by both sides, and paid for by both sides.

Now about AIS deliberately blocking calls. The engineer explained that something like that wouldn't be likely, since DTAC would know immediately, since the trunk is under supervision by both companies.

So who's fault is this? I say both sides, but perhaps DTAC more than AIS, since DTAC failed to forcast the jump in usage through Songkran and its many promotions. This is a bit strange, since even before the promotions and holidays, the trunk between AIS and DTAC was already utilized to very near full capacity.

Technically no problem to block number ranges of calls but I doubt AIS will block other service providers calls. In Thailand all the providers signed Interconnection agreements. AIS collects nice money :o for routing DTAC calls to AIS subscribers and vice versa. Besides that analyzers are installed on both sides of the gateways monitoring all the calls. Its just a planning and design matter. Some more DPN switches to set up, trunk capacity to increase, some redundancy to build for your 8 unsuccessful calls.