Attorney General Indicts Five Police, Ex-officer In Saudi Businessman's Disappearance

churchill

BANGKOK, Jan 12 (TNA) - Thailand's Office of the Attorney General (OAG) has indicted Pol Lt-Gen Somkid Boonthanom, chief of Provincial Police Region 5, and four other active and former police officers in connection with the disappearance of Saudi businessman Mohammad al-Ruwaili in 1990.

The indictment took place exactly one month before its statute of limitations on the case ends on February 12.

Mr al-Ruwaili has been presumed dead since he went missing in February 1990.

OAG Special Cases Division director-general Thanapit Moonlapruek said the panel considering the case agreed that evidence gathered by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) was sufficient to try the case and decided to prosecute Gen Somkid and four other officers for the murder of Mr al-Ruwaili.

All five were present at the OAG and were transferred to the criminal court for further legal procedures. Their lawyers are in the process of seeking bail.

The first hearing has been set for March 29.

Gen Somkid is the prime suspect in the premeditated murder of Mr al-Ruwaili, who is believed to hold vital information on the killings of four Saudi diplomats in Bangkok.

He was last seen in a car with Saudi consul Abdullah al-Besri on February 12, 1990, and was reported missing three days later. His car was found abandoned in the Bangkok Christian Hospital's parking lot and the Saudi consul was murdered after being seen with Mr al-Ruwaili.

It was widely believed that Mr al-Ruwaili was kidnapped by police investigating the Saudi consul's murder, and that he was tortured and later killed by his captors to cover up their actions.

The Saudi authorities also want to see developments in the case before its statute of limitations ends on February 12.

The Saudi Charge d'Affaires to Thailand Babil Ashri told TNA after learning the latest developments in the case that he believed it is good news for Saudi Arabia as the kingdom has been waiting for prosecution in the case for almost 20 years.

He said there are two more cases for which the Saudi government is awaiting developments, including both the murder of the four diplomats and the diamond scandal that has soured Thailand-Saudi Arabia relations for decades.

The Saudi envoy said he believed this is the first step to restore ties between the two kingdoms, particularly labour cooperation. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-01-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=13685

Thailand tries to mend jewel theft rift with Saudis

There are only a handful of blue diamonds in existence

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has met the Saudi charge d'affaires to discuss improving diplomatic ties, after a 20-year rift.

Relations soured after a Thai labourer stole jewels - including a rare blue diamond - from a Saudi palace in 1989.

Several months later, three Saudi diplomats were shot dead in the Thai capital Bangkok.

A Saudi businessman, Mohammad al-Ruwaili, believed to have witnessed one of the shootings, then disappeared.

Thai prosecutors are expected to rule on Tuesday whether or not to indict five former police officers in connection with the disappearance of Mr al-Ruwaili.

story continues:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8452754.stm

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2010-01-11

The Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) was established in 2003 as an inclusive institution of global governance regulating the world-wide trade in diamonds. Founded to prevent rebel groups and other armed movements in countries such as Angola, as entered on

http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_...3949_index.html

The biggest diamond in the Saudi haul was stolen in 1989 and then made its way to Thailand. I would guess that the diamond has been cut up into several smaller diamonds and may never be found. I don't know if the KPCS covers diamonds entered into the market between 1989 and 2003. Anyone have any ideas on the subject? Please understand I am only an amateur concerning this subject.

I would guess that the diamond has been cut up into several smaller diamonds and may never be found. I don't know if the KPCS covers diamonds entered into the market between 1989 and 2003.

according to a post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Arrest-Warra...0&p=3195595 they are still in thailand and not cut - apparently some thai was seen wearing it in a public place

Even if this is not a successful prosecution it sends a message to the BIB that there are limits,

and what you get away with now may come back to bite your ass in the future.

If this stops any future major BIB 'indicretions' then it will be of benefit.

If it convicts these guys so much the better.

There is a picture of the accused at a Chiang Mai police war on drugs event.

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/342/news.shtml#hd7

If the allegations are true it may take a while to clean up other crimes he might be responsible for. Did all you farangs in the region give him your property details yet so he can be sure and protect you?

The Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) was established in 2003 as an inclusive institution of global governance regulating the world-wide trade in diamonds. Founded to prevent rebel groups and other armed movements in countries such as Angola, as entered on

http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_...3949_index.html

The biggest diamond in the Saudi haul was stolen in 1989 and then made its way to Thailand. I would guess that the diamond has been cut up into several smaller diamonds and may never be found. I don't know if the KPCS covers diamonds entered into the market between 1989 and 2003. Anyone have any ideas on the subject? Please understand I am only an amateur concerning this subject.

The Kimberley Process is not restrospective, and in fact whilst it has had some effect on the main evil it was set up to combat, namely blood diamonds, it is still possible to circumvent it. I have seen Sierra Leone diamonds smuggled into other African countries and certificated for the paymet of a fee, or mixed with another country's production, but this is smallscale in terms of value.

Recently a huge diamond theft went down which not many people have heard of, a professionally executed, still unresolved crime, which the lack of a Kimberley Certicifate will preclude from being sold on the open market or cut by reputable diamond cutters.

These diamonds came from a South African mine and a Tanzanian mine, contrary to the brief report below.

$2.9 Million Diamond Parcel Stolen in Transit

A diamond parcel, containing nearly 15,000 carats of diamond estimated to be worth $2.9 million, has been stolen in Johannesburg during transit to Antwerp.

The South African Police Services Organized Crime Unit, to whom the theft was reported, have had no success so far in recovering the diamond parcel. The diamond originated in Tanzania.

MISSING OF SAUDI

5 policemen indicted over murder of Saudi

By Kesinee Taengkhio

The Nation

Published on January 13, 2010

Suspects plead not guilty; ex-Army general says ties with S Arabia influenced decision

Public prosecutors finally announced their decision yesterday to indict Pol Lt Gen Somkid Boonthanom and four other policemen for allegedly murdering Saudi businessman Mohammad al-Ruwaili 20 years ago.

The indictment said that between February 12 and 15, 1990, Somkid and the four defendants shot dead the victim, after beating him up to make him confess to being involved in the earlier killings of three Saudi embassy officials.

The five allegedly kidnapped al-Ruwaili and detained him at a Bangkok love motel, before disposing of his body in Chon Buri's Sri Racha district.

The suspects were charged with premeditated murder, with additional intent to hide other crimes and to escape criminal punishment - jointly under Articles 288 and 289 - and abduction later resulting in the death of the abductee - jointly under Articles 309 and 310.

The suspects pleaded not guilty, and were released on a bail of Bt500,000 each.

The indictment also cited a reason it believed led to the deaths of the Saudi embassy officials: revenge killings resulting from the 1987 violence in Mecca in which a large number of Sunni Muslim pilgrims were killed. "The violence later led to attacks and killings of Saudi diplomats in many countries, including the shooting of a Saudi diplomat in Thailand on January 4, 1989," it said.

"The five defendants kidnapped al-Ruwaili because of their understanding he was behind the killings of Saudi officials in Thailand, following their conflict over employment contracts of Thai labourers working in Saudi Arabia," the indictment said.

The court set January 29 for the preliminary hearing to inspect new evidence: a ring belonging to the victim seen worn by one of the defendants, fresh evidence that resulted in an earlier postponement by the prosecutors on whether to indict the five policemen.

A date for the decision on the indictment was scheduled before the New Year break, but was postponed to Monday, when there was another last-minute postponement. The indictment was finally announced yesterday.

Somkid is now commander of Provincial Police Region 5. The four other policemen, two of whom are still active, are Pol Colonel Sorrarak Joosanit, chief of Sob Moei district police in Mae Hong Son province; Pol Colonel Praphas Piyamongkhol, chief of Nam Khun district police in Ubon Ratchathani; retired Pol Lt-Colonel Suradej Udomdee and retired Pol Sgt-Major Prasong Thorrang.

Al-Ruwaili was a shareholder in a job-placement firm in 1990. The victim was believed to hold vital information on the spree of killings of four Saudi diplomats in Bangkok. He has been presumed dead since he went missing in February 1990, but a court order endorsing his legal disappearance has not been made at the request of his relatives.

Speaking after the indictment, Somkid said he had witnessed "outside factors intimidating and pressuring" the public prosecutors. "All these factors have led to me being punished socially. I have been judged already by society through being a murder suspect," he said.

Retired Army General Somjate Boonthanom, a brother of Somkid, said it was not fair that bilateral relations between Thailand and Saudi were used "as a bargain" to "speed up" the process to indict his brother.

"Saudi Arabia has used the Thai labour issue to bargain over the indictment, although it denied that it had interfered with the Thai justice system, but its charg้ d'affaires [Nabil H Ashri] was having frequent meetings with Thai officials before the indictment was announced.

"His statement was that the progress of the case would positively result in better bilateral relations. Isn't this kind of statement a use of influence? To me, it is. But it is good, because the entire matter will now go through the justice system," he said.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the Royal Thai Police and Somkid's superiors would decide whether he would be temporarily suspended. He refused to comment on whether the indictment would result in a positive response for Thai-Saudi relations.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-13

according to a post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Arrest-Warra...0&p=3195595 they are still in thailand and not cut - apparently some thai was seen wearing it in a public place

Apparently from some reports, someone very important in the Thai structure, and who would seem to enjoy total immunity :)

It was photographed on the neck of Gen. Chavalits wife, while attending a party in Hong Kong. I remember the picture was shown in the Bangkok Post or The Nation...

Too little - Too late. This administration is just going through the motion to appear as if they were doing something. But in no time - the statutes of limitations will kick in, the indictment will be thrown out of court and that will be that. No more chance of appeal? No more chance of taking the case back to court?

Just another embarassing moment swept under the rug.

Apparently from some reports, someone very important in the Thai structure, and who would seem to enjoy total immunity :)

It was photographed on the neck of Gen. Chavalits wife, while attending a party in Hong Kong. I remember the picture was shown in the Bangkok Post or The Nation...

:D Yes I heard that also. But if it is true, it indicates how corruption reaches the very top in Thailand, after all wasn't he the P.M. at the time ?

Nation - The indictment also cited a reason it believed led to the deaths of the Saudi embassy officials: revenge killings resulting from the 1987 violence in Mecca in which a large number of Sunni Muslim pilgrims were killed. "The violence later led to attacks and killings of Saudi diplomats in many countries, including the shooting of a Saudi diplomat in Thailand on January 4, 1989," it said.

"The five defendants kidnapped al-Ruwaili because of their understanding he was behind the killings of Saudi officials in Thailand, following their conflict over employment contracts of Thai labourers working in Saudi Arabia," the indictment said.

Cover story is in place and oops that 20 year statute of limitations comes due ..... when? February is it :)

Looks like we are going to get one last roll of the dice by this administration in hopes of conning the Saudis. Hasn't worked in 20 years but hey why not give it a go.

BBC

A Saudi businessman, Mohammad al-Ruwaili, believed to have witnessed one of the shootings, then disappeared.

I would believe rather this version, than indictment "between February 12 and 15, 1990, Somkid and the four defendants shot dead the victim, after beating him up to make him confess to being involved in the earlier killings of three Saudi embassy officials".

investigation and confession by torture is conducted in the police station, and not in a love hotel. If the arrested dies, the body is handed out for authopsy and to the family, and not disposed somewhere in the sea.

"The indictment also cited a reason it believed led to the deaths of the Saudi embassy officials: revenge killings resulting from the 1987 violence in Mecca in which a large number of Sunni Muslim pilgrims were killed. "The violence later led to attacks and killings of Saudi diplomats in many countries, including the shooting of a Saudi diplomat in Thailand on January 4, 1989," it said. "The five defendants kidnapped al-Ruwaili because of their understanding he was behind the killings of Saudi officials in Thailand, following their conflict over employment contracts of Thai labourers working in Saudi Arabia," the indictment said.

the 3 diplomats and a civilian, Mohamamad al-Ruwaili, were investigating the jewelry theft - source AFP http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Arrest-Warra...12#entry3262412

to my understanding, the thai government is trying to cover up the reason behind the murders

to my understanding, the thai government is trying to cover up the reason behind the murders

Yes, and make it look like they are trying ... of course the statute of limitations will make it a moot point, no one will ever stand trial, but maybe if they do it one more time, appear earnest, determined, and heck, why not smile a lot too then maybe the Saudis will ...

:)

No It's too far fetched

The ambassador should go these newspaper's archives, get a copy of the photograph then hold a press conference where he holds up the photo and declares "Give it back to me "!

The ambassador should go these newspaper's archives, get a copy of the photograph then hold a press conference where he holds up the photo and declares "Give it back to me "!

Just a wild guess but I would guess that any copies that may have been in the Bangkok Post archive were used as firelighters long ago.

at the time another political family, the Adireksan clan had Pramarn? I think as chief of police. At the time, Chavalit and the COP basically dictated that there would be not further discussion on the subject (he was not PM though, at that time I think he was just moving into politics but became PM later on in the mid 90s taking Thailand into the currency crash). Basically, to stop any investigation. Kind of like the proposal to restore a 1997 constitution and let everyone go home - it means no blame, no responsibility, no repurcussions for anyone, noone rocks the boat. Sadly, back then seems like the Saudis didn't want to play like that, especially given the effective pearl necklace fired directly in the faces of the true owners of the jewelry by the then powers and their wives; as I recall the Prince was willing to forgo all other jewels but insisted to have the blue diamond returned.

The various military wives (and one significant other) photographed with various items of jewelry universally claimed that they were copies, and had since been lost or were borrowed items, but the person who lent it to them was mysteriously missing etc. It was a fine piece of acting, rivalled only by actresses like Sonya Couling claiming that the sudden increase in their bust lines is the result of some cream despite the silicon looking like half a grapefruit. (not that there's anything wrong with that, some of the hottest chicks are named like fruit. Tangmo for instance).

Bodies started to pile up, as per the timelines given in other articles etc; basically insiders shut down investigations by the Saudis themselves. An real investigation would require true government support. obviously this was not forthcoming under the Chavalit government; surprising really, as one would expect that every PM dreams of an investigation that involves a picture of their own wife. No.....better to focus on alledgedly leaking news of the impending crash of the baht to friends so they could short sell - avuncular politicians make the best friends to have in high places.

Under the later Democrat Chaun 2 govt, there was no real investigation done as I think somehow some of the military and also the wives of some politicians would be implicated and the coalition of that period was a bit unstable to say the least; that period Chuan had far more important issues to deal with like solving the country's economic woes, which he basically had concluded by 2000 in time for TRT to take over a fairly stable economy with a confidence issue.

The TRT government had Chavalit and Pongpol Adireksarn as ministers plus other coalition partners who were allegedly directly involved most likely with the theft of the oroginals, replacement and then distribution and usage of the jewels, and therefore despite an electoral mandate that would have in theory allowed a very direct and easy attack on the people involved in the courts, nothing was ever done. Should one ever wish to see the degree of favouritism given to party supporters, one need look no further than Chalerm and his son; 1 year suspended sentence getting away with murder for the son which he didn't really observe (alledgedly); dad is now head of PT and was never charged with aiding and abetting despite boasting on numerous occasions that he had kept in touch with his son for close on a year, then proudly marching the son (like a hero) to Suttisarn police station once the various witnesses had been bribed/silenced. If an alleged murder witnessed by 20+ people can be removed, what chance would a 10+ year old case have of getting heard?

In addition the significant other photograph rumoured to be floating around at that time represented a major future power deal that was not to be broken.

The coup govt were military - definitely not likely to do anything on this with a bunch more things to deal with and they only had a year anyhow.

PPP coalition had a chance but didn't do anything really other than try to wind back the constitution - their masterly inactivity in every other area meant the only results we saw was a rebranding of a TV station and some talk of a rice cartel plus some crop pricing.

The current Dem coalition have the ticking clock to deal with, and some (cynically but that's just me) observers might comment that to be seen to do something is enough; the statute of limitations kicks in and those in power can thus normalise relationships while their predecessors logically take more of the blame, while not having to do the 100% due diligence and investigation.

I suppose more positively, to be able to finger a few of the thieves and then get 100,000+ jobs back for what is mostly the PT constiuency (rural Isaan workers) would also be a nice to do from a social responsibility and also from a law enforcement perspective. Although the idea of doing something for these reasons to generate genuine long term results is a novel idea in Thai politics has not been proven to be a widely endorsed approach, when one considers the relative strengths of cynical vote grabbing stupid plans, which can be marketed and made popular with the electorate with almost instant (PR) results.

PR results are of course, more valuable than actual results.

Edited by steveromagnino

Very good post steveromagnino, I would love to see some of those photos. Bit like the one of the smoking gun on the grassy knoll.

Shame that the face saving, cover up and vested interests have cost Thailand something like 200 billion baht lost trade and money sent home from Saudi since 1989 but I guess that's ok so long as certain people can remain at large.

Very good post steveromagnino, I would love to see some of those photos. Bit like the one of the smoking gun on the grassy knoll.

Shame that the face saving, cover up and vested interests have cost Thailand something like 200 billion baht lost trade and money sent home from Saudi since 1989 but I guess that's ok so long as certain people can remain at large.

I am absolutely positive the financial impact is far more than 200 billion baht; Saudis are not theoretically supposed to travel to Thailand and when you consider that those who do (who tend to be senior enough to not have to obey government advisories) are the types that will ask for a shopping mall floor in the centre of BKK to open at 8-9pm so they can go shopping for luxury brands; then ask for the entire swimming pool and spa to open in the evening so the female guests can enjoy privately....and they occupy multiple hotel rooms etc etc.....one can imagine the impact is considerable on a person by person basis. Imagine not having hardly any visit for years.

The impact to the NE of Thailand (where the majority, but not all the workers came from) could be calculated something like this:

150,000 workers

12 months a year

income premium in remittances estimated at 10,000b a month per worker

20 years of lost earnings

value = 360,000,000,000 baht.

Tourism

100,000 visitors per year

average stay 5 days

average spend per day total 10,000b (extremely conservative, on average there might be a few who spend something like (personally witnessed) 20-100 times that per day

12 years of lost earnings (early 90s, tourism harder to estimate)

value = 60,000,000,000 baht

Business opportunities

as they say in Mastercard ads....priceless. Or at least...hard to calculate.

Plus there is the minor issue of actually seein justice served.

I am absolutely positive the financial impact is far more than 200 billion baht; Saudis are not theoretically supposed to travel to Thailand and when you consider that those who do (who tend to be senior enough to not have to obey government advisories) are the types that will ask for a shopping mall floor in the centre of BKK to open at 8-9pm so they can go shopping for luxury brands; then ask for the entire swimming pool and spa to open in the evening so the female guests can enjoy privately....and they occupy multiple hotel rooms etc etc.....one can imagine the impact is considerable on a person by person basis. Imagine not having hardly any visit for years.

The impact to the NE of Thailand (where the majority, but not all the workers came from) could be calculated something like this:

150,000 workers

12 months a year

income premium in remittances estimated at 10,000b a month per worker

20 years of lost earnings

value = 360,000,000,000 baht.

Tourism

100,000 visitors per year

average stay 5 days

average spend per day total 10,000b (extremely conservative, on average there might be a few who spend something like (personally witnessed) 20-100 times that per day

12 years of lost earnings (early 90s, tourism harder to estimate)

value = 60,000,000,000 baht

Business opportunities

as they say in Mastercard ads....priceless. Or at least...hard to calculate.

Plus there is the minor issue of actually seein justice served.

Ditto. you are absolutely right.

steveromagnino,I am truly impressed with your thorough knowledge of the Arabic mentality, and their spending capacity.

Most of the international hospitals are praying they will get back the Saudi patients, they are more generous in paying without questioning details, less-demanding and easy to please, because they are:bit richer, less educated, and less arrogant than their neighboring countries' citizens.

Not to mention;Most of the taxi drivers who speak Arabic, had worked in KSA.

I bet the whole "entrainment industry" is on it's toes too. :)

Edited by zaza