Have Question About Plates For New Motorbike

daones

My girlfriend just bought a new motorbike in essan and she told me that she has to wait 3 months for the white plates which is understandable but what i dont understand is that she told me she cannot get red plates because she did not put enough money down... so what is the point of having it with no plates? we would probably get stopped everywhere.

So can anyone fill me in on the options to get a red plate for the motorbike until the white plates are ready? Because what she told me does not make sense, i would think there is a fee for the red plates correct?

Also the bike is bought in essan but will be used in Chonburi.

My understanding of it was that Red plates were only issued to motorcycles that were bought under a financial contract (loan for the bike), whereas motorcycles that were purchased wholly for cash did not receive the red plates.

Without the red plates, you MUST MAKE SURE, that you carry all the purchase documents with the bike at all times and you CANNOT ride after dark (6pm) and prior to sunrise....ie: cannot be ridden during the hours of darkness.

Having bought a motorcycle and paying for it in whole, I was without plates for 2 weeks, but I hear about 4 is the norm. I constantly hounded the dealer where I bought the bike and I think he got sick of speaking to me and went down and haggled the plates. I believe mine was quicker because I ordered and PAID FOR specific plates.....that being my lucky proverbs & numbers :):D

My understanding of it was that Red plates were only issued to motorcycles that were bought under a financial contract (loan for the bike), whereas motorcycles that were purchased wholly for cash did not receive the red plates.

Without the red plates, you MUST MAKE SURE, that you carry all the purchase documents with the bike at all times and you CANNOT ride after dark (6pm) and prior to sunrise....ie: cannot be ridden during the hours of darkness.

Having bought a motorcycle and paying for it in whole, I was without plates for 2 weeks, but I hear about 4 is the norm. I constantly hounded the dealer where I bought the bike and I think he got sick of speaking to me and went down and haggled the plates. I believe mine was quicker because I ordered and PAID FOR specific plates.....that being my lucky proverbs & numbers :):D

Thanks for the reply, we dont use the motorbike much just to go to the store sometimes that is not far so i guess as long as we have the documents well be okay, but even with the documents the police cannot charge a fine?

Also she did not pay full in cash, we put down a cash payment and are paying every month.

I never heard what neverdie said, but he's usually correct when it comes to bikes. From what I've heard I wouldn't think in Issan you would have much trouble riding a new bike with no plates as long you have some paperwork showing it's new and you are waiting for the plates. In Bangkok they don't even issue redplates at all.

Another more remote possibility is sometimes they ask for s deposit for the red plates. Maybe that is what she's talking about?

I have never heard of that before, paying the bike off and you didnt get red plates.

Some police may try and pen you up a fine, thats fairly standard stuff, even when everythings in order, but if you play your cards right it will be fine providing that you have all your paperwork in order.

Hopefully you bought the bike from a reputable dealership, i have heard of some dealerships not paying the registration costs ect and telling people of lengthy plate delivery times etc, only for it to be discovered later that the dealer hadnt submitted the paperwork in a timely manner.....having said that, I cant confirm that, its only what I have heard.

I feel 4 months or even 2 is a terribly long waiting time, I would start chasing it immediately, it seems the longer you leave things the more difficult they become.

I was probably stopped about a dozen to 15 times in the 2 weeks I didnt have plates on the bike and I got very tired of it, but was never booked, each time I had to go through the full saga of producing all the documents.

Perhaps you GF could chase this with her local motor registry, thats where you get you drivers licences and pay your yearly plate fees and insurance. Even if she just confirms the paperwork has been submitted by the dealer and perhaps enquires to the waiting time for the plates :)

good luck

Edited by neverdie

I never heard what neverdie said, but he's usually correct when it comes to bikes. From what I've heard I wouldn't think in Issan you would have much trouble riding a new bike with no plates as long you have some paperwork showing it's new and you are waiting for the plates. In Bangkok they don't even issue redplates at all.

Another more remote possibility is sometimes they ask for s deposit for the red plates. Maybe that is what she's talking about?

What are you talking about, every day of the week I see dozen of bikes running around with red plates.

What happened when you bought your new bikes, or were they full cash payments?

What are you talking about, every day of the week I see dozen of bikes running around with red plates.

I've never bought a bike in Bangkok. Only Phuket. We have redplates here. I've seen a couple threads discussing this. I remember BigBikeBKK saying that. The outcome of both threads was he was right. I'll go find them, maybe my memory is wrong.

I never heard what neverdie said, but he's usually correct when it comes to bikes.

:) only correct when it comes to bikes, does that mean everything else I talk about is utter <deleted>? :D

No Comment. :D

neverdie, here is the thread where the claim is made that redplates are not issued on any new bikes sold in Bangkok, of which you were a part of initially but then sort of disappear half why through. :)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Traf....html&st=50

To save time, the thread culminates here:

"But why is it theres no red plates in Bangkok ?? Red plates exist, so is it the dealers cant be bothered, the dealers wont pay to get them, the dealers are rationed them (there is a rationing, heard that from a dealer down here).. But ultimately it IS the dealers job."

As stated earlier, there are no red plates for bikes in Bangkok. They do not exist in Bangkok. It's got nothing to do with the dealers so no, it's NOT their job.

If I had to guess I'd say that Bangkok did away with red plates for bikes because they are so often misused. I know lots of guys in other provinces that ride bikes for years on a red plate because they can't or won't get their bikes properly registered.

Don't try that in Bangkok unless you want to kiss your bike goodbye.

Happy Trails!

Tony

But red plates do exist.. On finance vehicles.. So why is this ??

My understanding of the red plates (and its quite possibly wrong) is the red plate belongs to the dealer.. Its his registered to him, and he cycles it through many bikes one after another when he makes the sale.. I know when vehicle sales are high dealers can run short of red plates, and maybe have a tough time getting more from the government.. I know when this happens they call round their customers trying to get them in ASAP, I also hear Thais like to drive round on red plates as long as possible to show face in the 'new vehicle' syndrome.

Now maybe the finance people lean on the dealers to have the bike plated to provide the insurance ?? Or what ?? Why do finance bikes get them and cash bikes dont ??

But red plates DO exist in BKK.. They just seem unwilling to give them out if you pay cash.. So the question is why ?? Maybe the Gov makes them pay for the plates too much, and they cant get more as many dealers in BKK use all the allotment ?? So become stingy with them.

If you go buy a car cash in BKK do they not give out a red plate to the car ??

Dude you're killin' me! laugh.gif

We're talking about Bangkok and we're talking about bikes. We're not talking about Phuket and we're not talking about cars.

THERE ARE NO RED PLATES FOR BIKES IN BANGKOK. CASH OR FINANCE STILL NO RED PLATE. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.

Ride On!

Whatever the answer is, on the issue of redplates on finance bikes and cars vs. paid in full bikes and cars: I think the reason why red plates are issued for financed bikes but not paid in full bikes, if not in Bangkok then elsewhere, is because it gives the finance company one more tool to use in tracking down bikes which the owners have defaulted on. Incidentally, both my Ninja 650R and katabeachbums were paid in full and received red plates, so go figure.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

every motorbike and vehicel, should have a number plate by law be it red or white. i drive from chiang mai to bangkok with no number plate and no questions asked until i got to the city of bangkok. the reason for not having the red plate was they had run out of plates. i was reassured by a well known supplier not to worry, which ended in a fine.

neverdie, here is the thread where the claim is made that redplates are not issued on any new bikes sold in Bangkok, of which you were a part of initially but then sort of disappear half why through. :)

No nothing suss about that, I just lost track of the thread, primose :D .

What I was referring to differs to what tony is saying, but as i have just clarified in that thread, I bought in Bangers in 2007 and I know what was happening then, Tony is talking about 2009, so maybe something changed.

I discussed this with another friend who bought new in jan 2009 and he said the same as me, so it certainly makes me wonder & there are plenty of red plated bikes getting around in bangers and they couldnt all be visiting the capital, could they?

I will endeavour to find out more, as this one keeps coming up on TV every couple of months. :D

No nothing suss about that, I just lost track of the thread, primose :D .

What I was referring to differs to what tony is saying, but as i have just clarified in that thread, I bought in Bangers in 2007 and I know what was happening then, Tony is talking about 2009, so maybe something changed.

I discussed this with another friend who bought new in jan 2009 and he said the same as me, so it certainly makes me wonder & there are plenty of red plated bikes getting around in bangers and they couldnt all be visiting the capital, could they?

I will endeavour to find out more, as this one keeps coming up on TV every couple of months. :D

Yeah it sure does. And the reality of what is happeneing probably changes just as often. I PMed Tony to see if his position has changed on this at all. It's a very curious thing these red plates. Everyone has a different story.

every motorbike and vehicel, should have a number plate by law be it red or white. i drive from chiang mai to bangkok with no number plate and no questions asked until i got to the city of bangkok. the reason for not having the red plate was they had run out of plates. i was reassured by a well known supplier not to worry, which ended in a fine.

When I bought my bike in Dec I was expecting a red plate from previous experience, however the dealer explained there are no red plates for bikes here (KK) now and I'd be waiting for 2-3 months for a normal registration and plates to come through however a 'special number' takes at least 3 months. I've been riding my bike since at all times of the day with no problems so far and I'm regularly seeing traffic police who don't bat an eyelid !

I was provided sales papers and advised by the dealer to carry these with the bike while I have no plates.

I also see many, what must be new bikes with no plates here in KK so presumably they are in the same situation ?

When I bought my bike in Dec I was expecting a red plate from previous experience, however the dealer explained there are no red plates for bikes here (KK) now and I'd be waiting for 2-3 months for a normal registration and plates to come through however a 'special number' takes at least 3 months. I've been riding my bike since at all times of the day with no problems so far and I'm regularly seeing traffic police who don't bat an eyelid !

I was provided sales papers and advised by the dealer to carry these with the bike while I have no plates.

I also see many, what must be new bikes with no plates here in KK so presumably they are in the same situation ?

Red plates.

Seems different provinces different solutions.

Here in Phuket every new bike comes with redplate, financed or not. But thai made bikes from other provinces ride without redplates without problems

Iv had the same experinece with cars purchased outside Phuket, all they require in Phuket is invoice, no red plate

Edited by katabeachbum

The Red Plates belong to the dealer (dealer plates) so if he knew you were taking the bike to Chonburi, how does he know he will ever get his red plate back.

Just a thought.

Most dealers require a deposit for redplate. My new pickup has redplates with book, and deposit is 2000 baht.

The Red Plates belong to the dealer (dealer plates) so if he knew you were taking the bike to Chonburi, how does he know he will ever get his red plate back.

Just a thought.

Well yes if we paid the bike in full we would have no obligation to send them back but we are paying every month on the bike, so we would be making payments monthly that is just another reason they should be more trusting if that is the case, because even so we will only be using the red plates 3 months after the white plates come we will still be making monthly payments.

say you was to buy a motorbike in phuket, and had the bike registered in phuket with a phuket number plate and then discide too take the bike to chiang mai, you will then have to register the bike in chiang mai with a cm number plate.

say you was to buy a motorbike in phuket, and had the bike registered in phuket with a phuket number plate and then discide too take the bike to chiang mai, you will then have to register the bike in chiang mai with a cm number plate.

Only if you change adress to CM, and only if you want CM plate.

If you want, the fee is less than 1000 baht for new plate and new number on frontpage of book. have to go to LTD twice, one to request, a week later to pick up.

Just a thought.

I bought my car in Bangkok, drove it to Phuket. I left a 2000 baht deposit for the redplates which i will get back when I get the whiteplates. That's how.

I bought 2 bikes in Krabi, paying cash for both and got red plates for both. Took about 6 months for the first one, Still riding for 2 months on the red plates.

I've bought 3 new bikes in the past 5 years, one big one in Bangkok, two scooters in Surin, no red plates given, no problems with the police, including a trip from BKK to Buri Ram to bring the biggie home, and then another trip back to pick up the white plate. I've never even seen a red plate on a bike in this part of the country.

MAKE SURE, that you carry all the purchase documents with the bike at all times and you CANNOT ride after dark (6pm) and prior to sunrise....ie: cannot be ridden during the hours of darkness.

That is the theory for cars too.

Imagine my surprise to see a car with Thai red plates near KL in Malaysia............................. :)

Quite a ridiculous system.

Unless you request special plates the Land Transport office should have a pile

waiting for new registrations, instead of waiting weeks/months.............. :D

MAKE SURE, that you carry all the purchase documents with the bike at all times and you CANNOT ride after dark (6pm) and prior to sunrise....ie: cannot be ridden during the hours of darkness.

That is the theory for cars too.

Imagine my surprise to see a car with Thai red plates near KL in Malaysia............................. :)

Quite a ridiculous system.

Unless you request special plates the Land Transport office should have a pile

waiting for new registrations, instead of waiting weeks/months.............. :D

LTO do have a pile waiting for registration. The dealer must pay the bike/car to supplier before recieving docs for registration. Then apply for registration which takes a couple of weeks. Some wait as long as the law allows, until 90 days.

Each province is different.. But the law is every vehicle on the road has to be plated.. But like all laws in Thailand some places dont follow them.

Red plates are dealer plates.. They belong to the dealer.. In Bangkok it seems they dont have or are unwilling to give, red plates for bikes.. And the police tolerate that.. A vehicle should have dealer plates until the dealer gets the correct white plate.

On Phuket to ride around you need a plate, not having one will make problems.

When I went through the Sadao border, there was no one checking cars or motorcycles in either direction. Doing the proper paperwork seems to be voluntary, so I can see this happening.