Former THAI Executive Fined 200,000 Baht For Excess Baggage

webfact

THAI execs fined for excess baggage

BANGKOK, Jan 15 (TNA) - An investigation team from Thai Airways International (THAI) investigation team concluded that around Bt200,000 (US$6,000) should be levied for the excess baggage of former THAI executive board chairman Wallop Bhukkanasut and anoth airline executive, Pruek Bupphakham.

The excess baggage fee will be levied at some US$20 per kilo for Mr Wallop and his three companions, as well as against Mr Pruek.

According to THAI Boards of Directors chairman Ampon Kitti-ampon the probe committee said the excess baggage in Mr Preuk’s case was not meant for commercial purposes but rather belonged to THAI’s catering service, for the goods carried by Mr Preuk were samples for THAI’s selection for further on-board services. The merchandise was four cases of soft drinks and three cases of fruit juices.

Mr Ampon gave assurances that the weight of cargo for the plane did not affect flight security as it could carry extra 10,479 tonnes of cargo.

However, the THAI board chairman said that in order to prevent such an incident from occurring in the future, the company’s administrative department was assigned to present clear regulations indicating the baggage allowance for VIP customers such as privy councillors and senior government officials, including THAI board members.

Mr Ampon insisted that strict baggage limits will not negatively affect other THAI customers regarding their baggage limits in each flight.

Mr Wallop, his wife and Mr Pruek were alleged to have avoided paying charges for carrying some 390kg of excess baggage on a flight from Tokyo to Bangkok last November.

The revelation came at an especially sensitive time as Thailand’s national airline is restructuring after a huge net loss of more than Bt20 billion in 2008, leading to Mr Wallop's resignation due tothe excess baggage scandal earlier this month. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-01-15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

This is simply wrong.

I have worked in aviation fields for many years.

Any load master will tell you that there is no way to recoup losses from passenger operations on cargo alone.

It starts with paid bonuses reductions then

Reduction of Force then

Reduction in Operating cost then

Fare increases then

Cargo/Luggage

Thai Airlines (Nat) is on a black list of overcharges on luggage

Spotlight 1 person was charged the equivalent of a first class round trip ticket BKK ~ NY for over weight and oversize and then on arrival in LA Cal. The luggage was reweighed and remeasured and found to be neither over the limits. Sorry says Thai Airlines no refund. :)

Edited by meelousee

It sounds to me as though they are being overcharged. :)

Excess baggage fees are normally calculated at 1% of the First Class fare

A quick check of the THAI site shows that the first class fare from Tokyo to Bangkok is 113,860 Yen

which is equivalent to $1244 at todays rate.

By my calculation they should be paying $4836 in excess fees, not $6000

It sounds to me as though they are being overcharged. :)

Excess baggage fees are normally calculated at 1% of the First Class fare

A quick check of the THAI site shows that the first class fare from Tokyo to Bangkok is 113,860 Yen

which is equivalent to $1244 at todays rate.

By my calculation they should be paying $4836 in excess fees, not $6000

Exactly and well calculated.I suggest you send a message to Khun Piyavasti suggesting a lesser fine.After all it's not as though Wallop has been ripping the company off in the greedy Thai puyai style for many years.That is a most unlikely scenario.

This all sounds very odd to me.

If the excess-weight was indeed samples for TG's catering-management to review, then why would there be any excess-baggage-charge, which would only be levied on personal items ? And would 4 cases of soft drinks, plus 3 cases of fruit-juice, really have weighed 380 kgs ? :) Doubtful.

The report probably isn't accurate because the penalty may also include a surcharge for the switch from C class to full fare F class. I believe a more reasonable explanation will come in the next quarterly statement. In any case, it doesn't matter as the intent was to address a serious breach of position and to allow the company's president to send a strong message to all employees that he's in charge now and that he won't tolerate executives screwing around.

It's a start and I think it's a first for the company. I am one of TG's detractors, but I want to believe that the current company president wants to make a positive difference. Even the head of Bangkok Airways seems to have a measure of respect for him, otherwise he wouldnt have personally handed over flowers celebrating the TG president's appointment. Let's all hope for TG's sake that this is a sign of changes to come.

THAI execs fined for excess baggage

Mr Ampon gave assurances that the weight of cargo for the plane did not affect flight security as it could carry extra 10,479 tonnes of cargo.

Wow some puppy to fly....sure he wasn't on a container ship?

That beats even the carry load of the Antonov 225!.... :):D:D

This all sounds very odd to me.

If the excess-weight was indeed samples for TG's catering-management to review, then why would there be any excess-baggage-charge, which would only be levied on personal items ? And would 4 cases of soft drinks, plus 3 cases of fruit-juice, really have weighed 380 kgs ? :) Doubtful.

Totally agree.

More like some shopping for the Mrs...

But what add's up to 380kg? That's about 10 large suitcases....A hel_l of a lot of dresses and handbags! :D

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are approaching a new summit in transparency in government in Thailand.

I cannot remember an event like this in a long time of being in this country. Congratulations.

However, one thing. I would dearly love to know why a member of the Privy Council/Parliamentarian is more important than a paying customer and entitled to greater luggage?

Wonder what the statue of limitations is on non payment of excess luggage weight/pieces? I seem to remember several dozen going on board for a flight out of Bangkok with past PM and or spouse. This may be a good project for all the Thai personal who are reported to be non contributing work wise. The number who have abused this over the past few years is probably staggering, although the monies compared to airline losses would be minute.