Petrol Stations

Loz

On the way home I stopped for fuel and asked for 1000bht B5. Nothing new there. But the assistant (who had been smirking with her colleagues as the "Farang" drew in) then asked me if I was paying cash or credit card.

Has anyone else ever been asked this?

In nearly 4 years of buying fuel in the Kingdom, I have NEVER been asked this before. I have always paid cash. Being attendant service you'd have to trust them with your card for a few minutes while they wandered off to swipe it or whatever. I had never even thought of using anything but cash.

So is this a new thing that they are pushing?

or was she just being sure I was aware of every option?

or was she just p*ssing about in the hope I'd be confused and irritated?

:D

Maybe I am too cynical but I couldn't help but add the mischievous smirk to the new question and come up with, "something rotten in the state of Denmark". :)

I have been asked only once.  And when I told them I was paying by card, I was informed that their credit card machine was down.

I have used this particular gas station many times before and since, and as I have never been asked at any other time, I have to infer that they were just being honest and didn't want to fill up my car only to find out I had only 100 baht in my wallet.

Being attendant service you'd have to trust them with your card for a few minutes while they wandered off to swipe it or whatever.

ofcouse you NEVER give them your credit card, guess creditcard companies also do not allow this.

you cannot check whether the cardreader has been skimmed etc. very risky !

and why should you, the paybooth is always near and the cardreader should be placed on a place where you can reach it easily.

about the boy or girl who asked you, guess he/she just wanted te please you by offering this as an 'extra service' for you.

:)

Oh, I always park where I can see the meter. Read about that one before I even landed in the Kingdom.

I had a guy try to put more than I asked for in recently. cut a long story short: I agreed they should call the police cos I was only paying for what I asked for. I returned a week later with the unpaid for (121bht) deisel in a bottle for them. I didn't charge for the bottle or delivery. :)

the old, "you pay, I don't have money" wears a little thin when you've been here a while. Personally I hope they took the 121 from his wages. And up to them if they gave it back when they got their fuel back... :/

I think Bonobo has given the most probable reason for this situation.

The Credit Card machines do break down and I would imagine the Attendant just wanted to know if you were paying Cash or using a Credit Card before they filled your tank; it would be a major hassle (for them) if they put Baht 1,000.- of Product in your car then found out you could not pay for it - or rather, that they could not process or accept your preferred method of payment.

Patrick

the reason could be is that people fill tanks, and then drive off w/o paying, cause 'they dont have a credit card' and 'dont have the cash' and then the attendants have to pay out of their own pockets. at least, that is what happens here...

bina

israel

You're way to paranoid ..... as are some of the other posters, anyone who would wonder if someone was trying to irritate them with that question is waaaaayyyyyy to paranoid. I would suggest mental health counseling for you. Are you off your normal meds?