Tom Jones In Concert In Bangkok

webfact

Me bad. I thought he was dead. :)

Why would any males be interested in his show? Isn't he the darling of the matronly blue rinse set?

Maybe he'll do some promos in Pattaya for mobility scooters, that panic alarm - you know the one where the old lady in the ad cries out, I've fallen and can't get up, or maybe the clapper- no not an infamous bargirl, but that gizmo where the old folks in bed clap their hands and the lights turn off. Oh well, have fun and remember to wear your Depends and bring a paper with your name, address and loved one contact info in the event that you get into the gin and take a wrong turn and end up on soi cowboy.

True to form, the same lot of cynics who howl about Thai politics and everything else in this country, are at it again.

Sometimes I wonder why some of you even bother to live here ?

Actually, I should just leave it : Sometimes I wonder why some of you even bother to live....???

Edited by RegularReader

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess he's younger than Tina Turner. Would we go to see a surviving 75-year-old, 300-pound Elvis?

Ray Price sounds better now than he did at 45 and he's 75 or so, and only around 180lbs I think.

Age is not the demarcation for a great singer, most jazz singers aren't considered decent

till they've been seasoned for 40 odd years as a KNOWN NAME.

Some of the best are aged 60-75 these days.

I guess he's younger than Tina Turner. Would we go to see a surviving 75-year-old, 300-pound Elvis?

Shame on you PeaceBlondie! Elvis has sold more records and broken more records than any body else (alive or dead) - I would pay to see Elvis whatever his weight condition at any age and so would half of humanity (and the other half couldn't get a ticket!)

Shame on you PeaceBlondie! Elvis has sold more records and broken more records than any body else (alive or dead) - I would pay to see Elvis whatever his weight condition at any age and so would half of humanity (and the other half couldn't get a ticket!)

#1 Elvis

#2 The Beatles

#3 Michael Jackson

The great majority of humanity wouldn't have a clue who Elvis is, and you'd be lucky to get half of those who do know to go to a concert by him. You can have my ticket if you want.

#1 Elvis

#2 The Beatles

#3 Michael Jackson

Id place tallent on Elvis and MJ and then beatles. the beatles were a team and they could rely on each other

#1 Elvis

#2 The Beatles

#3 Michael Jackson

Id place tallent on Elvis and MJ and then beatles. the beatles were a team and they could rely on each other

That ranking reflects sold records worldwide

The great majority of humanity wouldn't have a clue who Elvis is, and you'd be lucky to get half of those who do know to go to a concert by him. You can have my ticket if you want.

You are joking na? Elvis is one of the biggest brands on earth - how many artists are known by their first names? here in Chiang Mai we have 3 Elvis bars (for instance) and I have extensively travelled the world and marvelled at how widespread his music and image is - what a troll

You are joking na? Elvis is one of the biggest brands on earth - how many artists are known by their first names? here in Chiang Mai we have 3 Elvis bars (for instance) and I have extensively travelled the world and marvelled at how widespread his music and image is

Well, if it soothes your mind to believe half of humanity would be lining up to an Elvis concert, while the other half would be clamouring for a ticket, then go ahead and believe. It is rather western-centric though, or do you consider the billions who have never heard of him as not being part of humanity? To give this some semblence of being on topic, I heard that Elvis was a big fan of Tom Jones, and may have even got his trademark hip movement off of him. Or was it Forest Gump?

- what a troll

Still haven't learnt to separate between a poster and their opinion eh? Disagreeing with a post is not the same as attacking who wrote it, a point that continually escapes you.

You are joking na? Elvis is one of the biggest brands on earth - how many artists are known by their first names? here in Chiang Mai we have 3 Elvis bars (for instance) and I have extensively travelled the world and marvelled at how widespread his music and image is

Well, if it soothes your mind to believe half of humanity would be lining up to an Elvis concert, while the other half would be clamouring for a ticket, then go ahead and believe. It is rather western-centric though, or do you consider the billions who have never heard of him as not being part of humanity? To give this some semblence of being on topic, I heard that Elvis was a big fan of Tom Jones, and may have even got his trademark hip movement off of him. Or was it Forest Gump?

- what a troll

Still haven't learnt to separate between a poster and their opinion eh? Disagreeing with a post is not the same as attacking who wrote it, a point that continually escapes you.

haha - carrying over some angst from another thread eh? Tom knew Elvis slightly but Elvis was gyrating since the Tupelo concerts in 1956 so I think it's clear who copied who - I like Tom (and have my ticket) but I think you don't understand how big Elvis is compared.

The word 'Elvis' is recognised worldwide - like 'Coka Cola' etc. even if you don't like him everyone knows that - and as for 'attacking people' maybe you (forest gump quote?) should stop attacking dead people or peoples love of their music? you do not practice what you preach...

- what a troll

haha - carrying over some angst from another thread eh? Tom knew Elvis slightly but Elvis was gyrating since the Tupelo concerts in 1956 so I think it's clear who copied who - I like Tom (and have my ticket) but I think you don't understand how big Elvis is compared.

The word 'Elvis' is recognised worldwide - like 'Coka Cola' etc. even if you don't like him everyone knows that - and as for 'attacking people' maybe you (forest gump quote?) should stop attacking dead people or peoples love of their music? you do not practice what you preach...

What's up Pussycat?

Also some facts:

Graceland has 700,000 visitiors every year - 2nd only to the Whitehouse

30,000 of us went to Impact Stadium 3 years ago to hear his band (naturally Elvis wasn't there)

As I mentioned Chiang Mai has 3 Elvis restaraunts - don't see any Tom or Beatles or Stones restaraunts here!

Elvis had 33 number one hits - more than the Beatles etc.

Elvis is a worldwide brand - and it won't change...

A Little Less Conversation from you would be useful as you are unware of the facts - ChiangMaiFun has left the Building...

ok guys, lets get back to the topic which is about Tom Jones

thx

Why, why, why Delilah?

ok... apologies... but... it's Not Unusual...

Anyway have my ticket for Tom and will really enjoy it - not many like him left (apart from Engleburt)... will enjoy heading down to the Grey, Grey, Grass of BKK again

What's up Pussycat?

Also some facts:

30,000 of us went to Impact Stadium 3 years ago to hear his band (naturally Elvis wasn't there)

As I mentioned Chiang Mai has 3 Elvis restaraunts - don't see any Tom or Beatles or Stones restaraunts here!

A Little Less Conversation from you would be useful as you are unware of the facts - ChiangMaiFun has left the Building...

I don't really want to carry on this off topic conversation, but I do feel some points need to be clarified:

1. My posts on this thread have nothing to do with what is written on any other. If I had agreed with what you wrote I would have said so. I happen to disagree with what you wrote, and it's got nothing to do with the fact that it was you who wrote it. Once again, disagreeing with a post is not a personal attack on the poster.

2. I still say the majority of Africa, Asia and South America wouldn't know who Elvis is, and many of the younger generation in the rest of the world wouldn't really care.

3. The Forest Gump reference was from the movie of the same name. It has a scene in which Elvis is closely watching a gyrating Forest, and is meant to give the impression that this is where Elvis got his movement from.

4. What facts am I unaware of? The only point I was rebutting in your OP is that the entire world would want to see an Elvis concert. I disagree. End of. I have no agenda in this. I made no attack on your obvious love for him, I made no attack on him. I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

5. It's actually "What's new pussycat?"

From what I've seen, read and heard, Tom knew Elvis more than just slightly. I saw an interview where Tom said Elvis once came in and sang to him while he was in the shower. I do agree with you that Elvis had huge talent, and was a major influence on modern music, but, as someone who was still a child when he died, I have no special feeling for him. I like some of his music, but that's about it. No disrespect, just how I feel. I also like some of Tom Jones's stuff, but wouldn't go out of my way to see him in concert. Again, no disrespect, just my opinion.

What's up Pussycat?

Also some facts:

I don't really want to carry on this off topic conversation, but I do feel some points need to be clarified:

1. My posts on this thread have nothing to do with what is written on any other. If I had agreed with what you wrote I would have said so. I happen to disagree with what you wrote, and it's got nothing to do with the fact that it was you who wrote it. Once again, disagreeing with a post is not a personal attack on the poster.

2. I still say the majority of Africa, Asia and South America wouldn't know who Elvis is, and many of the younger generation in the rest of the world wouldn't really care.

3. The Forest Gump reference was from the movie of the same name. It has a scene in which Elvis is closely watching a gyrating Forest, and is meant to give the impression that this is where Elvis got his movement from.

4. What facts am I unaware of? The only point I was rebutting in your OP is that the entire world would want to see an Elvis concert. I disagree. End of. I have no agenda in this. I made no attack on your obvious love for him, I made no attack on him. I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

5. It's actually "What's new pussycat?"

From what I've seen, read and heard, Tom knew Elvis more than just slightly. I saw an interview where Tom said Elvis once came in and sang to him while he was in the shower. I do agree with you that Elvis had huge talent, and was a major influence on modern music, but, as someone who was still a child when he died, I have no special feeling for him. I like some of his music, but that's about it. No disrespect, just how I feel. I also like some of Tom Jones's stuff, but wouldn't go out of my way to see him in concert. Again, no disrespect, just my opinion.

ok now let's move on (in gyrating style of course)... I shall resist replying (for once) :)

I sort of felt bad after I took a few easy shots at the darling of the spinster and matron set, but then I saw the comment;

[True to form, the same lot of cynics who howl about Thai politics and everything else in this country, are at it again.

Actually, I should just leave it : Sometimes I wonder why some of you even bother to live....???

Seems I upset someone, so I'm going to explain why I have no use for Mr. Jones. Don't take it personally.

- I believe that he has an IQ on par with a parsnip.

- I don't think he has ever really been as active with charitable works as some of the entertainers of his era. I bet the 92 year old Vera Lynn did more work in the past year than he did in a decade.

- Based on his life, I think the man is an uncouth boor. If you want classy, there is Tony Bennett.

- Of the man's living peers that sing his style of music, and I use the term "peers" loosely, I don't think he comes up to the abilities of Johnny Mathis, Engelbert Humperdink, and the husband & wife team of Eydie Gorme & Steve Lawrence. He's not even in the same league as the 2 -68 year old powerhouses of Paul Anka and Neil Diamond that set the standard of quality today. I'm sorry but when I see silly stuff written that Mr. Jones is creative and reinvents himself, I want to blow chunks. Anka & Diamond are both accomplished lyricists and were cutting edge in their day. Even if you gave Mr. Jones a ladder and a hoist, he couldn't come close to the bar set by Anka or Diamond. Cripes, even Barry Manilow has more depth and has written some brilliant product jingles.

- I recall watching reruns of the Tom Jones show from the 1970's. He was so hokey and what he had to offer were bimbo lady dancers. The man had to read the old version of a teleprompter because he just didn't have the ability to put out a real personality in the same way a Sammy Davis jr and his buddies could. Tom Jones is the Lada of lounge singers.

Is this really the best they can do to attract talent? Surely, the promoters can do better than this. My comments have nothing to do with politics or even Thailand. I just find Tom Jones to be dimwit. Listen to an interview with him. He might as well post a for rent sign on his head because he seems to have a lot of vacant space there.

On the other hand, I have to respect that the musical tastes of some people are going to gravitate towards the bland and the inane. For some people, Mr. Jones provides a wonderful show where they get to hear him make the same jokes he made 30 years ago and to sing the same songs he did from back then. If the event brings you comfort, go forth and enjoy yourself as it is not my place to say who should play a show. Have a wonderful time and be sure to be careful lest some excited 75 year old lady filled with lust knocks you down as she rushes the stage to throw her bra.

I sort of felt bad after I took a few easy shots at the darling of the spinster and matron set, but then I saw the comment;
[True to form, the same lot of cynics who howl about Thai politics and everything else in this country, are at it again.

Seems I upset someone, so I'm going to explain why I have no use for Mr. Jones. Don't take it personally.

- I don't think he has ever really been as active with charitable works as some of the entertainers of his era. I bet the 92 year old Vera Lynn did more work in the past year than he did in a decade.

- Based on his life, I think the man is an uncouth boor. If you want classy, there is Tony Bennett.

- Of the man's living peers that sing his style of music, and I use the term "peers" loosely, I don't think he comes up to the abilities of Johnny Mathis, Engelbert Humperdink, and the husband & wife team of Eydie Gorme & Steve Lawrence. He's not even in the same league as the 2 -68 year old powerhouses of Paul Anka and Neil Diamond that set the standard of quality today. I'm sorry but when I see silly stuff written that Mr. Jones is creative and reinvents himself, I want to blow chunks. Anka & Diamond are both accomplished lyricists and were cutting edge in their day. Even if you gave Mr. Jones a ladder and a hoist, he couldn't come close to the bar set by Anka or Diamond. Cripes, even Barry Manilow has more depth and has written some brilliant product jingles.

- I recall watching reruns of the Tom Jones show from the 1970's. He was so hokey and what he had to offer were bimbo lady dancers. The man had to read the old version of a teleprompter because he just didn't have the ability to put out a real personality in the same way a Sammy Davis jr and his buddies could. Tom Jones is the Lada of lounge singers.

Is this really the best they can do to attract talent? Surely, the promoters can do better than this. My comments have nothing to do with politics or even Thailand. I just find Tom Jones to be dimwit. Listen to an interview with him. He might as well post a for rent sign on his head because he seems to have a lot of vacant space there.

On the other hand, I have to respect that the musical tastes of some people are going to gravitate towards the bland and the inane. For some people, Mr. Jones provides a wonderful show where they get to hear him make the same jokes he made 30 years ago and to sing the same songs he did from back then. If the event brings you comfort, go forth and enjoy yourself as it is not my place to say who should play a show. Have a wonderful time and be sure to be careful lest some excited 75 year old lady filled with lust knocks you down as she rushes the stage to throw her bra.

You seem to have put a lot of effort into your writing, just to tell us you don't like Tom Jones.

With all respect he must be a very, very rich dimwit indeed then... love Anka and Diamond - but... there is only one King :) there I go again... dam_n it will I ever learn? (no one answer that please)

A man went to his doctor and said, "Help me, Doctor. Whenever I see a patch of grass, I start singing "The Green Green Grass of Home." If I see a cat, I start singing, "What's New Pussy Cat." When I see a girl walking at night, I start singing, "Daughter of Darkness."

"Ah,' said the doctor. "Sounds as if you have the Tom Jones Syndrome."

"I've never heard of that. Is it common?" asked the man.

The doctor nodded and said, "It's not unusual."

A man went to his doctor and said, "Help me, Doctor. Whenever I see a patch of grass, I start singing "The Green Green Grass of Home." If I see a cat, I start singing, "What's New Pussy Cat." When I see a girl walking at night, I start singing, "Daughter of Darkness."

"Ah,' said the doctor. "Sounds as if you have the Tom Jones Syndrome."

"I've never heard of that. Is it common?" asked the man.

The doctor nodded and said, "It's not unusual."

Great :):D:D !

what is it with people

some manage to turn the most entertaining/relaxing topic into one of contention filled with arguments.

please stop. further warnings will not be public, but directed specific at those that decide to continue to derail the topic.

cheers.

enjoy the music, enjoy the discussions. or move to the next thread.

TJ and (the gone but not forgotten) Elvis are both legendary rock'n'rollers. If I was going to be in the vicinity I'd probably go to the concert.

Don't know if it's still going, as I haven't been in Bangkok for a couple of years, but I used to enjoy going to Radio City in Patpong sometimes for the Thai Elvis followed by the Thai Tom Jones! :) They were pretty good, too! Slick backing band. Made for a fun evening.