The Extension Of The 5 Precepts For Devout Burmese Laypersons

camerata

I just came across this in A Discourse on the Sallekha Sutta:

This refinement of the five precepts for lay people is popular among devout Burmese Buddhists: From today throughout my life I will abstain from: 1) killing 2) stealing, 3) sexual misconduct, and from the five kinds of intoxicants, 4) false speech, 5) divisive speech, 6) abusive and rude words regarding the caste, race, etc., of any person, 7) idle chatter, which is not conducive to the well-being of others either in the present life or in the next, 8) wrong livelihood. The five kinds of wrong livelihood for Buddhists are: trading in i) weapons, ii) living beings, iii) meat and fish, iv) intoxicants, and v) poisons.

For those who don't delve into the scriptures much, the inclusion of Right Speech and Right Livelihood provides an easy-to-understand description of what we are supposed to be doing.

Quote: The five kinds of wrong livelihood for Buddhists are: trading in i) weapons, ii) living beings, iii) meat and fish, iv) intoxicants, and v) poisons.

Does this include herbicides?

I would say not.... since plants are not sentient beings.....

I notice the bit about talking down to people of lower caste..... since Burma borders with India they might meet the caste system more intimately than we do here in thailand

I guess you could call this a refinement of the five precepts; but it is more of just the way the precepts tend to be taught in Burma.

The title of your post is perhaps a bit misleading i.e. "...the 8 Precepts for Burmese Laypersons." The 8 precepts (sometimes undertaken on uposatha days, and always by lay yogis in meditation centres) include total sexual abstinence, refraining from eating after mid-day, no perfume, jewelry, singing and dancing etc.. Just like in Thailand.

Edited by mohinga

I guess you could call this a refinement of the five precepts; but it is more of just the way the precepts tend to be taught in Burma.

The title of your post is perhaps a bit misleading i.e. "...the 8 Precepts for Burmese Laypersons."

OK, I've changed the title so there is no confusion.

I'd agree with Fred here - probably not. There were certain rules gives to monks about not destroying plants, but these seem to have arisen from criticism from lay people (eg. when a monk chopped down trees) and a need to not appear less devout than the Jains. But I don't recall such advice given to the laity.

Quote: The five kinds of wrong livelihood for Buddhists are: trading in i) weapons, ii) living beings, iii) meat and fish, iv) intoxicants, and v) poisons.

I would say not.... since plants are not sentient beings.....

I notice the bit about talking down to people of lower caste..... since Burma borders with India they might meet the caste system more intimately than we do here in thailand

my guess here talking about poisons, is the kind used for control of mice, rats, etc. and yes, this would be a no-no.

Isn't this list a little simplistic.

It appears to miss many types of livelihood which might be wrong.

One that comes to mind is being in the military.

There be many more.

Edited by rockyysdt

The list would be infinite if it had to be all-inclusive. In general, any livelihood which entails breaking the precepts or encouraging/facilitating others to do so is Wrong Livelihood. So IMO a profession such as marketing could be Wrong Livelihood if one has to tell lies and make consumers feel inadequate if they don't buy your product.

The list would be infinite if it had to be all-inclusive. In general, any livelihood which entails breaking the precepts or encouraging/facilitating others to do so is Wrong Livelihood. So IMO a profession such as marketing could be Wrong Livelihood if one has to tell lies and make consumers feel inadequate if they don't buy your product.

Also, I suppose military is covered by "not killing".

And as you indicate encouraging or teaching others to do so.

There do appear to be a lot of grey areas though.

For example you mentioned marketing.

1. Marketing company produces an advertisement which entails breaking precepts.

2. Commercial Television Station sells advertising time to derive income.

Then working for or managing the Commercial Television Station might be wrongful employment.

Also, I suppose military is covered by "not killing".

Yes, but I doubt the Buddha ever spelled this out. Remember that he had to introduce an ordination rule that one be free from liability for military service (so as not to get the Sangha on the wrong side of the authorities).

There do appear to be a lot of grey areas though.

For example you mentioned marketing.

1. Marketing company produces an advertisement which entails breaking precepts.

2. Commercial Television Station sells advertising time to derive income.

Then working for or managing the Commercial Television Station might be wrongful employment.

Fortunately, we are free to make up our own minds based on our understanding of the Dhamma. After all, one could work for a marketing company and do one's best to ensure the advertising was not dishonest.