Want To Buy A Bike... Now What?

czGLoRy

I have been in Thailand for a while and just rented motorbikes, but I realize this is more expensive in the long run. I currently live in Chiang Mai and am here for at least a year, so I want to BUY a bike! I don't know hardly anything about bikes.. I can drive one, and I like how I can pass cars when needed ! :)

I just need a bike that I can use long term, that is practical, safe as possible, and good quality to use for every-day life. I am thinking of buying something like a click, but if there is something I don't know about a step or two above a click I would prefer that. I am a tall, heavy person often carrying someone with me fwiw. Budget is around 70,000 baht. Any recommendations?

Thanks very much!

An Airblade is a step above a Click, and a bit bigger.

Buying is easy. A dealer can help you, and register the bike for you. If you buy from a private person, you might want to find a good fixer guy to handle the paperwork. It's not really necessary but just so much easier. You will need to establish your residency by taking your house rental contract to immigration and see if they will give you a document stating you live where you live. There are other ways of establishing this, but that is the most common.

Good luck.

If you want to step up from a scooter, wanting more comfort on long rides and more power, have you considered the Tiger 250?

For your budget you could find a good condition, near new, Honda CBR150 or Phantom depending on your riding preferences.

Cheers

I would recommend a Yamaha Nouvo, it's heavier and stronger than a Click (just compare the size of the tyres on both models).

If you want auto, there are basicly 3 options new bikes for large guys with passanger

yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135 cc at 57k with magwheels/tubeless tyres

Suzuki Hayate 125 cc would be less expensive

Honda PCXI 125 cc injection at 70k. This is the latest state of the art tech, but if you are a big guy, you may find the seatingposition and legroom better on the yamaha Elegance

When you have decided on model, the dealer tells you how to proceed with documents. If you bring a girlfirend to the dealer they may try to convince you to purchase/register in her name, but its simple docs needed to have it in your own name.

Sorry forgot to mention I am not particular to an automatic. I have never driven a manual bike but I owned manual car for a few years if it's at all the same. My roommate just ordered a Honda cbr for about 65000 and I may be interested in the same bike. The more horizontal riding position is something new as is the manual transmission so I am a bit hesitant but not opposed to the option

Take a look at a Honda Phantom at a Honda Dealer. Half year ago, the price in BKK was 66.000 Bt. with a few gifts. It's comfortable and easy to ride. See offers for some second-Hand Bikes that offer for 60.000 Bt. older than one year... :)

CM is bikers' heaven. Go and rent a few bikes, tour the golden triangle, check out GT Riders forum for photo reports and trip suggestions.

My father went and bought a bike once - but the ergonomics were bad. So you really need to opt for a bike you are comfortable on for a few hours. Like a tall 250 cc or something.

You want new, or used? How tall are you? Some like the Tiger Boxer 250 RS which is new THB 72,000 I think. The famous Honda CBR 150 would be too small for you, right?

A scooter is very different from a real motorcycle. How would you use yours? for long trips or daily commuting?

Many a used bike is screwed up by bad mechanics. So be careful buying used. But i saw an ad for a Honda XR 250 on gT Rider and the seller is a good guy. That might be something you are looking for?

Chris

I would prefer to buy new, I am 100 kilos and 6'2 (dont know the metric equivalent sorry :) 21 yo, so I don't have any knee problems or anything. I would use it for daily commuting, don't know if I would take any long trips but its possible I might. Obviously a good looking bike would be nice, but its not a priority.

The daily commute would be about 15 minutes along a high way both ways, and then a lot of driving throughout the city

So far the CBR is still in the race, but I will have to check out if it is in fact too small. My GF said it probably would be.

CBR, Honda PC 125 and possibly tiger in that order are what I am deciding between ATM. Will check out honda XR 250

Phantoms don't really appeal to me, I cant say why.

Edited by czGLoRy

I got a Yamaha Nouvo 'Elegance', here in Bkk, and gonna reach 10 000 km with it this WE. I loved every single km done woth it ! Just an amazing little bike, that's got enough power to give you goose bumps if it's what you like . . . :)

Bought it at 3 500 km for B45 000. With your budget you can get a brand new one. You may even get a bigger 2nd hand bike if you'd prefer that.

I put mine in my wife's name, but I think you can have it in your own name. Check other threads about this (plenty info already here)

Enjoy ! :D

Edited by sunsamourai

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying the Honda PCX 125 after looking into the recomendation here, and doing some research and test driving it. I wanted the Honda CBR-150 a little bit more, but I tried looking all around town for a place to rent or test-drive one and never found anywhere. (Always had to order it and wait for two weeks or so). I might get a second motorbike, which might be a honda CBR, a second PCX, or something like the ninja .. possibly the Phantom whcih was looking better as I looked into it more. I appreciate all of the recomendations, I did look into every bike. I am loving the PCX, even though it is still a motorbike scooter, it just crushes the Click in terms of .. well everything pretty much. Much higher quality, rides very well, feels stable and safe, has a theft protection alarm, bigger, better fitting, more comfortable bike, bigger trunk, bigger tires, bigger gas tank, better milage. Worth the extra 20k more imho. Might have to get a second bike, will report back if I do! :)