Medical Tests In Thailand

yoga100

Dont wanna sound patronising here but how confident can i be that any medical tests or treatment i have done in thailand will be reliable in comparison with something similar done in western europe???

I plan to have a blood test done here in bangkok next week so can anyone out there ease my mind on thai medical expertise

Edited by yoga100

I think the first question is -- where r u having them done?

I just had the most complete physical you can get at Bumrungrad, and I was quite impressed. First, they were very thorough and found two things...one of which they would not be expected to find (it's a long-term somewhat hidden condition that is USUALLY not looked for and not discovered...I already knew about it); the other...well, I was surprised they found it, again, long-term and in other physicals it has not been noted as often as it has been noted...in the States.

A doctor sat down with me after the physical and discussed the results with me. He pointed out areas of any concern, and although -- other than losing weight!! -- there were few red flags, discussed with me anything that was not in the normal range.

Then I was emailed a complete report -- color coded -- and went through all the numbers and compared them with normal ranges that you should be able (in most cases) to find on the internet.

That's my experience at Bumrungrad. It may come down to where you are having the work done and how unusual what you're looking for is.

I just had the most complete physical you can get at Bumrungrad, and I was quite impressed. First, they were very thorough and found two things...one of which they would not be expected to find (it's a long-term somewhat hidden condition that is USUALLY not looked for and not discovered...I already knew about it); the other...well, I was surprised they found it, again, long-term and in other physicals it has not been noted as often as it has been noted...in the States.

A doctor sat down with me after the physical and discussed the results with me. He pointed out areas of any concern, and although -- other than losing weight!! -- there were few red flags, discussed with me anything that was not in the normal range.

Then I was emailed a complete report -- color coded -- and went through all the numbers and compared them with normal ranges that you should be able (in most cases) to find on the internet.

That's my experience at Bumrungrad. It may come down to where you are having the work done and how unusual what you're looking for is.

That sounds pretty reassuring...cheers :)

I also did the full checkup at Bumrungrad. I was very, very impressed. I spent 3 years with my father in pretty much every hospital in Vegas, at one time or another. So I know medical facilities pretty well by now! It was extremely organized and very through. They found a problem. Did some extra tests. And gave me a DVD with all the information on it...as well as a written report. For the money, it was incredible. The facilities and equipment are really first class. The nurses are great and really look out after you.

It was nice having my wife there as the Thai heart doc spoke English, but not prefect. So, some translations were required...but no big deal.

I remember being in hospitals with my dad where they would put him on a gurney and leave him in a hallway for hours. He was really sick and that was no fun sitting next to him while others were being wheeled by. A few of the hospitals had pretty good facilities, but they were really new. The others were totally run down. Nurses were cranky, and docs were usually hard to find. We would wait hours for a doc to come by and look at my dad. He had full insurance coverage and that didn't even help. Everything 100% paid for...

As for cost, I remember his pacemaker was about $150k USD. Crazy.

In terms of diagnostic procedures, the quality of lab work, imaging etc at any reputable hospital is fine.

The bigger question is the skill with which the results will be interpreted with reference to a particular patient's medical hisotry and presenting symptoms and that in turn resolves to the skill of the individual physicianm, which varies enormously all across the spectrum.

If it is a routine test and all you need is to know what the results are, or whether the results were in the normal range, any reputable hospital -- which is to say any government hospital from provincial level upward (skip district klevel hospitals) and any of the larger private hiospitals -- will do fine.

If you need a doctor to interpret test results and/or diagnose a condition or advise on management of a known problem, then should take the time to do some research and select a doctor with appropriate experience and qualification.

You will find many specific doctor recommendations on this forum, or can check out credentials on hospital websites. Doctors with some training in a western country will be sure to speak English well and will usually be above average in competency. Whihc is not to say that Thai doctors ho haven't trained abroad won't also often be very good, but it is a useful screening criteria.

This sounds most interesting. Could you please inform me as to what to ask for to enable me to undergo the same tests and an indication of the costs involved. Thank you.

This sounds most interesting. Could you please inform me as to what to ask for to enable me to undergo the same tests and an indication of the costs involved. Thank you.

A few days ago in bangkok i was informed a "psa free" and "total" blood test cost 1,700 baht

You can find all the info on the Bumrungrad website. They have one page comparing the various checkups, including price.

• 2 weeks later...