Finding A Rental House In Chaing Mai

BB1955

i have a house for rent coming up this year. almost 1 rai of land. nice big single storey house and a lot extras. only 20 minutes from town center and would rent out cheap.

Can it be found on the web ; if so can you give us a clue how to find it?

To give the OP a clue on the variety of prices out there he should look at Citylife and in the housing section of their classifieds... Even in the city can be quite cheap ...

Shop around and don't use an agent if you can avoid it. They will by the larcenous nature of commissioned sales .. direct you where THEY want you to live :)

Get into town .. stay at a decent hotel for a day or two and get a good look around, preferrably with a friend that reads and speaks Thai.

To be honest, using an agent is likely to be the last resort. Depending on timing, the best option is to rent a hotel or apartment while you look. Ask friends, and drive around the area you are interested in - there's usually signs up outside houses for rent and you can talk to the owner directly (help of course to have someone who speaks Thai with you). Agents will just add to your costs. Even just asking locals if they know someone with a house to rent will generally produce results.

If you know people here that can be helpful, great. Otherwise if you are like me and hitting the ground looking for a suitable rental I would suggest an agent. I spent two solid days on bicycle riding around moo baans with little success. I saw a few signs but most homes that are currently or coming vacant are only known by agents and their friends and colleagues. I spent all day yesterday with an agent looking at houses none with for rent signs. It would be impossible to cover a lot of area on your own and get a true idea of what really is available. I am under the impression that most agents charge their fee to the landlord and most rents are negotiable. Try Fon 087 064 5534 , she took me out to see one property today and was very helpful and spoke excellent English. Yesterday I went out with Aon, a rep from s-propertythailand and she knew of lots for rent. Helpful and no pressure to make a decision. Use google translate for their website. another decent site is chiangmaihouse. homeschiangmai has lots of listings but no one has responded to my emails. Have to use google translate to make some sense of the listings. Good luck