Avoiding Dengue Fever

Hi, I have a few questions regarding Dengue fever that maybe someone can help me with. I was in Malayisa last year and I was ill with what doctors claimed was dengue fever. After I got better and came home I developed Malaria and doctors questioned whether my initial dengue diagnosis was wrong and I had Malaria all along. This is possible but I really don't know. I understand that the second time you get dengue it can be incredibly painful, therefore I'm pretty keen on avoiding it, since I have probably had it once already! however I'm also pretty keen to spend a lot of time in Thailand in the future. What I'd like to know is

1) Is it possible to test to see if you've had dengue?

2) I've read very different reports on which areas are safe, are there any safe areas?

3) How bad would it be if I got it again?

4) How high is the chance of getting it and what are the safest times of year to be in Thailand?

Edited by systemshock

A couple of years ago I became really ill in Indonesia. I spent a night in the BIMC in Bali, and they decided to medi-vac me out to Australia because they thought I may need a blood transfusion. My platelet count dropped down to about 39.

Whilst in the clinic in Bali, they tested my blood every 4 hours, when I was in and out of fever. No diagnosis.

I spent a few days in Royal Perth Hospital and again was tested often for both malaria and dengue fever with no result.

After that, I went home to Melbourne and spent about 5-6 weeks recuperating. I was still not well. During that time I went to see an infectious diseases guy who told me that I probably had malaria.

He tested me for dengue and told that I did not have it, and have never had it (so, there is a test you can do for this). I am not sure what the test is, but it is readily available.

I have spoken to many people and they tell me that the first time you have malaria, it is not always picked up in blood tests.

After returning to Thailand from Australia, I was back here for only 6 weeks before I went down again with the same symptoms. I was quickly diagnosed with malaria vivax. I have had it two times since then, too. It sucks.

So, if you count the first undiagnosed times, I have had full blown malaria 3 times, and been admitted with spleenomegaly (an enlarged spleen) once. The spleenomegaly is related to malaria and scarring, apparently.

Each time I get malaria I notice that my stools are a pale almost yellow colour, and the yellowness remains for a few months.

Your symptoms sound identical to mine, so I would probably say that you had malaria both times, and not dengue.

Hi, I have a few questions regarding Dengue fever that maybe someone can help me with. I was in Malayisa last year and I was ill with what doctors claimed was dengue fever. After I got better and came home I developed Malaria and doctors questioned whether my initial dengue diagnosis was wrong and I had Malaria all along. This is possible but I really don't know. I understand that the second time you get dengue it can be incredibly painful, therefore I'm pretty keen on avoiding it, since I have probably had it once already! however I'm also pretty keen to spend  a lot of time in Thailand in the future. What I'd like to know is

1) Is it possible to test to see if you've had dengue?

2) I've read very different reports on which areas are safe, are there any safe areas?

3) How bad would it be if I got it again?

4) How high is the chance of getting it and what are the safest times of year to be in Thailand?

1) yes, Dengue serology (different tests available)

2) no (contrary to what some officials promote, Bangkok or Phuket are NOT safe)

3) probably (90%) not much worse than last time

4) probably less than 1% per month of stay, safest time is dry season, not just after the rainy seaso, so make it january- april

Thanks for those responses, I feel slightly less terrified of Thailand now than I did before! I'll definately be getting on to my local doctor to see about getting tested to see if I had it before, although NHS Doctors in the UK are pretty useless most of the time but I can at least try. I'll definately try and stick to the dry season too so my chances of getting it are lower