Got Frogs?

BLUEEYEDTHAI

Not really... only have 4 little turtles in a box with water but as usual they don't sing, at least I don't hear it might be on another frequency then my ears can receive.

Usually lotta froggies in the swamp back of my hut but not last nite, maybe they were stoned from the heat yesterday or evaporated.

Or all catched and eaten, locals here love to catch them and sell for big money.

What I find more annoying however are those loud and sharp chirping beatles, seems more hard to catch however...

And wish my neigbours cocks disappear in the soup soon (and neigbours themselves too if possible)

Edited by ManilaLover

Yes I have frogs a couple thousand of them. Want some? every time they flood the rice fields they come out to serenade. Great way to go to sleep. :)

You lucky ! Your FROGSOURCE can make you a wealthy man, did you know they do 100-200 each on the local market ?

Even better and less hassle... raise few bamboo huts in your garden, buy some table barbeques and paint a large sign: (NEW NEW NEW) CATCH YOUR OWN FROG ! ANY SIZE THE SAME PRIZE !

Edited by ManilaLover

I've got a big pond outside my hotel room and the frogs serenade me every night. By morning their songs are replaced by barking dogs, crowing roosters and cooing doves. However, the frogs croaking sure beats the mosquitos buzzing in my ear when I'm trying to sleep. I don't mind them biting me, but I hate that annoying buzz. Thai mosquitos are 1/3 the size of Canadian mosquitos and twice as fast. I can hardly hit the little blighters with my electric swatter. It DOES give a satisfying ZAP when I get lucky enough to hit one though.

I've got a big pond outside my hotel room and the frogs serenade me every night. By morning their songs are replaced by barking dogs, crowing roosters and cooing doves. However, the frogs croaking sure beats the mosquitos buzzing in my ear when I'm trying to sleep. I don't mind them biting me, but I hate that annoying buzz. Thai mosquitos are 1/3 the size of Canadian mosquitos and twice as fast. I can hardly hit the little blighters with my electric swatter. It DOES give a satisfying ZAP when I get lucky enough to hit one though.

I learned years ago that Thai mozzies are much more clever then those large slow dumbos in Europe, here they hide themselves behind objects if you are chasing them, nasty clever bastards.... it must be in the genes.

Ahh a suprising cool wind is entering my office now... guess more rain is coming today.

BlueyedThai: "More important than last nights storm(another thread),we have frogs seranading this morning.How about you?"

I haven't got frogs but I do have crabs. :D

In case you were wondering, the collective noun for frogs is a 'knot' or 'colony'. I don't know what the collective noun for crabs is - a 'scratch', maybe?

I only raise the topic because I overheard an American tourist last night talking about his visit to Tiger kingdom, where they have a 'bunch' of tigers, apparently. It is a 'streak' of tigers, of course, but that is in the English language. In the American version the collective noun for everything is a 'bunch' - they like to keep it simple. :)

Edited by KevinHunt

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

We are real jealous of lucky Khuns BlueEyedThai, GotLost, and Ian ! The neighborhood we live in is really short on frogs compared to other places we've have lived in Chiang Mai. Not a croak last night after the rain.

But, we did hear our first tookay of the new year four days ago. And it appears that the rooster who screams "imaturkey" incessantly is developing vocal problems; his sound is weaker and weaker.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

... snip ... I don't know what the collective noun for crabs is ... snip ...

The correct "term of venery"[1] for a group of crabs is : "dose."[2]

best, ~o:37;

... all year dates below are expressed in the Christian calendar system ...

[1] "terms of Venery" : from an Old French root, "venir," meaning to hunt : became used to describe the terminology for collections of mammals, invertebrates, etc.; codified in such ancient bibliographic landmarks as : "John Lydgate's Debate between the Horse, Goose, and Sheep (1440); and Lydgate's terms along with others appear in The Book of Hawking and Hunting (also known as The Book of St. Albans) by Dame Juliana Barnes (1486)."[1a].

Only the noble, or literary (which would have included the "religious"), classes would have learned and used the more exotic vocabulary.

[1a] undated Essay, and lexicon of terms of venery for birds, by Terry Ross of the University of Baltimore on the Baltimore Bird Club's website : Terms of Venery for Birds Note that Ross dares to even question the "OED" itself in his comments here : "Alas, the OED itself is not totally reliable: the word "kettle" (as both a noun and a verb) has been used by hawk watchers for many years, and it has often appeared in print; the OED editors obviously are not birders. It may well be that the other terms in group E appear on the 15th-century lists and were simply missed."

"An Exaltation of Larks," 1968, by American author James Lipton is a wonderful, magical, book that explores this terminology : James Lipton and Exaltation of Larks : (note : appears TV prevents giving a link to the book on Amazon, but it's easy to find there : ISBN-10 = 0140170960)

[2] Taken from this Wikepedia page : Collective Nouns for Invertebrates : note that no source is given for this term for crabs.

. . . visit to Tiger kingdom, where they have a 'bunch' of tigers, apparently. It is a 'streak' of tigers, of course, but that is in the English language. In the American version the collective noun for everything is a 'bunch' - they like to keep it simple. :)

Actually the Americans, as usual, have an uncanny command of English that the Brits cannot grasp.

When the aforementioned collection of tiger animals are strangers among themselves, not yet having developed a pecking order, social rules, and so on, they are properly called a "bunch", a "sh*t-load" or a "mess" of tigers.

Did they teach you anything in reform school? :D

. . . visit to Tiger kingdom, where they have a 'bunch' of tigers, apparently. It is a 'streak' of tigers, of course, but that is in the English language. In the American version the collective noun for everything is a 'bunch' - they like to keep it simple. :)

Actually the Americans, as usual, have an uncanny command of English that the Brits cannot grasp.

When the aforementioned collection of tiger animals are strangers among themselves, not yet having developed a pecking order, social rules, and so on, they are properly called a "bunch", a "sh*t-load" or a "mess" of tigers.

Did they teach you anything in reform school? :D

Where I come from they call them a baseball team, Detroit Tigers. Alas, a very poor one most seasons. :D