Learning Thai In Chiang Mai

kamp

There are so many places where you can learn Thai, I got some private lessons from a teacher in the same street as the CM Sunday walking street, coming from Tapaegate halfway cross the trafficlights, 3rd building on the left, it has a big yellow sign above the doors. They do a lot, coffeeshop, travelburo, excurisons, lessons. The teacher I has was called Ann and the courses where fun. All well educated people there, they did some translations for me as well.

Another way is to learn Thai via the university, some courses support you getting a non-immigrant one year visa.

Depends on somebodies feeling for language how long it takes to learn the basics, I suggest concentrate on short sentences that you already can use in daily life, that's what I did.

At the same time learn to count, days of the weeks, months that are good exersises. Small sentences you can use everyday for sure, good one is: 'lot dai mai ?' (can I get a discount ?)

If you really go for it start excercising the real name of Bangkok out of your head (I admit I can't): It's Krungthep Mahanakon Bovorn Rattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokpop Noparatratchatathani Burirom Udomratchanivetmahasatan Amornpiman Avatarnsatit Sakkathattiyaavisnukarmprasit. :D and your Thai friends will be totally stunned.

The english translation would be something like:

The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn. :)

Edited by ManilaLover

I don't want to learn "tourist thai".. I am want to be able to comminucate with the children in the orphanage I support and with the rice project I do for slum kids.

'tourist thai' ? hehe... i am not talking about 'tourist thai', it depends on your personal level, but you need to learn the basics however. it's more useful to speak a little but fluent then knowing all the grammar but not being able to speak one word.

i did only 10 hours course after i lived here for few years, the rest you learn most fast by practising, a dictionary and sometimes a friend who teaches you few words. best is really make a list of the words you gonna need in the orpanage.

Absolutely everything in learning a language depends on the dedication of the learner.

I would suggest CMU or the Y for people that really want to learn, but remember much of what you retain will depend upon your using it and practicing as much as possible.

If, on the other hand you REALLY want to be fluent and are truly dedicated, then I would suggest the program at Chula in BKK.

The difficulty in evaluating schools is that hardly anyone can post based on comparative experiences. That is, few of us have done more than what has worked for us. This is certainly true here for me. There are of course the usual postings from major outfits in town, and at least that provides a sense of costs (which are often a factor for us).

I have a friend who is in and out of the country a lot - I'm guessing for the last four years. He's quite fluent verbally, but has not taken on reading and writing much. It took him the full equivalent of over one and one half semester's study (full time) in a university to achieve fair fluency. He studied at AUA and Payap, and gave both good grades, depending on the teachers (another factor sometimes).

But this relates to a considerable concern. Do you want to read and write, ever? There are two theories about this, and one is that if reading is a goal, one should begin right away with letters, taking the study of reading and writing and speaking and understanding all at once. Chiang Mai University is very clear on this - they claim it is the best way. CMU is worth investigating also if you want a one year study visa; they have options including volunteer work in education, though the visa business is what some would think costly.

For myself, I attended AUA and found it (again, my teacher there) to be excellent. But it was very serious work. Teacher said that progress depended on doing 2 hours homework for 2 hours of daily class, M-F. I am a native speaker of English, intermediate in French, and have forgotten a good deal of German. But I'm older now, and anyway none of that helped. I had to study 3 hours to keep up. Progress was good for those of who stuck it out, but it took WORK. You get out what you put into it.

Finally, phew, probably the easiest and fastest way is immersion in some fashion; living within the language can be quick, and some schools provide that.

To speak and be able to ask questions in simple short sentence form doesnt take long if youre dedicated. You could get first year level in 2 months if you take Intensive Thai. Reading and writing is ALOT harder. Thats where you would be spending most of your time studying if youre studying it all.

AUA is pretty good. One of the teachers from there teaches at the SEASSI in Madison Wisconsin, which is where I took some of my Thai courses. She goes every summer and she's a great teacher.

I'm going to Payap in a couple weeks. Its Intensive Thai program so, a term is basically 1 month of Payap course. You could finishes 4 years of Thai at Payap in 1 year if you study.

Yunnie, which teacher is is that goes to Wisconsin every year?

I had that teacher too. I can't remember her name. She is from Songkla province and has sort of curly hair. She was a good teacher, but I didn't think AUA was that great. I would recommend a private tutor named Lah who teaches at her apartment on Huay Kaew Road near Central Kad Suan Kaew. She's a great teacher - patient and enthusiastic. She writes her own textbooks, but I'm sure she can also tailor her lessons to your specific needs. Also she really focuses on pronunciation which is so critical with Thai and is something that doesn't receive much attention at AUA or other language courses I've taken that are taught to large groups. I think she charges around 300 baht for a one hour lesson. Her website is: thailanguagechiangmai.com

I learned how to read and write Thai while also learning how to speak Thai. It didn't take long before I was reading shop signs, billboards, etc. I've learned alot of Thai just from reading signs.

I also suggest keeping a small pocket size notebook and writing down any new words you see or hear, then looking them up in a dictionary once you get home. I also made flashcards of the new words I learned.

I agree with previous posts i.e. you get out of it what you put into it. I can speak and read fluent Thai and I can write extremely well, although I still make mistakes writing Thai. Minor problem imho. :) But my Thai would never have become so good if I didn't have the right attitude i.e. an overwhelming desire to become fluent.

The teacher that goes to the US every summer and works at AUA is ajaan Patcharee Promsuwanou. If you start taking classes now and plan on going for a few months... remember she wont be around from from June till Sept since she'll be doing SEASSI in Wisconsin.

I like her for first year level Thai. She's very patience and helps with pronunciation and tones alot. She tailors the course to you and your needs.

Higher level academic learning of Thai is a different issue. I have mix reviews about it. lol But That has nothing to do with her. Its just how SEASSI Thai program was set up. Over all she's a great teacher and her English is very very good.