Virginia Shortage

dunrudin

I have not been able to buy London, of late, have switched to Benson and have heard that these are running out together with 555 and Dunhill i.e all the virginia brands. Any tobacco japies able to shed light. (Tub thumping anti-smokers need not bother with this thread).

Thanks in anticipation

Interesting conclusion! I smoke Dunhill red and have been having to search wider and wider to find them (only sold at 711).

Marlboro Reds seem still in good supply from the 711s in Ban Chang. Made in the Philippines, but I believe those are still Virginia flavour tobacco, isn't it?

Should I stock up? :)

Interesting conclusion! I smoke Dunhill red and have been having to search wider and wider to find them (only sold at 711).

Marlboro Reds seem still in good supply from the 711s in Ban Chang. Made in the Philippines, but I believe those are still Virginia flavour tobacco, isn't it?

Should I stock up? :)

I think you're safe with toasted tobacco like L&M or Marlboro. I have always thought of Virginia as cured but not toasted.

I read that the Thai government is going after Philip Morris for maybe some import/customs tax fraud? Billions of baht at stake. Not sure but I think I read that the suit has already been filed. If you Google it, the story is there. After I read that, several brands disappeared from 7-11 Thailand. Not sure what all brands are involved but the brand selection at 711 has greatly declined in the last few weeks. Local 711 personnel in the shops here say they don't expect to be carrying the brands that have sold out.

Got me thinking about quitting :)

I have been trawling 7-11's and buying up all their stock of 555's and B&H, many had already sold out.

I'm down to my last 4 packs of B&H and can't find anywhere else with them.

If the worst comes to the worst I will have to nip over to Burma with a bunch of Thai non-smokers to replenish my stock.

The pleasures of being an addict eh? :D

Likewise with a brace of B&H left. I used to collect my mandatory couple of cartons in Tachiliek every month, but I don't do visa runs these days. However, the Burmese ones are put out by a different consortium than the Thai ones. Googling the names, I came up with some nasty associations re ownership. It's a different issue to the customs case, but it looks horribly like our choice has had the flick.

I read that the Thai government is going after Philip Morris for maybe some import/customs tax fraud? Billions of baht at stake. Not sure but I think I read that the suit has already been filed. If you Google it, the story is there. After I read that, several brands disappeared from 7-11 Thailand. Not sure what all brands are involved but the brand selection at 711 has greatly declined in the last few weeks. Local 711 personnel in the shops here say they don't expect to be carrying the brands that have sold out.

Philip Morris don't make these brands. It's British-American Tobacco.

I got their phone number in BK off the web so I will give them a call tomorrow and report back :)