Farang Dead After Playing With Fire Extinguisher

george

New Zealand tourist found dead after playing with fire extinguisher

BANGKOK: -- A New Zealander was found dead in a Khao San guesthouse room yesterday. The circumstances of the tourist’s death remain unknown, police said.

Early yesterday morning, police were called to the Marco Polo Guesthouse on Khao San Road, where they found Corin Ian James, 27, dead in his rented room, said Captain Traisak Sopha of Chanasongkram police station.

Two fellow New Zealanders – friends of the dead tourist – told police the three of them had checked into the guesthouse on Sunday evening. They went out partying together and returned to their room at around 9pm.

James, still drunk, retrieved a fire extinguisher from the hallway and proceeded to empty its contents in jest, his friends told police. They added that they finally thought it prudent to restrain their horseplaying friend when he tried to get another extinguisher.

The two friends then left James to sleep in the room. When they returned at 3am, they found their friend dead, they told police.

Police suspect James may have died after inhaling the toxic fumes unleashed by the fire extinguisher. An autopsy report will determine the exact cause of death, police said.

--THE NATION 2005-05-03

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another sad story of a young tourist playing a little too hard. He must not have realised that the fire extinguishers in Khao Sarn road were originally installed on the Ark, and unlike their modern counterparts, are extremely toxic......but that's what getting hammered does to you :o

Another sad story of a young tourist playing a little too hard. He must not have realised that the fire extinguishers in Khao Sarn road were originally installed on the Ark, and unlike their modern counterparts, are extremely toxic......but that's what getting hammered does to you :o

Well. He did get extinguished. Didn't he?

If the guy died that means the fire extinguisher was most likely HALON. Halon is not toxic, but it displaces oxygen. The guy probably died of suffocation. You can get a high off of Halon. A few years ago in the Marines there was a Fire Fighter that died from huffing the Halon extinguisher. I myself have tryed it before, ignoring the risks, because I was a stupid ingnorant bastard. It is much like Nitrous, except worse. Halon is mostly banned from use in the US by the Evironmental people. But, the militairy uses it still extensively.

Edited by peder.klockmann

If the guy died that means the fire extinguisher was most likely HALON.  Halon is not toxic, but it displaces oxygen.  The guy probably died of suffocation.  You can get a high off of Halon.  A few years ago in the Marines there was a Fire Fighter that died from huffing the Halon extinguisher.  I myself have tryed it before, ignoring the risks, because I was a stupid ingnorant bastard.  It is much like Nitrous, except worse.  Halon is mostly banned from use in the US by the Evironmental people.  But, the militairy uses it still extensively.

we are just starting to phase it out here

It was a suicide. Do you consider drug overdoses a murder? I bet the real story goes something like this:

A few friends were drinking, one of them knows about the powers of halon. One brings the extinguisher inside. They all are drunk and start huffing on it. Their friend passes out. They try to wake him up to no avail. They all leave and pretend like nothing happend. They go see him in the morning. He's been dead for hours now. They call the police, and tell their fabricated story about him spraying the extinguisher around. Hoping nobody suspects what they were doing. And, how they all knowingly participated.

Well. He did get extinguished. Didn't he?

LOOOOOL he sure did... But I think the true meaning of an extinguisher is slightly different than in this case...

If the guy died that means the fire extinguisher was most likely HALON.  Halon is not toxic, but it displaces oxygen.  The guy probably died of suffocation.  You can get a high off of Halon.  A few years ago in the Marines there was a Fire Fighter that died from huffing the Halon extinguisher.  I myself have tryed it before, ignoring the risks, because I was a stupid ingnorant bastard.  It is much like Nitrous, except worse.  Halon is mostly banned from use in the US by the Evironmental people.  But, the militairy uses it still extensively.

Yup, bang on.

Usually bromochlorodifluoromethane, ‘Halon’ is not only a superb fire extinguishant, it’s also a superb extinguishant of the ozone layer (far more effective in this respect than the better-known chlorofluorocarbons). That’s why new production is now banned under, I believe, under an international convention. New production of Halon should have ceased in most countries by now.

It’s an asphyxiant when inhaled - humans have evolved to use *oxygen* in their metabolism, *not* halogen gases. So, yes, I too recommend a Darwin award here.

There’s no requirement to replace existing extinguishers, and used ones may be recharged with recycled gas. There’s no reason why the guest house should not still have some Halon extinguishers. It’s a lot better than none at all!

Just Hit the Wires Today...

Ban on tourist horseplay with fire extinguishers in hotel rooms.

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok city council enacted a new law to be put in effect immediately banning all horseplay with fire extinguishers in hotel rooms after a 27 year old New Zealander was found dead in a Khao San guesthouse room yesterday.

Police suspect the young man may have died after inhaling the toxic fumes unleashed by the fire extinguisher. An autopsy report will determine the exact cause of death, police said.

--THE NATION 2005-05-03

It's good to see they have reacted so quickly to ban horseplay with fire extinguiushers -- all they need to do now is ban stupidity and all problems like this will be solved.

I didn't see in the story what type of extinguisher it was.

Fire can occure if 3 things are present. Fuel, Oxigen and Heat (in most cases). Remove any of these elements and there can be no fire. Gas type fire extiguishers are not very good on (what we call) type A fires. This is normal combustibles like wood, paper, sheets, bedding, etc., the types of things you would find in a hotel room. The reason for this is that once the extinguisher is emptied these types of materials tend to still be hot, so, when the oxigen returns the fire starts again. Both co2 and halon kill the fire by removing the oxigen from the fire without leaving a residue (they are prefered for fighting electrical or computer type fires). Halon, especially, is expensive and only good in a closed environment because it works by displacing Oxigen. Not likely to be used in a Hotel. In the case of co2 the lack of oxigen is a short lived state so if the fire is not completely out when the oxigen returns the fire will return. The most effective type of extinguisher in this environment would be non toxic Dry powder chemical extinguisher (basically baking soda). It makes a mess (not as much as a fire) but it works by smothering the fire (cutting off the oxigen again) It is cheap and effective. I can't think why a hotel would use any other type of extinguisher. Water is a bad choice because of electricity.. That would be your darwin award.