Flying To Mesai?

st11x

G'day,

I recall a seeing a topic about being able to fly up to somewhere close to Mesai (possibly Chiang Rai?), but I cannot find it anymore.

I am thinking of making a trip since my Non-O is expiring. Having just been there about a month ago, I am dreading the drive up there again.

Is there a budget flight that gets me up there? If it's Chiang Rai, then is there any transportation to get you to Mesai from the airport other than to rent a car?

Going up there on a bus is another option to consider. However, seeing the way they drive the double decker buses, I doubt I want to entrust my life to those guys. A good comfortable single level bus like the NCA ones might be acceptable.

What are the costs?

thanks

Matt

Nok Air (SGA) fly the 12 seaters to Chiang Rai - morning and evening flights so it's possible to do a day trip. Not exactly a budget option though: around 3000bt all in.

Now calling themselves Nok Mini. Excellent service and worth every baht just for the view!

Flying to CR is possible. There is a connecting bus to the bus terminal. The drive to Mae Sai is 1 hour. The last bus back to CM leaves Mae Sai at 330. Usually.

There used to be an expat van that went from CM to Mae Sai and back. Took 3.5 hrs each way. The driver waited 30 mins for visa business. One stop on the way up.

Then there is a bus at Arcade. Very wonderful bus. It's air-con and the seats are extra wide and extremely comfortable. You get to MS around 11AM. ( Bus leaves around 8/830. from CM. 330B one way I think. Very very comfortable. Stops in CR for 5 mins and drops you at MS bus terminal. Truck to the border was 10B.

Driving yourself up could be fun as well.

Take a big bike. Gets the adrenalin flowing and you can do the round trip in 4 hours if you are game.

That's going some , average speed 125KM/H. The best I've done, is just over 5 hours in a E320 Merc... and I wasn't hanging about...

Edited by Thaihog

Take a big bike. Gets the adrenalin flowing and you can do the round trip in 4 hours if you are game.

That's going some , average speed 125KM/H. The best I've done, is just over 5 hours in a E320 Merc... and I wasn't hanging about...

TH, you know me well enough to know that it is possible and has been done. My mate, on his 998 and I get a little competitive at times.

TH, you know me well enough to know that it is possible and has been done. My mate, on his 998 and I get a little competitive at times.

Is this similar to nearly killing ourselves :)

'Born to be Wild' lol....

Lets hope there are no innocent people in the way when they come to grief, wheres a pickup coming around the corner on the wrong side of the road when you want it?