No More Cheating At Petrol Stations

webfact

Maybe it has already been said, but what they REALLY REALLY need in Thailand are these clear bubbles on every pump with the cartwheel inside which spins when the gas is flowing, that way everyone can see what kind/color of gas is going into the tank.

Edited by jbhh

"Consumers will now know if they are cheated"

How many people in Thailand actually get out their cars to check what is being put in ???....what you going to do demand a "p*ss test" of the pump before they put the fuel in

Don't have to check inside, just look at the diesels exhaust, what's coming out from smoke

How many people in Thailand actually get out their cars to check what is being put in ???....what you going to do demand a "p*ss test" of the pump before they put the fuel in

Used to be a time years back (in the uk anyway) when fuel pumps had a glass dome on them & you could see what you were getting. Alas, long gone with the advent of pumps capable of charging over 100p per litre. (average price of diesel here now about 58.76 bht)

Diesel in the UK is coloured for tax reasons

It's Duty actually, as applied by Customs and Exise. Agricultural diesel has lower duty that road diesel, and is used in construction plant also. It is possible to remove the dye, but the cost of filtering exceeds the net gain, which is why crooks don't bother.

A few years back when Gordon Brown was Chancellor he was going to make the construction industry change to using white diesel, it would have bankrupted several companies, including the one I worked for. We priced for contracts three or four years before starting work, a doubling of plant fuel would have rendered contracts unprofitable for three of four years, no company could have absorbed that.

In Spain they dyed olive oil that was unfit for human consumption, someone found a way to filter the dye out, selling the oil as premium grade food oil. Several people died (Not dyed.) and many more were blinded as a result of poisoning.

Exactly! unless there is a "Clear tubing" from the pump to your car you will have no idea.

just take a empty water bottle, first let them fill your tank, and stop them just before the amount is reached,then give the last drops into the water bottle, and you see if its okay or not.

If it is not the colour you required, call the police.(or get a free tank)

Used to be a time years back (in the uk anyway) when fuel pumps had a glass dome on them & you could see what you were getting. Alas, long gone with the advent of pumps capable of charging over 100p per litre. (average price of diesel here now about 58.76 bht)

Diesel in the UK is coloured for tax reasons

Same same in Belgium.

We'll never be entirely sure until they start flavouring it. Pull into the petrol station, get given a drop in a wine glass so you can swirl it about, have a sniff and a taste before accepting it or not. That's the only way.

Not taken yer tablets to-day have we!!!!!! :)

How is that going to stop the most popular cheat, not resetting the pump between customers?

Try looking at the pump before they start pumping. Easy with motorbike and just as easy with a car if you want it to be. If your lazy or forget, your fault, this is a worldwide problem not limited to Thailand

Great it'll be helpful especially for telling what exactly is in the gas can before it goes in my boat, lawn mowers, tractor, etc. Now if I send someone down for gas I can see directly that's it's what I ordered.:) Hopefully this color coding will become standardized as it's much easier to understand red goes to red and blue goes to blue etc. similar to the way the headphone jack on my computer is green and not pink kinda makes things even more idiot proof. :D

How is that going to stop the most popular cheat, not resetting the pump between customers?

Another hit on the nails head!!! CORRECT, that's the common cheat in all pumping stations. Also restart the pump for another customer when you have been away in the toilet for a pee and then telling a sum which is 100 or 200 THB more... How can you control this one? :)

It's tricky but you can just fill your tank full with each fill up and manage the math of cost of fuel x your car(s) fuel capacity. I always fill at the half way point so I know approx. what it's going to be.

:)

Sorry this is a little off topic.

Using kids at service stations as attendants seemed to have reduced somewhat.

About two months back new operators took over the station that I regularly use which is an international off-shore brand.

Now staffed by mostly underage kids, dressed in rags (not their fault), and bare feet.

I asked a couple of the kids if they had been told anything about safety / dangers of gasoline and the other products on site.

"No".

octane-91 petrol will become yellow, octane-95 petrol blue, diesel B5 red.

Absolutely fantastic, "Amazing Thailand" does it again.

Currently, the identifying colours at the pump are:

91 - Red

95 - Yellow / Orange

Diesel - Blue

Why confuse the issue..??

Man, I LOVE this place..!!

I do believe we will now be seeing a lot of PURPLE fuel now....as it goes without saying when you mix yellow and blue.

Yellow petrol and blue petrol, make PURPLE..... hmmmmmmmm.

I suppose that is another Thai innovation.

Sorry this is a little off topic.

Using kids at service stations as attendants seemed to have reduced somewhat.

About two months back new operators took over the station that I regularly use which is an international off-shore brand.

Now staffed by mostly underage kids, dressed in rags (not their fault), and bare feet.

I asked a couple of the kids if they had been told anything about safety / dangers of gasoline and the other products on site.

"No".

:)

I believe you have a moral obligation to report this to the authorities.