Aeon Atm's

bunta71

A few months ago there was the thread about ATM fees,and it was mentioned that the Aeon ATM going towards the bathroom at Carrefour doesn't charge the new 150Baht per transaction.So I started to use it since it is where I am frequently.It never mentions the charge when making withdrawals and I thought all was good. After a couple months though I checked my online bank statements from my credit union in the states and found them to actually charging 200Baht for evey transaction.... :):D

That must be a charge from your credit union in the States. I use the Aeon ATM in Carrefours every week and there is no AEON Charge. My Bank in Ireland charges me 1% of the Euro equivalent for the transaction of 10,000 baht not 10,150 baht. :)

AEON is still free

used it today to get 40,000 baht, no fee on withdrawel

just checked my account online, no fee from AEON, only my usual 5$Sing fee from DBS

I agree. I withdrew 14k baht against my US bank and NO FEE. 0 zip, nada!

Yes, that's right. AEON ATMs remain fee-free, at least from the AEON end of things in Thailand.

If AEON ever did begin charging a fee on foreign cards used in Thailand, presumably, it would be listed separately on their ATM receipt, as already occurs now with the Thai banks and their 150 baht ATM fee.

What, if anything, your home bank charges you, either as a flat fee or a percentage cut, of ATM withdrawals made abroad is entirely set by their policy, and is a separate matter.

Easyride - Nationwide reject ATMs that do not have a chip reader inside them. Look for a new machine or one in a bigger branch as they do have chip readers inside.

I got that information from Nationwide who knew I had used an ATM and what time - but that NW had rejected the transaction.

The Aeon machine in Carrefour is always out of service when I'm in there.

Be careful using the Aeon at Carrefour. It ate my card and kept the money about six weeks ago. After four emails to my US bank, and a couple phone calls to Aeon, it looks like I'm going to get my money back. My bank in the US has already re-deposited the funds in my account.

Aeon has a LIVE bank at Tesco / Lotus on North Ptya Road. They were a lot of help settling things. We go out of our way now and go to the bank in N. Pattaya. They have two ATM's at the bank, and if something goes wrong, maybe.....just maybe, someone can open up the machine and correct the problem. :)

Bank of Ayyuthaya is still fee-free for British VISA debit card holders.

Latest W/D Jan 28 2010.

The yellow coloured banks right?

They always reject my Nationwide card with 'the transaction has been cancelled' - every time!

I get this 'the transaction has been cancelled' most times I uses an ATM. I phoned up Nationwide and they told me to try a 2nd time and then it usually works on the 2nd attempt .

and indeed it usually workd for me

OK for me every Saturday up to 3 weeks ago. Then 2 weeks in a row out of service. OK last Saturday. I wonder what will happen today. :)

It's no surprise. A fee free machine at a busy shopping centre in central Pattaya is going to see a lot of use...especially now that we've broadcasted it on Thaivisa.

Yeah it's a charge from your bank. My bank makes me pay like 200thb as well but Aeon is free.

Sounds feasable in theory but when checking my bank records,the charges when I withdraw at Bangkok bank shows 150 baht charge but 200 baht charge with the Aeon ATM. My bank isn't charging for my withdrawal.I use a small Credit Union in the states that is so small they don't even do international transfers. So I stand by what I see and say. 200B fee every time I use Aeon and 150B fee when I use Bangkok bank Atms'. May have to chalk this up to being just another one of life's mysteries...

Be careful using the Aeon at Carrefour. It ate my card and kept the money about six weeks ago. After four emails to my US bank, and a couple phone calls to Aeon, it looks like I'm going to get my money back. My bank in the US has already re-deposited the funds in my account.

Aeon has a LIVE bank at Tesco / Lotus on North Ptya Road. They were a lot of help settling things. We go out of our way now and go to the bank in N. Pattaya. They have two ATM's at the bank, and if something goes wrong, maybe.....just maybe, someone can open up the machine and correct the problem. :D

AEON has an office that handles their credit cards at Tesco / Lotus on North Patya Road , and by no means could it be considered a Bank, this is the office (if your card is retained by the machine at Carrefour) that you would go to retrieve it. My card was retained by the machine at Carrefour because I didn't remove it fast enough. I got my card back in three days and found them to be most cooperative (most banks will not give you back your foreign ATM card but will only return it to the issuing bank)

And to the OP, check with the bank that issued your ATM card, they charged the FEE, not Aeon

PattayaParent go to Carrefour earlier in the day before the rest of us cheap farangs empty the FEE FREE machine :)

AEON has an office that handles their credit cards at Tesco / Lotus on North Patya Road , and by no means could it be considered a Bank, this is the office (if your card is retained by the machine at Carrefour) that you would go to retrieve it. My card was retained by the machine at Carrefour because I didn't remove it fast enough. I got my card back in three days and found them to be most cooperative (most banks will not give you back your foreign ATM card but will only return it to the issuing bank)

Personally, I think that is bad practice.

If an ATM keeps your card, you should immediately call your home bank and cancel the card.

Believe me, that is the way to go. If somebody handles your card they can clone it, skim it, note the number and expiry date and 3 digit security PIN etc.

They might return your card, wait a week until you are off your guard, then go to work on a fraud spree.

• 2 weeks later...

In about a year of intensely covering/monitoring this subject, I don't think we've ever had a report from anyone of any country -- except for the one above -- about someone being charged a 200 baht transaction fee by an AEON ATM.

To the best of my knowledge, AEON ATMs are fee-free for everyone, regardless of their home country or the type of bank card they're using (provided its among the many varieties than AEON ATMs in Thailand accept).

Now just to be clear, I'm talking about using a DEBIT/CHECK/ATM card to withdraw cash from their ATMs, even if those cards carry the VISA or MC logo.

Using credit cards to withdraw cash from ATMs in an entirely different matter. AEON won't charge a fee for those either. But you're home bank probably will charge you a 1-4% cash advance fee, and you'll likely begin paying interest on the withdrawn amount from the day of the withdrawal...no grace period.

In about a year of intensely covering/monitoring this subject, I don't think we've ever had a report from anyone of any country -- except for the one above -- about someone being charged a 200 baht transaction fee by an AEON ATM.

To the best of my knowledge, AEON ATMs are fee-free for everyone, regardless of their home country or the type of bank card they're using (provided its among the many varieties than AEON ATMs in Thailand accept).

Now just to be clear, I'm talking about using a DEBIT/CHECK/ATM card to withdraw cash from their ATMs, even if those cards carry the VISA or MC logo.

Using credit cards to withdraw cash from ATMs in an entirely different matter. AEON won't charge a fee for those either. But you're home bank probably will charge you a 1-4% cash advance fee, and you'll likely begin paying interest on the withdrawn amount from the day of the withdrawal...no grace period.

Agreed, I think the original poster is mistaken. AEON were not taking a fee his home bank was.

The situation in Thailand appears to be AEON is free for all and Ayyuthaya Bank is free for U.K. debit VISA card holders. End of story.

Edited by syd barrett

Syd, re Bank of Ayudhya, the fee-free ATM use is NOT for ALL/ANY U.K. VISA card holders, right???

As best as I recall, that quirk just applies to U.K. Nationwide VISA card holders....and I'm trying to remember whether it was for both varieties/colors of their cards, or just one of the two?

Syd, re Bank of Ayudhya, the fee-free ATM use is NOT for ALL/ANY U.K. VISA card holders, right???

As best as I recall, that quirk just applies to U.K. Nationwide VISA card holders....and I'm trying to remember whether it was for both varieties/colors of their cards, or just one of the two?

I use a LLoyds Bank VISA debit and that is free. So it is not just Nationwide VISA card holders who are fee-free. I have been speaking to fellow British Ex-Pats who all use Ayyuthaya for free and they have accounts with other U.K. banks such as Barclays & R.B.S.

OK.. Thanks Syd... That's very interesting... Good to folks here to know and read.

I don't recall hearing those kinds of broader reports here before... All the Ayudhya fee-free discussion I recall seemed to center on U.K. Nationwide...

But I'll certainly defer to you and your U.K. network, me being a Yank after all... :)

Hehehe.... OK...so this just occurs to me... Let's have a deal....

We Yanks will leave the Ayudhya ATMs to you.. And you Brits leave the AEON ATMs to us Yanks...

Then, the folks in Pattaya will stop having to complain about the AEON ATMs there often being out of cash... :D

Edited by jfchandler

I use a LLoyds Bank VISA debit and that is free. So it is not just Nationwide VISA card holders who are fee-free. I have been speaking to fellow British Ex-Pats who all use Ayyuthaya for free and they have accounts with other U.K. banks such as Barclays & R.B.S.

Well this ATM asks if you accept that Bank of Ayudhya will do currency exchange with their rates. If you accept then this withdrawal is "free".. If yo do not accept you will get official visa/master exchangerate which better and then there is this 150 fee..

"free" option is more expensive than 150 fee option.. :)

As best I recall, and reinforced by a prior ThaiVisa thread of the subject, Bank of Ayudhya was only doing Dynamic Currency Conversion (read "lousy exchange rate") on MasterCard logo cards denominated in U.S. $ and Euros...

Not on Visa logo cards... And not on cards based in other currencies such as GBP.... Unless they've changed/expanded somewhere along the way...

See this prior ThaiVisa thread on the subject...