New Business Opportunity

Gary A

When I was a kid back in Ohio, my family didn't have much money. The local farmers usually had their own milk cows. When the cows were too old to produce much, they were taken to a local cannery, slaughtered then the beef was cooked and canned. I must say it was VERY tasty and cheap.

Here in Thailand the local beef I have found is tough as leather and even the range chickens are too tough to eat. An enterprising farang could easily buy a commercial pressure cooker and a small canning line. I doubt it would be a major investment. Canned beef/chicken should easily sell to at least the farang community. I am happily retired and too lazy to consider it myself.

is food healthy from a can? What about preservatives, salt, flavouring agents etc.

Why not use a home pressure cooker, or, casserole, or, stew tough meat until tender.

The problem I find with beef here is the gristle conent.

Most canned beef has nothing in the can except juice from the processing and beef. It is likely safer than fresh meat because of the very high processing temperatures.

I have boiled, BBQ'd and slow cooked Thai beef and it is still tough and stringy. As a matter of fact, I have broken down and ordered a high quality pressure cooker just today. I have seen pressure cookers here that were pretty scary. I ordered mine from;

http://www.pressurecooker.com.au/about-us.asp

I chose;

WMF Perfect 6.5L pressure cooker @ AUD$299 + AUD$47 delivery charges to Thailand, a total cost of AUD$346.

Better to be safe than sorry, hurt or dead. Safety is the reason I spent a lot more than I had to.

Canned beef/chicken should easily sell to at least the farang community.

Beef and chicken in a can? No offense, but....bleh! :) I would be surprised if it is easy to sell to the farang community as a whole. Maybe to people from certain countries, but I know that a lot of us who would never consider buying a product like that. If anyone tries it and it is successful, good for you for proving me wrong!

Beef and chicken in a can? No offense, but....bleh! :) I would be surprised if it is easy to sell to the farang community as a whole. Maybe to people from certain countries, but I know that a lot of us who would never consider buying a product like that. If anyone tries it and it is successful, good for you for proving me wrong!

Spam comes to mind, but then again that is not really meat is it?

is food healthy from a can? What about preservatives, salt, flavouring agents etc.

Why not use a home pressure cooker, or, casserole, or, stew tough meat until tender.

Most canned beef has nothing in the can except juice from the processing and beef. It is likely safer than fresh meat because of the very high processing temperatures.

I have boiled, BBQ'd and slow cooked Thai beef and it is still tough and stringy. As a matter of fact, I have broken down and ordered a high quality pressure cooker just today. I have seen pressure cookers here that were pretty scary. I ordered mine from;

I chose;

WMF Perfect 6.5L pressure cooker @ AUD$299 + AUD$47 delivery charges to Thailand, a total cost of AUD$346.

Better to be safe than sorry, hurt or dead. Safety is the reason I spent a lot more than I had to.

Expect to get slapped by Customs with a duty/tax equal to the value of the item.

If they dont tag you, you'll be lucky.

I ordered some DVD's from Amazon - which shipped out of HongKong.

I got tagged with a 100% duty, payable at the post office.

Wont do that again. Good thing it was only a couple DVDs.

There is a way around it, though... have the item(s) shipped to friend in your home country. Have them get rid of the invoice, open it up so it looks used, have them attach a card that says "happy birthday" or something, and let them ship it to you.

Edited by ChefHeat

Spam comes to mind, but then again that is not really meat is it?

Yes, I was thinking of Spam too. That's one of those things that usually gets a "gross!" reaction from the people I know. Like I said, maybe there are people who enjoy that kind of thing. I just wanted to point out that some farangs have no interest in canned meat.

Obviously some people have never had canned beef. Precook some potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. Pour a can of beef in the pot with the vegetables and simmer it for an hour or so. GREAT stew. For great beef sandwiches, pour a can of beef in a pot, add some gravy mix, warm and eat. Using condensed mushroom soup is excellent too.

Obviously some people have never had canned beef. Precook some potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. Pour a can of beef in the pot with the vegetables and simmer it for an hour or so. GREAT stew. For great beef sandwiches, pour a can of beef in a pot, add some gravy mix, warm and eat. Using condensed mushroom soup is excellent too.

I have had those Irish Stew type canned products before forget the brand but they included everything in one can.

When I was a kid back in Ohio, my family didn't have much money. The local farmers usually had their own milk cows. When the cows were too old to produce much, they were taken to a local cannery, slaughtered then the beef was cooked and canned. I must say it was VERY tasty and cheap.

Here in Thailand the local beef I have found is tough as leather and even the range chickens are too tough to eat. An enterprising farang could easily buy a commercial pressure cooker and a small canning line. I doubt it would be a major investment. Canned beef/chicken should easily sell to at least the farang community. I am happily retired and too lazy to consider it myself.

sure shop in bangkok not have pressure cooker? i have seen in some big c..

Edited by 13morris

We used to carry canned chicken/beef when we packed into the Rockies on 2 and 3 week hunts. Either one made a tasty dish when mixed with egg noodles , water and spice to taste. The canned meat was tender and this was a fast/filling meal to prepare. I find fresh chicken here ok but the beef leaves a lot to be desired.

I chose;

Expect to get slapped by Customs with a duty/tax equal to the value of the item.

If they dont tag you, you'll be lucky.

I ordered some DVD's from Amazon - which shipped out of HongKong.

I got tagged with a 100% duty, payable at the post office.

Wont do that again. Good thing it was only a couple DVDs.

There is a way around it, though... have the item(s) shipped to friend in your home country. Have them get rid of the invoice, open it up so it looks used, have them attach a card that says "happy birthday" or something, and let them ship it to you.

I received my pressure cooker today. It arrived through the regular Thai mail and there was no tax. The only times I get hit for the BIG tax is if items are shipped UPS or Fed Ex.

sure shop in bangkok not have pressure cooker? i have seen in some big c..

When dealing with pressure and steam, I'm not happy to take a chance with a cheap pressure cooker. I have seen some of the Chinese made pressure cookers and they scared me.

I received my pressure cooker today. It arrived through the regular Thai mail and there was no tax. The only times I get hit for the BIG tax is if items are shipped UPS or Fed Ex.

Choke dee.

My DVD's were through the regular Thai mail as well, and they taxed me 100%.

Bastards.

Changing subjects:

That canned chicken looks like an aborted embryo.

Yikes. :)

The post office did pull the invoice but it didn't look like they opened the package.

The boneless, skinless chicken looks much more appetizing.The beef is cut into cubes about 1 inch by1 inch. Very tender and easy to pull apart with a fork.

Actually, the only application I would think that canned chicken might be useful is for military personnel stationed in a remote position on the battlefield.

I guess it might be better than eating rats or squirrel. But then again... carrying it around presents a problem -- you'd need to be close to the supply truck.